Archived Guest Services Training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starmaster1000

Master NCR Torture Device Operator
I'm kinda bored of cashiering all the time.
I want to be yelled at instead and would like to be cross-trained to work the Guest Services desk.

• What do I need?
  • Been here 60 days
  • Is it better not to be cross-trained?
  • Will I regret it?
  • What all does it consist of?

If you’re ok with

A) getting yelled at. When I say yelled at I mean yelled at
B) learning a TON of new stuff all at once
C) creating a good experience consistent with target policies (sometimes an oxymoron)

Then yes, talk to GSTL or etl ge for shifts over there

Go for it! Training will probably take several shifts because there's a lot to learn. I started at GS, spent a single 4 hour shift training on a register, and another 4 days training at GS before they scheduled me solo up there. And I was still asking questions for months, partly because my training was pretty haphazard.

Guest service is scary and nerve wracking when you first start but after you get the hang of it you’ll love it. At my store guest service consists of returns/exchanges, fixing cashier “mistakes”, price adjustments, price matching, helping with registries, doing order pickups, photo lab, doing defectives and sorting all the reshop that’s collected around the store. Oh and dealing with target.com on the phone for complex online returns which is the worst thing ever but still better than being on a lane. Oh and like Amanda said you get the angriest and also most stupid customers in the store so be prepared to argue a lot

Guest service is scary and nerve wracking when you first start but after you get the hang of it you’ll love it. At my store guest service consists of returns/exchanges, fixing cashier “mistakes”, price adjustments, price matching, helping with registries, doing order pickups, photo lab, doing defectives and sorting all the reshop that’s collected around the store. Oh and dealing with target.com on the phone for complex online returns which is the worst thing ever but still better than being on a lane. Oh and like Amanda said you get the angriest and also most stupid customers in the store so be prepared to argue a lot
Angry rude guest > calling target.com

Thanks y'all! I'm gonna talk to my ETL about it tomorrow.

They said they'd put it into my schedule at some point.

I'm just curious what you mean when you say "price adjustments", Leo. Are you referring to when a guest completes a payment for their items at a checklane, looks at their receipt, and then realizes that the item(s) rang up at a higher price than what they expected (what the sign said), and is directed to guest services? Should cashiers be fixing this just like cashiers should fix "mistakes" like double-scanned items, missed coupons, or missed gift receipts. It might depend on the method of payment, but do you think the best way to handle a "price adjustment" after the guest paid is to void their payment and then go back to the original screen and adjust the price, or just give a store coupon to make up the difference in price?

do you think the best way to handle a "price adjustment" after the guest paid is to void their payment and then go back to the original screen and adjust the price, or just give a store coupon to make up the difference in price?
none of the above. best way to fix a price mistake is scan the receipt, k6 fix a mistake, ksomething wrong price. or just return and rebuy at correct price.

post void shouldn't be used for fixing 1-2 items... it's not worth the trouble, and store coupons should never be used to adjust a price bc then if the guest returns the item the system gives them back the full amount.

none of the above. best way to fix a price mistake is scan the receipt, k6 fix a mistake, ksomething wrong price. or just return and rebuy at correct price.

post void shouldn't be used for fixing 1-2 items... it's not worth the trouble, and store coupons should never be used to adjust a price bc then if the guest returns the item the system gives them back the full amount.
I see Amanda, thank you for letting me know about the K button for wrong price. I don't think I've ever used that before and I will try it or ask a GSTL about it when I have the chance. With regards to post voiding, I was usually worried about it if a guest paid by credit or debit card and their card would be charged twice before the original payment was cleared or deleted in their account. Is that what you mean by the trouble caused by post-voiding?

It's been a tough place to work only because of the amount of work and lack of backup, but I find it way more interesting than scanning and bagging.

I would die before going back to a lane.

I see Amanda, thank you for letting me know about the K button for wrong price. I don't think I've ever used that before and I will try it or ask a GSTL about it when I have the chance. With regards to post voiding, I was usually worried about it if a guest paid by credit or debit card and their card would be charged twice before the original payment was cleared or deleted in their account. Is that what you mean by the trouble caused by post-voiding?
Yes that’s what I meant. Sometimes post void is easier (same day forgot Cartwheel/category coupon/redcard for large order) but for a few items it’s usually not.

Whenever I postvoid I explain “youllget a credit for the first amount in a few days, and I’m going to charge you for the new amount.” Then be sure to hand them the Post Void Guest Copy that prints out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back