Archived Goodbye Spot, Hello Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having a lot of success as a PA at my store, averaged 38-39 hours a week, made okay money...but it wasn't worth it. I was dealing with an understaffed team, the new market roll out, truck schedule changes, a remodel, a fresh ETL and an incompetent team lead.

I was basically the food team leader without the title or the pay. I did everything that my TL did (or didn't do) and more. The team saw me as their leader, I completely owned the process and the department. The way the team turned around, the way our process evolved and the department as a whole started to succeed didn't seem to matter to a certain ETL. After being snapped at and chewed out on the sales floor in front of my team I decided I'd had enough. I thought a lot about becoming a TL and if anything would change or if it would be worth it.

My two weeks was up last week. I just accepted a job offer from Disneyland and I couldn't be happier. It's less pay and part time to start, but at this point in my life I can handle that. There's tons of room for growth and development where I'm headed and in the meantime I'm considering going back to school to finish my degree.

Good for you! Disney is a monstrously stable company and they originated a lot of what we call the "guest experience", so glad to know they'll have another hard worker who cares about that.

I've been saying this for the longest... The ones that ACTUALLY care about work and others leave Spot and the ones we honestly can give 2 shits about we can't seem to get rid of or they just won't leave on their own. It's really sad :(

I thought about this today actually.

I think it's because the quality workers wish to improve themselves and their work environment.

Leadership might not like this because :

1. They may question how things operate day-to-day, and try to make things run more efficiently, even if that's counter to how things are normally done.

2. Their high expectations of themselves and others may cause them to clash with TLs and TMs who they perceive are slacking / being a bad influence.

So in other words, great workers " rock the boat " and leadership doesn't like that.

So you end up with a system where bad workers are rewarded and good workers are punished ( for rocking the boat ) or just leave.

Reactions: Him
I'm a week into my new job and I couldn't be happier. I'm doing basically the same thing that I did in Pfresh, the only difference being that it's for a restaurant rather than a retail store. Adjusting to working in a kitchen has been interesting, but the work and stress is much less than I used to deal with at Target. Instead of an entire truck of seven foot pallets, I'm dealing with 2 full pallets and smaller shipments through the day. I have time to FIFO, clean and generally do a good job. It's incredibly rewarding and fulfilling to be able to do a job that I'm proud of and recognized for.

Before I left Target I used to have issues with acid reflux due to the stress. That has all gone away. I'm in a much better place now, and thanks to Target I have the experience and skill to thrive in my new environment.

Last edited:
Figured I'd post a little update nearly a year down the road. Although the position I applied for was part time, there has only been three or four weeks where I wasn't scheduled 40 hours (although the opportunity was there).

In November (6 months after I was hired) I applied for and became lead receiver at the highest volume restaurant at the entire resort. I couldn't be happier with the change I made. I have hard days, but so far the worst day at Disney has been better than an average day at Target. I have a feeling that if I had stayed at Target I'd be in the same position I was a year ago.

I was having a lot of success as a PA at my store, averaged 38-39 hours a week, made okay money...but it wasn't worth it. I was dealing with an understaffed team, the new market roll out, truck schedule changes, a remodel, a fresh ETL and an incompetent team lead.

I was basically the food team leader without the title or the pay. I did everything that my TL did (or didn't do) and more. The team saw me as their leader, I completely owned the process and the department. The way the team turned around, the way our process evolved and the department as a whole started to succeed didn't seem to matter to a certain ETL. After being snapped at and chewed out on the sales floor in front of my team I decided I'd had enough. I thought a lot about becoming a TL and if anything would change or if it would be worth it.

My two weeks was up last week. I just accepted a job offer from Disneyland and I couldn't be happier. It's less pay and part time to start, but at this point in my life I can handle that. There's tons of room for growth and development where I'm headed and in the meantime I'm considering going back to school to finish my degree.
I feel ya. I'm the same. Basically leading market without the title and pay. Just hanging in there though.

Figured I'd post a little update nearly a year down the road. Although the position I applied for was part time, there has only been three or four weeks where I wasn't scheduled 40 hours (although the opportunity was there).

In November (6 months after I was hired) I applied for and became lead receiver at the highest volume restaurant at the entire resort. I couldn't be happier with the change I made. I have hard days, but so far the worst day at Disney has been better than an average day at Target. I have a feeling that if I had stayed at Target I'd be in the same position I was a year ago.
grats ! From what I have seen at Target you are likely correct. IDK what it is but regardless of who the STL or ETL or TLs in my store are they just cannot spot talent ande promote a lot of lazy ppl. They fail to realize the worth of many of their hardworking employees. This produces less hard work obviosuly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back