Archived Goodbye Spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a job offer today in the field I think I'd like to pursue permanently. I can't discuss specifics because it could possibly give away my location, but the pay would be quite a bit more than I make at Spot, consistent hours, and some great benefits, including tuition reimbursement to help me finish my Master's degree. There are also numerous opportunities to move up within this company, which is well-known in my area.

I know it sounds kinda stupid, but I'm a little conflicted about leaving my store. I'm getting the ball rolling on moving up to TL (and it wouldn't happen for a minimum of about 6 months to who knows how long?) and I've been seeing some changes beginning to be made. My store depends on me for so much, and I feel like I'm going to be letting my friends down, and leaving them is going to be tough. I know I have to do what's best for me at the end of the day though. Above all, I need consistent hours and am tired of working so hard while other people don't. Still I'm not totally sure what to do.

I'd leave. You'll make new work friends.

And good luck!

I also was very conflicted about leaving. I was pursuing a SLTL position due to some turnover in my district, but got a job offer that paid more with another company (with paid holidays)! I thought it’d be super hard to leave Target, but I truly don’t regret it now. You have to do what is best for you, no matter how heartbreaking it is. Plus, you can always visit!

@Doglover89 I think you should definitely move on. Sounds like you got a great opportunity and you should definitely think about your future.

I don't think "because my store needs me" is a good reason for any of us to stay. Target is setup to exist without any one person. I don't know how many times we thought our store would fall apart because so and so left but life goes on. Someone else steps up and target continues to make a bunch of money.

I don't know anyone who gets mad about someone moving on. If they had the same great opportunity I'm sure they would move on too

It’s tough to leave no matter how crappy things get sometimes but realize the people you work with now might not be at Spot in 5 years. Do what’s best for you and not what’s best for them. If your friends truly support you, they will keep in touch with you after your time with Spot

Congratulations! I have said goodbye to plenty of great team members, and sincerely missed some of them. I was able to count on some of them to always do their best. Some were better trainers than me, and some were more organized. Some were so good, they seemed irreplaceable, but I never once begrudged them leaving.
The good ones want what is best for you, and this job sounds like just what you have been looking and hoping for. Put in your 2 weeks and work them out. On the miniscule chance that you want to return to Target, you will be able to with no problem.

Do what is best for you. It's kind of nice when you get the opportunity, Spot will be here forever, maybe, but in all honesty, if another job came up right away, more pay, more benefits, more everything, I'm going to miss everyone but no way would I delay my two-week notice.

I just rescinded my two weeks notice about a month ago now, and it was sort of bittersweet. I was ready to leave Target, I was kind up sad, but I was looking forward, then I got shat on all over. So, I'm back at Spot for probably the rest of the Holiday season, which isn't an issue, really.

Do what is best for you, two week resignation, and then begone! But visit us still...

Edit: edited for re-clarification

Last edited:
I got a job offer today in the field I think I'd like to pursue permanently. I can't discuss specifics because it could possibly give away my location, but the pay would be quite a bit more than I make at Spot, consistent hours, and some great benefits, including tuition reimbursement to help me finish my Master's degree. There are also numerous opportunities to move up within this company, which is well-known in my area.

I know it sounds kinda stupid, but I'm a little conflicted about leaving my store. I'm getting the ball rolling on moving up to TL (and it wouldn't happen for a minimum of about 6 months to who knows how long?) and I've been seeing some changes beginning to be made. My store depends on me for so much, and I feel like I'm going to be letting my friends down, and leaving them is going to be tough. I know I have to do what's best for me at the end of the day though. Above all, I need consistent hours and am tired of working so hard while other people don't. Still I'm not totally sure what to do.

Congratulations! :)

From reading what you wrote, it sounds like this new job is the best choice for you in every way. No guarantee of moving up in the near future at your current position versus a job in your desired field with tons of benefits; the latter definitely wins.

No, you don't sound stupid at all. It's natural to feel that way after establishing rapport with a team you've spent years with. Yes, they are going to struggle a little bit when you first leave but your store will find another person and things will be fine again. Most people that I've seen have been happy for their fellow TMs when they find a better job opportunity. Don't worry too much. I haven't seen anyone too peeved about others leaving unless they did so on barely any notice. Give two week's notice if you can and you should be fine.

Good luck!

tenor.gif

First of all..... Congrats ! The opportunity sounds IDEAL !! You have earned it !
Second..... it's always difficult to make a change like this; it's a huge part of your life (I had 15 yrs at my last company, I contemplated staying w/ them.... but I needed to move on; the environment was toxic. Sound familiar? )
And, it won't be wine and roses for the first few weeks at your new company, simply because you have to adapt to your new surroundings.... so your internal conflict will continue until you get into a routine/groove in your new role. From all your TBR posts... you have so much to offer the next company..... You'll "shine" without a doubt!
As Hardlinesmaster said.... Leave on good terms, in case you want to come back. And if you do come back...... go straight for TL. :)

Congrats!!! All I have to say is...TAKE THE JOB!!!!
Everyone is replaceable at Target and you might be amazing and your store might really depend on you, but trust me they will move on quickly.
Target plays so many games with people so I wouldn’t bank on the TL position. It would suck to pass this amazing opportunity up if it truly took longer than 6 months for the new position.
They dangled promotions in front of me for a good year and I finally accepted another job which was better hours, way better pay, and easier to move up. Pretty sure Target found out I accepted it because that’s when they promoted and relocated me so I ended up sticking with the promotion (moved my family across the country) and regretted it for a good 18 months until I was pushed out and blacklisted from working there again
Just leave on good terms

By all means leave on good terms, but this sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Prioritize yourself. Target (and all other business, for that matter) will always prioritize themselves.

Congratulations. Like everyone else has said, do what's best for you and your inner circle. Leave on good terms and live out your dreams!! Besides, you Always will have your "true" friends contact info outside of Spot and "The Breakroom" if you ever get the Target urge. :D:p. It is true, if your friends really are your friends, they too would echo our kind sentiments.

Congrats. It's hard to go but realistically Spot is in some seriously deep doo doo like other retailers. I watched Macy's Thanksgiving parade for the first time in years because I'm not confident there will be a Macy's next year.
Better money, different field- go for it.

Paid holidays, consistent hours, a career you might dig for the rest of your life. C'mon! You gotta give it a shot!

Reactions: Him
Go for it Doglover. Have followed your SL posts - it's your life and you have done your best for Spot. Who knows, your current leadership may wake up and realize they need to help the TM's are your store. If not, maybe you can help them find a better job at your new company.

Although, from personal experience I’d say join an employer and stick to them. Go the traditional “start from the bottom and move up”

Hi everyone,

I’m about five months out of Spot at this point and I miss it. My new job is just ok, and im just feeling down. I have a good consistent M-F daytime schedule including constant opportunities for overtime and great health insurance but it’s boring and I’m having a hard time fitting in with the people here who aren’t very welcoming to new folks. On the other hand, my store was remodeled so everything’s changed, and there have been management changes. I’m eligible for rehire afaik but not sure if I should go for it and reapply or what. Help.

Hi everyone,

I’m about five months out of Spot at this point and I miss it. My new job is just ok, and im just feeling down. I have a good consistent M-F daytime schedule including constant opportunities for overtime and great health insurance but it’s boring and I’m having a hard time fitting in with the people here who aren’t very welcoming to new folks. On the other hand, my store was remodeled so everything’s changed, and there have been management changes. I’m eligible for rehire afaik but not sure if I should go for it and reapply or what. Help.

@Doglover89 !!!! So nice to see,hear,read you again !!! I might be the only one who will encourage you to come back !! ;) Since it sounds like your new job gives you a steady routine dayside...... what if you joined Spot a few nights a week/ or on a Sat or Sun? Don't over-commit...... just dip your toe in the water! Obviously, your (old) store would love to have you back w/ your experience..... but make sure it's on YOUR terms! :)

You have to remember how long you were with spot & how long it took to establish yourself AND those friendships.
That doesn't happen in just a few months.
Also re-read some of your past posts as well as your first post in this thread.
It's easy to glamorize the past when you're no longer experiencing the daily drama that came with it.
All that aside, you might consider what sprinkle suggested & see about returning for a few nights/weekend here & there to see if your former store has really improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back