Archived Gold 'n Plump chicken in Pfresh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else think the Gold 'n Plump chicken replacing Perdue is gonna be a failure? Apparently it last longer and we don't have to weigh it but it's pretty damn expensive, the packs are weird, and it's a name nobody knows. Plus we'll lose the ones that come in for the meat coupons. Of course it will probably even out or save corp money in the long run but this is really screwing the guests.

Our store has had Gold 'n Plump for a long time, it's actually a well known name in the midwest. I'll agree with you that those vacuum packs are very weird though. When I worked backroom and pulled/backstocked it, there would frequently be packs that the seal failed on and there was chicken juice/meat leaking inside the boxes and stuff. It was messy and made me worry about someone getting sick from it.

I think this will be a fail for sales, but awesome for workload and location accuracy!

It started today.
More expensive then Perdue and doesn't look all that much better.
Also you can't get different sizes.
Not sure how this is going to work out.
Personally not a big fan.

We were a test store for this and it has taken off wonderfully. I was skeptical at first but our numbers don't lie.

We were a test store for this and it has taken off wonderfully. I was skeptical at first but our numbers don't lie.

spread some of the luck!! We havent moved a single piece. until my PA had to TPC it because its shortdated now..

It's a runny mess at my store. We have to bag it up & clean up the surfaces whenever it comes through.

Gold'n Plump chicken that has replaced Perdue is up 10% in sales and the retails are lower.

Yeah we get rid of a lot too. Although I have had some cuts of it and it is pretty good. Too bad it looks like liquid chicken in the package.

How to sew a Gold 'n Plump chicken together to hold stuffing

If some of you aren't selling many Gold 'n Plump chickens, it's probably because comsumers have a major problem roasting the whole ones. These are intended to be roasted: there are roasting instructions on the package. But the chickens are cut through the muscle from the cavity all the way to the leg joint, and the breast skin is cut in a large semicircle that covers most of the breast. The first time I found this, Sunday dinner wasn't ready until almost 11 PM and everyone was disgruntled. Most cooks will look for another brand after the first time.

For those who really, really want to roast a Gold 'n Plump chicken, here are instructions for re-assembly:

1. Allow an extra 20 to 30 minutes prep time - more if you have to search for your sewing kit.

2. Thread a large, sharp needle with about 36" of dark thread. Dark thread is easier to find and pick out after the chicken is roasted.

3. The muscle layer of the chicken will be cut from the opening to the leg joint, and the breast skin will be cut in a large half-circle over the breast. Sewing the muscle layer first, then the skin, produces the best result.

4. To sew the muscle layer together, begin at the leg joint. Pass the thread through both halves of the cut muscle and the needle through the loop in the thread to anchor it, then sew small overhand stitches, holding chicken together, until you reach the opening through which you normally stuff the chicken. Tie off the thread.

5. To sew the breast skin together, begin at the edge of the large half-circle farthest from the opening. Anchor thread as before, and stitch the skin together neatly, without stretching, until you reach the opening through which you stuff the chicken. Tie off thread.

6. Stuff chicken; place in oven; roast as usual.

7. Apologize profusely to family, if they can still be found, for late Sunday dinner.

8. (Optional) Call the 800 number on the package and complain about the state in which you found your chicken.

I've complained repeatedly to Gold 'n Plump, but although they send a $5 coupon that essentially replaces the chicken, it still has to be sewn together before roasting. Maybe a large retailer like Target can get through to them when their customers can't!

I've only ever seen gold n plump at the stores I've worked at. (I'm out west, though). I haven't heard complaints really. I agree the packaging is weird.

At our store the golden plump whole chicken was replaced by foster farms whole chicken on the upcoming planogram. Getting a foster farms breast too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back