Has anyone ever worked for Starbucks? :)

Lady Fitting Room

Free from Target :D
After over a week of trying at different Starbucks in my city, I was finally able to find one that's hiring and set up an interview with the manager. :D I was just wondering if anyone here has ever worked for Starbucks and could tell me what to expect? I'm already putting together a portfolio (Starbucks green, of course!) with my resume, a copy of my latest team member review, and my school schedule for the fall. I'm also rehearsing answers to some of the trickier interview questions that most employers tend to ask (e.g. Why do you want to work here? Tell me about yourself. What is one of your biggest weaknesses? Tell me about a time where you delivered exceptional customer service). I'm also researching the company's history and current politics.

Is there anything else I should know to help increase my chances?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

OP
OP
L

Lady Fitting Room

At least 8 hours of training for starters..
I've heard that Starbucks is fabulous about actually TRAINING their baristas and not just throwing them in an area and letting them sink or swim, unlike a CERTAIN corporation that we're all familiar with. ;) I'm expecting some rigorous training if hired, and I wouldn't have it any other way: I want to learn how to make the perfect drinks that Starbucks is famous for. I'm already reading up on different types of coffee they sell and have memorized the steps for several of their more popular drinks (thank you, internet!).

Guest Attendant

Former Target Team Member
congrats. If you get on keep us posted. It would be nice to see how an actual starbucks employee is like rather then what the so called media potrays them as.

kind of off topic but my favorite drink is the Venti Carmel Frappchino with extra carmal sauce around the cup.

OP
OP
L

Lady Fitting Room

For anyone interested, here's the page I've been studying; it breaks down their drinks to the basic components. I'm working on memorizing them: imagine the look on my interviewer would have on her face if I were to tell her that I already know (in theory) how to make most of the drinks and that all I need is for her to show me where the supplies are and how to work the machines! :thumbsup:

http://www.quicksilverweb.net/sbucks/sbcharts.htm

P.S. Had my last day at Target today; I am officially liberated! :D

I wish I still had my recipe flashcards I could send ya. I used to work as a Starbucks TM at my last store's Starbucks (Target licensed, of course).

To give you an example of a recipe for a drink--we'll say the Caramel Frappuccino since that seems to be a favorite--where x/x/x is for Tall/Grande/Venti:
1. Pump 2/3/4 pumps of Frappuccino Roast.
2. Fill with 2% milk to the bottom line (there's 3 green lines on each cold cup)
3. Pour into blender pitcher
4. Pump 2/3/4 of Caramel Syrup (CBS; if using normal syrup, use 1/2/3)
5. Pump 2/3/4 of Coffee Frappuccino Base
6. Use one scoop of the appropriate sized scoop of ice (making sure no ice is stuck together--otherwise it'll end up thicker)
7. Blend once on Level 2 (I think--it could be 1, I haven't done it in a few months)
8. Put whipped cream in a swirl on top.
9. Drizzle caramel sauce in a swirl starting in the center and moving outwards.

They can look daunting, but for most of them, it can be simplified down to a "base recipe" and then very slight variations on it. IE. You can make pretty much any Frappuccino by changing the base type and syrup flavoring of the above recipe.

OP
OP
L

Lady Fitting Room

I wish I still had my recipe flashcards I could send ya. I used to work as a Starbucks TM at my last store's Starbucks (Target licensed, of course).

To give you an example of a recipe for a drink--we'll say the Caramel Frappuccino since that seems to be a favorite--where x/x/x is for Tall/Grande/Venti:
1. Pump 2/3/4 pumps of Frappuccino Roast.
2. Fill with 2% milk to the bottom line (there's 3 green lines on each cold cup)
3. Pour into blender pitcher
4. Pump 2/3/4 of Caramel Syrup (CBS; if using normal syrup, use 1/2/3)
5. Pump 2/3/4 of Coffee Frappuccino Base
6. Use one scoop of the appropriate sized scoop of ice (making sure no ice is stuck together--otherwise it'll end up thicker)
7. Blend once on Level 2 (I think--it could be 1, I haven't done it in a few months)
8. Put whipped cream in a swirl on top.
9. Drizzle caramel sauce in a swirl starting in the center and moving outwards.

They can look daunting, but for most of them, it can be simplified down to a "base recipe" and then very slight variations on it. IE. You can make pretty much any Frappuccino by changing the base type and syrup flavoring of the above recipe.
Thank you, this definitely helps! :) I've noticed that most drinks seem to be base + variations; that is, a Caramel Frap is basically a Coffee Frap + caramel syrup, whipped cream, and caramel sauce, etc. Seems like pattern recognition is key. :)