Archived Has anyone ever voluntereed with Target......?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in Minneapolis the GLBT Pride Festival is always the last weekend in June and Target always has a HUGE booth with all kinds of fun activities. I went last year to just walk around with my friends and what not and it seemed like a really fun time. Anyway, since there I went from part time to full time and was promoted to Team Leader so I was thinking about trying to volunteer with Target for Pride. It's a cause near to my heart....anyone have any advice on who to talk to? HR? Is there anywhere I could look on target.com/workbench? Thanks Guys!

Mst stores have an ETL who is the captain for volunteer events.
You'll want to find out who that is and talk to them about organizing the effort.

I think it's pretty cool.
I hope you get positive response.

I volunteer regularly at Target organized events. I say just organize it yourself. Mention it during huddles as much as possible. Ask your Target friends to join you. But just know that you don't have to wait for Target to give you the OK. Do it for yourself and others; not for Target.

nothing ever gets anywhere from a volunteering stand point in my store unless I organize it and advertise it to the team. if you are passionate about it, make it happen :)

Our current captain of volunteerism is annoying. She's one of those cookie cutter bubble headed optimist ETLs who simultaneously is incapable of communicating with anyone in a genuine fashion. So all her 'recruitment attempts' are guilt-trips mixed with 'someone get a restraining order' harassment.

Yeah, not gonna get involved with anything that has any chance of reflecting well on her ... I'll just volunteer on my own personal time thank you very much.

I think one of my SrTL's is our volunteer captain.. idk. The only 'volunteer' work I've done with target is national night out

I volunteer plenty outside of spot. I like being able to chose causes that are near & dear.
I don't need spot to tell me who I should be helping.

I don't really like that Target gets credit for a lot of the volunteer hours when I'm certain that it is strongly suggested from corporate that the ETLs put in so many volunteer hours in an effort to make it to their volunteer hours goal. When I see ETLs (and the STL) from many stores attend various volunteer events and spend the majority, if not all, of their time on their phone, conducting business, socializing with other ETLs, it is, at the very least, disingenuous. I know they log those hours even though they didn't really do anything to benefit anyone but themselves. On at least one occasion, our community captain ETL didn't generate enough interest in a particular event so she grabbed a couple TLs from the salesfloor and made them go. They were allowed to stay clocked in. That just isn't right. I mean, if that's your job to read to a bunch of kids, and your job title is Children's Book Reader, you go ahead and collect that paycheck. But if you are taken away from your real job while still getting paid and wearing a shirt that says "Target Volunteers", that's some bullshit.

Am I just being nitpicky or do you guys think that's a fair criticism?

I'd say that's a fair assessment.
The one time I volunteered a few yrs back, it was to clean up trash in a park.
The 'pretty people' horsed around, chasing each other with tools & posing for pictures while the rest of us raked & bagged up trash.
Afterwards, we posed for a group shot in front of all the bags of trash we'd collected. Pretty people were in the middle & the rest of us peons on the outside edge.
Made it easier to crop the shots for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back