Archived Hardlines TM

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLN13

Hardlines TM
Does anyone have any ideas for a Hardlines TM ago really stick out? Kinda copying the GSTL post thing :p

I've been here a few months and I wanna make sure I don't just blend in with everyone else, I really do want to grow throughout the company. Does anyone have tips for standing out?

I already make sure I'm helping with backups, I run around covering electronics/cosmetics breaks, and then do obvious things like stray/freight/zoning or the occasional end-cap filling or whatever other projects my ETL's have for me.

How can I stand out?

Sounds like you've got a good grip on things. Pardon the few redundant points but here's my advice:

1 - Cross train for everything you can. Before I became a TPS, I was trained in Hardlines, Cashier, Planogram (kinda), Electronics, Carts, Flexible Fulfillment, Backroom (kinda) and p-fresh. I could pretty much tackle anything on the sales floor that my team needed.

2 - Pick up as many shifts as you can. Let your ETL's know that if they need a body, they can count on you. Someone puts a shift up on the swap sheet? Take it. Someonecalled out? Volunteer to stay later. Just don't hit OT.

3 - Take initiative. Don't be a wannabe team leader and slave drive your fellow team members, but try to do what your ETL's and TL's want you to do before they even ask. Done with the zone? Check out CAF and re-shop, and knock out whatever is most backed up. Front lanes are getting long lines? Jump on for backup before they even call for it.

4 - Be responsible. Punch on time, don't hit compliance, follow best practice as often as possible.

Sounds like you've got a good grip on things. Pardon the few redundant points but here's my advice:

1 - Cross train for everything you can. Before I became a TPS, I was trained in Hardlines, Cashier, Planogram (kinda), Electronics, Carts, Flexible Fulfillment, Backroom (kinda) and p-fresh. I could pretty much tackle anything on the sales floor that my team needed.

2 - Pick up as many shifts as you can. Let your ETL's know that if they need a body, they can count on you. Someone puts a shift up on the swap sheet? Take it. Someonecalled out? Volunteer to stay later. Just don't hit OT.

3 - Take initiative. Don't be a wannabe team leader and slave drive your fellow team members, but try to do what your ETL's and TL's want you to do before they even ask. Done with the zone? Check out CAF and re-shop, and knock out whatever is most backed up. Front lanes are getting long lines? Jump on for backup before they even call for it.

4 - Be responsible. Punch on time, don't hit compliance, follow best practice as often as possible.
1. I'm a minor, so I'm not sure if I can be trained in backroom, but I am currently trained in Hardlines, Electronics, Cashier, and Flex Fufillment. (kinda). I think I might ask about getting trained at the service desk because they're always calling for backups and there's only like one tm in the store that's trained up there.
2. I try picking up as many as I can, and a couple weeks ago one of the electronics TM's didn't show up so I offered to stay an hour late until another Hardlines TM could cover.
3. This is exactly what I always do, but my ETL-Hardlines has actually told me to stop going to the lanes so much because 'there's other people in the store that can respond to backups' (even though they never do...) But yes, I always check pulls stray etc before asking for a task.
4. Yes, I always clock in 5 minutes early, and always take meals at 5 hours 30 minutes. (6 hour state)

Thanks for the tips :) if you have any other advice it would be greatly appreciated!

1 - Guest Service is tricky, but if you cross train up there your ETL-GE will love you. Go for it!
2 - Keep it up!
3 - Welp. Maybe try cutting it back to every other back up call? One more tip for taking initiative... If you're pushing merch and see something really expensive that should be spiderwrapped, take a second and lock it up. Your AP Team will be thankful. If you're not sure what items require merch protection, ask your AP Team. Don't let it bog you down too much, though. As a Sales Floor TM, only go out of your way to do merch protection if there's not much else going on, but take care of the merch you are personally pushing out.
4 - Great, keep at it!

Sounds to me like you're kicking ass. Keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure you'll be the go to Hardlines TM in no time! :)

Ask plenty of questions!!! Even if you Think you know the answer. The more you know, more power to you!!!

Does anyone have any ideas for a Hardlines TM ago really stick out? Kinda copying the GSTL post thing :p

I've been here a few months and I wanna make sure I don't just blend in with everyone else, I really do want to grow throughout the company. Does anyone have tips for standing out?

I already make sure I'm helping with backups, I run around covering electronics/cosmetics breaks, and then do obvious things like stray/freight/zoning or the occasional end-cap filling or whatever other projects my ETL's have for me.

How can I stand out?

Getting red cards on the floor will definitely get you noticed. Take the guest to electronics and sign them up over there.

Share your ideas. Think a current process could be done better. Have ways to prevent theft in a high theft area.

Flexing an empty end cap without being told. Think same price point and on sale.

Cross training is extremely important as Target loves global TM's. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back