Archived GSA interview tips & tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flabbergasted

Ex-GSA
After countless eons of me griping about wanting GSA, being scheduled as GSA but not getting paid for it, etc., I have finally been offered an interview by my ETL and the STL. My interview with the ETL is today and STL sometime next week. What sort of advices do you guys have for these interviews? Is it true they're mostly a formality? How should I dress and what kinds of questions should I expect today/next week?

Thank ye kindly! I look forward to being GSA. :)

It will be straight forward. Have a few situations in mind to talk about concerning times you worked as part of a group, time you had lots on your plate, time you made a mistake, and a time you gave great guest service. Plan on explaining why you want to be a GSA, what experience you have, and what are your strengths and opps. Should be it.

I glanced over the GSA interview guide recently and they are all situational questions. Before your interview, try to think of examples where you gave great guest service, solved a problem, or worked well with another team member. My GSA interview was only a few questions ("If you ring up an item for $17.99 and the guest insists that it is $15.99, what do you do?", something like "If there are blinking register lights, a guest service team member asking for help, and Electronics is asking for change, how would you resolve the situation?", and "A guest is looking for a pair of shoes she saw online and our store is currently sold out, how would you respond?")

Your interviewers will also ask questions that will help them see how dependable you will be as a GSA. Just be sure to give examples that will showcase your experience and problem-solving skills. Good luck!

Passed the interview! I sit down with the STL for a final interview. I'm so excited.

catching up from old thread. its weird they give you keys and make an lod close down lanes. any team member can do it like any team member can open a lane.

its weird they give you keys and make an lod close down lanes. any team member can do it like any team member can open a lane.

Uh no, you cannot close or open registers without Supervisor numbers, with the exception of Pharmacy and Guest Service which can be opened/closed with Guest Service numbers.

Well, I had my interview with the STL. I don't think I did so well, unfortunately. I felt unable to answer a lot of questions honestly, gave half-assed answers, and took a while to give those answers. But I really can't tell what he's going to say as far as whether I got the job or not; I find out when I next head in for work in a few days.

Wish me luck, TBR. I think it'll be a miracle if this works out.

Well, I had my interview with the STL. I don't think I did so well, unfortunately. I felt unable to answer a lot of questions honestly, gave half-assed answers, and took a while to give those answers. But I really can't tell what he's going to say as far as whether I got the job or not; I find out when I next head in for work in a few days.

Wish me luck, TBR. I think it'll be a miracle if this works out.

I know it's a little late for this now but for next time.

Pick five things that are really important about being a GSA, say Great Customer Service, Highly Organized, Manage People, Good Under Stress, and Knowledge of Procedures.
Make sure these are things that you are very good at and have examples to prove, a little story or two.

Now every time they ask a question, turn it around so you are hitting them with those five traits.
Repeat them over and over.
No matter what they ask, get those traits in their face.
You want to say each one of those at least three, if not seven times.
When you see a politician not answering a question but switching it around to meet their canned answer, that's kinda what you have to do.
Don't worry about them stopping you or giving you a hard time, if you sound confident and sure of yourself that will sell it.

Now if they ask, is there something you think is bad or wrong with you?
Say something like, "I work too hard and care too much." or "I'm my own worst critic and want things to be perfect."
Bullshit answers really but it keeps you out of the danger zone.

I know it's a little late for this now but for next time.

Pick five things that are really important about being a GSA, say Great Customer Service, Highly Organized, Manage People, Good Under Stress, and Knowledge of Procedures.
Make sure these are things that you are very good at and have examples to prove, a little story or two.

Now every time they ask a question, turn it around so you are hitting them with those five traits.
Repeat them over and over.
No matter what they ask, get those traits in their face.
You want to say each one of those at least three, if not seven times.
When you see a politician not answering a question but switching it around to meet their canned answer, that's kinda what you have to do.
Don't worry about them stopping you or giving you a hard time, if you sound confident and sure of yourself that will sell it.

Now if they ask, is there something you think is bad or wrong with you?
Say something like, "I work too hard and care too much." or "I'm my own worst critic and want things to be perfect."
Bullshit answers really but it keeps you out of the danger zone.

So you don't think I got the job?

Immediately after the interview, one of the ETLs I interviewed with said "98% chance" I got the position.

I don't know.

If the ETL says 98% that sounds pretty good.

The tips I was giving are just general stuff for interviews in general.

He also gave me a red polo shirt, saying he expects leaders to look presentable. Said it was also recognition for all that I've done.

I don't know if that means anything. Unfortunately, I couldn't read him well, but if I had to make an educated guess as to his answer I feel like I'd have to lean towards no. But I'm also not very self-confident.

First off to be on the front lines like a GSA is you have to at the very least pretend to have confidence.

Giving you the shirt actually sounds like a first step.
If he's telling you he wants you to dress like a leader, it means he is grooming you to be one.

Step up, act with fortitude and don't worry to much.

No commie, do not stress great customer service as a skill. using the word customer is an automatic misstep at Target :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back