Archived Guys that work in Softlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuestWho

"Putting the 'Hard' in 'Hardlines'"
I hadn't noticed until today, but I am the only male in Softlines at my Target.

This got me wondering, are any of you males working Softlines? And what do the female team members think of male Softline team members?

Personally, it's not my dream job. The STL needed someone to work in Men's clothing Dept., and I was happy to oblige. That said, I love the team that works Softlines. And there's no better feeling than helping a guest and getting a good review, or having a guest tell a LOD how helpful I was.

But what do you all think?

Currently no guys on the team. One time we had an older guy and he would constantly use the "I'm a man, what do I know about fashion" card. Like. Hey. I get it. Softlines can be a lot of stuff to learn sometimes. But the cargo shorts obviously shouldn't be put on the rack with flat front chino shorts just because they are also khaki. SMH.

When I started in A&A I was one of only two guys, but I never really gave it much thought. I definitely got some strange looks whenever I was assigned to intimates

Some guest can be touchy about that. Back when we had in-stocks scanning intimates we had a guest complaint that there were too many male employees over there. So we lost her business. *shrug*

I'm sorry. If I'm looking for a black balconette bra with convertible straps in a certain size and you can find it quickly for me, I don't care who you are.

Some guest can be touchy about that. Back when we had in-stocks scanning intimates we had a guest complaint that there were too many male employees over there. So we lost her business. *shrug*

I'm sorry. If I'm looking for a black balconette bra with convertible straps in a certain size and you can find it quickly for me, I don't care who you are.
Well to be honest, I was clueless as to what I was looking at so I wouldn’t have been much help. Thankfully I was never over there very much

We have two out of twenty fiveish.

When I was hiring I tried to put a few more over there, because IME diverse teams get along better. But they all flaked after a few weeks. I think they didn’t expect to spend forty hours zoning only to have a tornado walk through every five minutes.

We have at least 4 males in softlines, use to have more. This didn’t happen until recently (last two years). Prior to that we only had one at a time and it was always a team lead.

I think they didn’t expect to spend forty hours zoning only to have a tornado walk through every five minutes.

Tornados can be demoralizing for sure. When people ask why I'm not mad when that stuff happens, I try to preach "healthy resignation." It's like, I care because I want things to look nice, but at the same time idgaf. But yeah. I get that it's frustrating.

At my store, there’s only one male A&A TM as far as I’m aware and most of the female A&A TMs get along with him from what I’ve noticed. He’s pretty chill and I appreciate the countless times he responded to back up cashiering when no one else did.

We did have a couple of guys in A&A during Q4, but they didn’t make the cut after January

There's only one male TM on my team of ≈20. I've hired two others, but one didn't pan out & the other left for greener pastures. Before I was moved to A&A, my counterpart was the only TL in the department for four years and it seemed, to me anyway, that she really didn't like to hire males for the team and constantly complained about them 😬

The one male TM we have now is pretty good and gets along with the rest of the team.

I have helped in softlines for awhile a few years ago. never want to do it again. the work isnt hard and my coworkers were helpful but the females i had to assist degraded my "fashion sense" and as a previous poster said, ya get weird looks trying to help find intimate stuff. "look lady i seen breasts and know what a bra is. what assistance do you need?". dont know why but i felt as though i got zero respect as a fellow human being.

Thanks everybody for your input! So far my experience has been pretty good.

I get along with all my female TMs. I've only been working at Target for about a month, yet I've gotten countless attaboys from the manager. I get a good review from a guest at least once a day. And I work my rear off to do my job perfectly.

The only awkward/hilarious moment I had was when I was scheduled to work all day in intimates. We all had a good laugh, that day!

My only real complaint is whoever used to work in Men's before me (I'm the only one stationed there now) made a real mess of things. Overstock, misplaced items- and don't even get me started on Men's Essentials!

But I'm doing my best to fix it.

TL;DR I enjoy my job, and am good at it. Thanks everybody for replying!

We've had two men working SL since I started, but none at the moment. One was one of the best TMs in the store and he's sorely missed.

The ETL & TL of Softlines are both male and we also have 2 male TMs. But the majority are female TMs.

We have 2 guys in Softlines. One normally does shoes or fitting room. The other is a older guy that does RTW

We have a Softlines TL that is a guy, probably 30. And then we have one TM but he’s in high school and only works like one night a week. I think he just does it to hang out with all the Softlines girls...

We don’t have any currently but the ones we’ve had over the past few years have all been (very openly and loudly, I’m not making assumptions) gay. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Definitely didn’t have to worry about them trying to hook up with the softlines girls.

At my old store, one of my friends was a TL for softlines. He came over from electronics, and loved it. He told me it was a good change of pace. Sometimes the closing guy TLs would come over and help us fold tables, saying it was a good way to decompress. That was always fun.

At my current store, we have a couple over there, and sometimes a veteran hardlines male TM might get a shift over there. No one really says boo about it.

I think we have 60% girls and 40% guys in our softlines, it’s almost even I’d say, and they interchange sections a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back