Archived Guests Questioning price-- how to respond

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a newbie.. and had a couple of incidents that I need directions:

1) Guest advised product had a 10% sign on the shelf but product rang up full price.. I check the flyer and didn't see it and suggested guest check at guest services... Was there something else I could of done myself?
2) this was a big one and I think I really got scammed..i man has a baby car seat in a cart.. I scan it and it rings up a price but he customer flashes his phone with a picture of the car seat with a price of 60 less... I had no training on guest challenging prices.. so I was changed the price and was surprised it went through.. later that day,, I thought damn that car seat could of been from another store.. why did I let this smuck "bully" me into accepting his line... the store I work at is sooo sooo busy that the TL at the front of lines frowns on many questions.. but man 60 dollars could of just walked out the door..

Don't take a guests word for it when they try to show you something on their phone. Some guests try that in my store, but the pics they've taken are often from other stores or taken of old signage.

My rule of thumb is mostly $20 or less, use best judgement. Over time, that judgement gets better.

1) If you're not comfortable changing the price for the guest, then turn your light on and the GSA/GSTL will help you. They'll most likely call that department to check for misplaced signs. If by chance there is a misplaced sign for the product, the leader will change the price for the guest. Sometimes though, it's busy and the leader might just change the price for the guest and kit K2 for Guest Price Challenge, which then is sent to the PCV report and the LOD (or whoever does PCV at your store) will check for incorrect signs. After a while, you'll get comfortable with dealing with these situations and can use your best judgement.

2) It sounds like that scenario could have been the guest trying to price match from another store. Cashiers now have the ability to price match at the lanes (used to be exclusively for guest services to do) but you will need to verify a few things. Make sure the guest is on a legitimate retailer's website, instead of just a google search or a picture saved on their phone. We can't price match from a screenshot or pic on their phone because we don't know how old the picture could be. Cashiers are empowered to price match a difference of up to $20, anything more than that you will need to flip your light on and the GSA/GSTL will have to approve it.

Hope this helps!

Also dont beat yourself up. I got scammed once, I later helped my store app a quick change artist. The fact you are thinking is a good thing. Many cashiers turn their brain off and just scan.

Yeah I have also done a few no-no's in the beginning. Don't sweat it.
If a guest is talking about anything price related on the floor, just call over the gsa or anyone with a walkie and ask for the sales floor TM of that department to do a visual check on the price.
As for my store, anything price change related goes to gust service.

If the picture is of good quality, you can ask the guest to zoom in on the price tag and check the bottom corner to see the sale's end date. Still, it could have been a picture from another store, so in that case I would flip on your blinker and say, "I'm sorry sir, I have to have my supervisor approve this due to the high price difference. It'll just take a moment." Most times when guests have pictures of sale signs on their phones, they know they're doing something wrong.

Target's rule of thumb for price challenges is to go ahead and change it if it's within $20, but I also advise cashiers to be wary if the discrepancy is more than 50% of the original price. Some unscrupulous shoppers seem to have figured out the $20 rule, and will take advantage of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back