Archived Got fired from target then hired close by. Weird situation!!! Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So,, I live in a city and got hired at a target there. Worked there for about 5 months and got fired for some crappy reasons. Fast forward a few weeks and I am being hired at a place like a block away. Well I didn't really tell them that I had ever worked at target when I got hired and come to find out, one of the people in hr also works at this place I'm scared as hell now cause I really need a job. My question is basically do you all think I'm screwed? Like word is gonna get around back to the gm who hired me at this new place cause of this target hr person that works there as well? I'm just curious. Let me know your thoughts. Idk if he would say anything or just assume I was lucky enough to get the job even with the term.

well, if you hid it from your resume, if the employer finds out and decides they don't like that you hid it from them and find out the reason why you got fired, they're at full discretion to terminate your employment.

i'd just let it be, if no one talks about it, then you don't.

That's what I'm thinking. I hope it just blows over honestly

it will, honestly if said HR tm really cares, you probably would have been fired already. Most people opt to stay out of each other's business and are probably glad to see you move on so soon. If he's an ex-HR tm as well, then they really shouldn't care.

Learn from this mistake. You can list target on your app & just say left for family, school or better op. You may getting the job because of that former hr person knows you. This new job could lead to bigger things. Come to work every day when scheduled, work hard, & don't goof off or call out.

You worked there in a short amount of time so honestly not enough time to know everyone from all the stores and I dare say long enough that anyone from that store remembers you. Honestly I think your SSN should have came up in their records of prior employment so if that didn’t show up, then you should be fine. And Spot doesn’t come out and tell everyone that you were fired, you just aren’t simply mentioned again.

Like @Hardlinesmaster said, come to work every day when scheduled, work hard and don't goof or call out and you will be alright. You'd be surprise how many ppl go through Target each day worker-wise. If more than 20 ppl STILL remember you at the Target store you worked at, that is amazing. Ppl and life move on.

You're not required to list all your jobs on your resume, and it's not uncommon to leave short stints off of it. Putting stuff on your resume that you ddin't do is a Very Bad Thing, but leaving stuff off, less so. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would assume the HR person would have flagged your application before you got hired if it were going to be an issue.

Fix whatever mistakes led to you being fired from Target, try not to make too many new ones, and you should be fine.

Unless you got fired for theft or subordination, you are gonna be okay..

So,, I live in a city and got hired at a target there. Worked there for about 5 months and got fired for some crappy reasons. Fast forward a few weeks and I am being hired at a place like a block away. Well I didn't really tell them that I had ever worked at target when I got hired and come to find out, one of the people in hr also works at this place I'm scared as hell now cause I really need a job. My question is basically do you all think I'm screwed? Like word is gonna get around back to the gm who hired me at this new place cause of this target hr person that works there as well? I'm just curious. Let me know your thoughts. Idk if he would say anything or just assume I was lucky enough to get the job even with the term.

Just assume you have a 90-day probationary period, like most places. Go to work on time; do a great job, don't piss people off, don't steal, and don't do "whatever you got fired for" at Target, and you'll be fine !!!

I used to do the interviewing and hiring in a completely different industry, which was like retail in that it was high turnover and low pay. If I found out that an applicant left off their application a former job that was short-term and low-paying, I wouldn't think much of anything about it. A former employer isn't allowed to say why you no longer work for them, just confirm that you did and the dates of employment. In some states, a former employer is allowed to answer if you're eligible for re-hire.
So like others have said, show up on time for your shifts and do a good job. Don't give your new employer any reason to regret hiring you. And congratulations on your new job!

A former employer isn't allowed to say why you no longer work for them

They're allowed to, in that there's nothing legally stopping them from saying anything, but most employers don't do more than confirm employment for fear of getting sued.

They're allowed to, in that there's nothing legally stopping them from saying anything, but most employers don't do more than confirm employment for fear of getting sued.
Actually, at least in some states, there is something legally stopping them and it's that fear of being sued that you mention. That is a legal measure. If there was no fear of a lawsuit being decided against them, they'd say whatever they want.

Which is different than not being allowed to. Companies are not forbidden from doing so, and some do give actual references rather than just employment dates, but many choose not to.

To tell someone that their former employer isn't allowed to do more than confirm dates could put them in an unfortunate situation, if their former employer is pleased to tell anyone who calls all about their previous misdeeds.

I always leave off my first two jobs from apps including my Target one and it's never been an issue as far as I'm aware. Reason being that they were both temp seasonal positions that I sucked at (being 14 - 16 years old) and because nobody that I worked with at the time is still there or would remember me anyway, and I like to use references from supervisors that I've actually worked with who have good things to say.

I've had quite a few jobs and it gets tiresome filling out all those different companies into the Employment History fields and trying to remember supervisor's names. I usually just say fuck it and go with the most recent three since there are no suspicious gaps between them.

I always leave off my first two jobs from apps including my Target one and it's never been an issue as far as I'm aware. Reason being that they were both temp seasonal positions that I sucked at (being 14 - 16 years old) and because nobody that I worked with at the time is still there or would remember me anyway, and I like to use references from supervisors that I've actually worked with who have good things to say.

I've had quite a few jobs and it gets tiresome filling out all those different companies into the Employment History fields and trying to remember supervisor's names. I usually just say fuck it and go with the most recent three since there are no suspicious gaps between them.
So, usually, how many jobs a year do you go “ through”?

I’ve been with other companies on top of Target but the last dual job was 8 years ago so I don’t even list those companies anymore because they were entry level positions anyways. You only need employment of the last 10 years anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not required to list all your jobs on your resume, and it's not uncommon to leave short stints off of it. Putting stuff on your resume that you ddin't do is a Very Bad Thing, but leaving stuff off, less so. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would assume the HR person would have flagged your application before you got hired if it were going to be an issue.

Fix whatever mistakes led to you being fired from Target, try not to make too many new ones, and you should be fine.
You don't need to list them all on your resume, but the job application itself might require a detailed work history. A friend of mine recently applied to UPS Freight and the application required 10 years of work history and explanations for any gaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back