Archived GSTL huddle topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

CleanMyBackRoOm

Hard lines Wizard
Hey guys and gals,

I've been a GSTL for almost a year now, I always detested the day I was going to become a GSTL I knew it was unavoidable basically because of my previous experience as a GSA. I do my best to do what I can to keep the front end running smoothly in my store and it does go extremely smooth. There's hardly ever any hiccups; I never need an LOD to take care of guest issues. I would say that I am almost always able to diffuse a situation on my own without any higher interaction because the guests trust me.

However recently and over the past couple months (I want to say coached but it's basically completely destroyed and given my ass handed to me by my STL) over huddle topics. I come to huddle, and speak up about red cards, and give our goals and what we've reached in the past couple days and then I pass the baton off to the next leader at huddle to talk about their spiel. Than inevitably I get called back to the office and get pounded saying what I bring to huddle has no value.

I'm not sure what else I am supposed to talk about. Over the past few weeks I have tried to throw in some differentiating things like how to do defectives, how to process your own hot spots. Teaching people how to basically do things for themselves instead of just leaving it for my guest service person to deal with. To no avail though; It hasn't changed a thing.

I stopped talking about REDcards because they started really pushing these garbage SRP's by squaretrade that are quite possibly some of the worst people to deal with outside of a health insurer. I'm not really sure what else to talk about at huddles. I really love Target but I am really hating this position 100%.

This kinda shit is why I'm glad to be a CA.

Our GSA/GSTL never go to huddle. I mean what are you supposed to say that has “value” for the sales floor TMs?

Who's gonna be speedweaving and shit???

since when do Gstls go to huddles? we used to do ones for cashiers, but it didn't last. Talk about service. That's number 1?

Sorry for thread hijacking, but as a hardlines TL that usually has 0-1 of my team members at a huddle, I’m finding myself also not really having shit to say. Anything actually important would really only be for my mid, and I fill them in on that when they get to work. I don’t get talked to or in trouble at all for it but still curious what the hell to talk about besides sales comps. Can’t really talk about product launches because my VM also goes to huddle and that’s her thing to talk about lol.

“hey guys, I’m pulling batches today so listen for my callboxes thanks oh and home was up 12.38% last week”

You can recognize TMs that come up for back and emphasize the importance of a fast , friendly check out experience. Also see if you can give away a few of those red card shirts as recognition for sales floor TMs who respond quickly to back up calls.
Try to educate sales floor TMs on how to pitch red cards. Talk about pushing “protection plans” on certain items. Talk about keeping the CLs zoned and full.

Usually the LOD communicates anything GSTL/FOS related during huddles. Anything trending at the front that TMs responding need to know - trending activity up at the front, coupon fraud, new policies, occasional testing of the team on acceptable IDs, anything related to NPS, surveys, etc.

To the people confused about gstls going to huddle.... we don’t I’m assuming the OP is referring to the one minute huddles were required to do with all the cashiers everyday.

To the OP some suggestions and what I do is make a weekly huddle sheet on sundays and include: this weeks coupons in the ad, software updates (this week is the gift card in wallet), store specific issues you’re having your team work on, and then there’s the generic huddle topics you can always sprinkle in like redlining, greeting guests, and the cashiers $20 empowerment policy. Also not that this is a good thing but there’s always something that some cashier does every week that’s dumb or breaks a policy that I’ll throw in to remind all the cashiers/gs that we can’t do that.

All I can say is you guys are lucky you don’t have to go to huddles. Ours are done at our front end. So we’re essentially dead at 830 when we have ours. Therefor speedweaving isn’t really needed at the time. So I have no choice but to attend.

Required daily one minute cashier huddles? Hahahahhahahahaha!

I can tell you for a fact that in the 3 years I've worked in my store, there has NEVER been a cashier huddle.

Start with recognition of specific people. Talk about wins in the department. Talk about making sure they’re interacting with guests. Talk about a new trick you learned that can help them. Remind them of proper cleaning routines in the front end. Give everyone a task to complete as a team like wipe down and dust checklanes. Depending on the size of your team that’s a quick 10 or 15 minute huddle right there.

To the people confused about gstls going to huddle.... we don’t I’m assuming the OP is referring to the one minute huddles were required to do with all the cashiers everyday.

To the OP some suggestions and what I do is make a weekly huddle sheet on sundays and include: this weeks coupons in the ad, software updates (this week is the gift card in wallet), store specific issues you’re having your team work on, and then there’s the generic huddle topics you can always sprinkle in like redlining, greeting guests, and the cashiers $20 empowerment policy. Also not that this is a good thing but there’s always something that some cashier does every week that’s dumb or breaks a policy that I’ll throw in to remind all the cashiers/gs that we can’t do that.

I don't even know where to begin on commenting on your post.

One minute required huddles? Specific to your store?

Umm, red lining?

$20 empowerment policy?

The g/c in wallet has been an issue at my store Mon and Tue, but we've been told to make it right for the guest. IE: force in a g/c for the guest.

This is simple.

1) Recognition (top RedCard Performers, sales floor backup responders, guest experience, etc)
2) MyGuest aka NPS (talk about the trends you see with surveys. Which area needs attention, and how you plan on addressing that. Special recognition to the people specific mentioned on guest feedback, etc.)
3) Tips such as not writing "Target" under pay to on WiC checks (compliance violation and very important)
4) RedCard goals
5) Expectations you're setting up with your team that affects others (like "the GS team will be doing charge back during these times but after that we won't be accepting charge back and backroom will take over". Just a random example)

I think your STL will see those things as useful.

As a GSTL I go to huddles like once a week but if we have a GSA in the building to cover I'm obligated to go no matter what.

I don't even know where to begin on commenting on your post.

One minute required huddles? Specific to your store?

Umm, red lining?

$20 empowerment policy?

The g/c in wallet has been an issue at my store Mon and Tue, but we've been told to make it right for the guest. IE: force in a g/c for the guest.
Most of these are at least district wide and quite honestly I think group... every time our DTL visits he questions the gsa/gstl what their huddle topics for the day and the LOD checks daily.
Redlining is in older thing and quite possibly store specific but it’s the equivalent to what some stores would call “hosting” or standing out front your register when you don’t have a guest.
And for the $20 dollar empowerment I know is a company wide thing and at the very least because we had a GSTL that has worked at 5 different targets Across the country and it’s been a thing at every store. Anything over $20 dollars price change wise calls a supervisor so the cashiers are empowered to make it right and change a price within that $20s. Example a vacuum rings in 139.99 and the guest says it’s supposed to be 119.99... well the cashiers are empowered because that is reasonable and it satisfies the guest.

Most of these are at least district wide and quite honestly I think group... every time our DTL visits he questions the gsa/gstl what their huddle topics for the day and the LOD checks daily.
Redlining is in older thing and quite possibly store specific but it’s the equivalent to what some stores would call “hosting” or standing out front your register when you don’t have a guest.
And for the $20 dollar empowerment I know is a company wide thing and at the very least because we had a GSTL that has worked at 5 different targets Across the country and it’s been a thing at every store. Anything over $20 dollars price change wise calls a supervisor so the cashiers are empowered to make it right and change a price within that $20s. Example a vacuum rings in 139.99 and the guest says it’s supposed to be 119.99... well the cashiers are empowered because that is reasonable and it satisfies the guest.

Wow!

My store doesn't do any of this. The GSTLs don't have a set amount for cashiers to change a price, but have seemed to let anything go in the past 2 weeks to avoid any negative guest feedback.

Redlining: I was thinking the dictionary version; denying loans due to an area being considered to be a financial risk. However, we are expected to stand out front to greet guests, ask to ring them out.

We have no cashier huddles other than "Hi, how are you?" Although all the front end is great about thanking us at the end of our shift.

Our front end leaders are in consistent about coupon policy, but seem to be drifting to accept anything as long as it's not expired.

We also don't discuss redcards. I do not know my store's goal: it's not discussed, not posted, NOTHING.

Now we've had 3 upper level visits in the past month, but don't know who was there other than being told it was my STL's boss's boss. So who would that be?

I suspect that our front end is floundering so much because the ETL is both GE and SF. Front end is very neglected. S/He doesn't know the money procedures on the lanes, how GS procedures are done and nothing about SB.

Kind of jealous about your stores. I am just a cashier at my store, ring up guests' purchases and bag 'em. Nothing to try and connect me to the store or process.

Have you asked for guidance as to what the asshole is looking for?
If you look at them with wide puppy dog eyes and beg to filled with their genius you might get some idea as to what kind of bullshit they are looking for.

I've been rambling about the exclusive deals lately this week for online purchases. I'm not entirely positive if that's what they're looking for but hey... at least it's something.

We get one on one huddles- usually as we arrive at the lanes but only when something new comes up-specific coupon fraud or counterfeit info or they want to remind us about stuff-like BOB and lisa. Some times its weeks between updates. Right now a primer on how Shipt works and how we are to sell it (to guest/ those we are advocating for?) and maybe a little heads up on the changes that will be coming with store modernization- yes I just read the 42 page post but it was a little rambly and cut it down to a brief overview of what it means for the store and the front end specifically.

Back in the day when GSTLs were able to leave the front in the mornings when it’s slow, I went to huddles for Starbucks samples and said nothing.

Our GSTL talks about the Cartwheel deals for the week at our huddles, and goes over reminders about price matching policy and stuff like that where the salesfloor says things that cause problems up front. But yeah, definitely recognize the TMs who respond quickly for backup, at least at my store we always seem to have better responses to backup calls when our GSTL who makes the salesfloor TMs feel appreciated for coming up is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back