Termination

Confused about why you think they aren't doing their job? They are excellent at what they do. Either way, your comment was not needed nor additive to this conversation.
I think you are the one confused . You said that it has been departments performance therefor he/she is not doing their job. If your Sd was “excellent” at what they do they wouldn’t be talked too.
You seemed to be way to invested in this situation . And clearly not all the details are known to you .

Does Target use PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) differently than everywhere else? Everywhere else a PIP is a plan to "get your shit together in the next x days or your fired", and it's usually a list of specific goals & milestones that need to be met or you're gone.

Does Target use PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) differently than everywhere else? Everywhere else a PIP is a plan to "get your shit together in the next x days or your fired", and it's usually a list of specific goals & milestones that need to be met or you're gone.
yes unfortunately and it sucks lol

That's so weird. And dumb. The fact that you'd have a "performance improvement plan" as a meaningless thing before a corrective action is really nonsensical.

Yeah, their PIP is just the last step to Performancing you out the door.
It doesn't matter what you do or how well you perform, it's just part of the paperwork they are filling out to make sure you can't get them for firing you unjustly.
Because if their is anything Spot is good at, it's making sure their paperwork is in order.

PIP is different at the executive level. When we moved to Workday, coachings started to be under Performance Improvement Plan--Performance Conversations. ETL and up don't really get coached. I'm not sure who OP is to the person in question. It is a bit concerning that he has unloaded all of this on one of his employees. And, of course we are getting only one side of the story.

There's a lot that happens behind closed doors or on phone screens that TLs, ETLs, and TMs don't ever see or hear about. If an SD is on their way out regardless of tenure their store must be really hurting. In some form or another there has to be a reason a DSD is all of a sudden ratcheting up the pressure. Things like this just don't happen out of the blue. DSD's don't have an up and coming new toy leader they wanna give a test run to. If they do have leaders in the pipe to become SD's they find them homes. They can legit go to any district so something isn't adding up here. I'm trying to stay constructive and open minded about the situation but something doesn't smell right.

I know someone who has been with Target for over 20 years, has climbed the ladder and has been an STL for several years now. Always recognized as a hard worker and super passionate. He recently got a new boss who is now trying to push him out. No known performance issue documentation at all, but has now been told he's going on a PIP. This seems completely insane. How can Target do this? Do you think he has grounds to get legal involved?

Side note, he is unsure of severance policy if he is terminated. Can anyone answer that?
A store director ( not stl ) that has been with target for years, knows the severance policy. Which is nothing. Severance is for people laid off, job eliminated. Severance is not for people performanced out.

Last edited:
yeah you kinda can't just be put on a performance improvement plan for no reason... so this has been a long time coming. a year at a minimum unless there's some conduct behavior going on here..... 🤔

I know someone who has been with Target for over 20 years, has climbed the ladder and has been an STL for several years now. Always recognized as a hard worker and super passionate. He recently got a new boss who is now trying to push him out. No known performance issue documentation at all, but has now been told he's going on a PIP. This seems completely insane. How can Target do this? Do you think he has grounds to get legal involved?

Side note, he is unsure of severance policy if he is terminated. Can anyone answer that?
Why the hell would your SD share that info with you/team. If he had been with Target 20+ years he knows a pdd is a slap on the wrist, and its quite comical he wants to get legal involved over a pdd for a bad visit.

Yall are funny. Reading all this is cracking me up. And really showing that most of yall really have no idea what actually goes on at Target behind closed doors. Also pretty naive to think I work for this person, or that this person leads my team. I do not work for Target (thank God). Since I posted this I've found out about a lot of what happens to people at Target when they are being pushed out. I'll just say that most of you are incorrect in what you think you know. Hopefully you don't have to find out, but something tells me that you will...Thanks for no help - assholes.

Yall are funny. Reading all this is cracking me up. And really showing that most of yall really have no idea what actually goes on at Target behind closed doors. Also pretty naive to think I work for this person, or that this person leads my team. I do not work for Target (thank God). Since I posted this I've found out about a lot of what happens to people at Target when they are being pushed out. I'll just say that most of you are incorrect in what you think you know. Hopefully you don't have to find out, but something tells me that you will...Thanks for no help - assholes.
So you’re not a target employee, and you’re telling target employees we don’t know what goes on at Target?

I truly don’t have words

why the hell did you even post here then lmfao

You’re welcome!

Back