Archived Hatchimals being returned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a guest return 12 Hatchimals. Was asked if anything was wrong with the items and he said they were fine. He was candid about his return saying that ebay is limiting how many you can sell in a week (three) and there is no way he can sell that many before Christmas because the resale market has taken a nose dive. Said he wanted to get them back on the shelf so others could buy them before Xmas. He had receipts for all the toys and all were returned. We were sold out of his returns within the hour.

That might explain why we had someone dump a bunch of 3DS's on us the other day. Service desk tossed them into reshop, AP was notified when I showed them to an ETL and they said to pull and defect since they're not a sealed item. Yay Nintendo!

In the mean time, we showed up as the only store in the area with the black friday $99 3DS for a day. . . . . . .

I wonder if we could technically deny the returns since we don't do buisness with resellers. Regardless, at least he's returning them BEFORE Christmas so other people have a chance to buy them.

I wonder if we could technically deny the returns since we don't do buisness with resellers. Regardless, at least he's returning them BEFORE Christmas so other people have a chance to buy them.

I can move them so take them and the money.

we don't sell large quantities/allow no tax purchases to resellers, but if they go through legit means to get personal quantities they are a normal guest.

if its a case that we couldn't resell the items (auto defect) then yeah you can make a case to want to limit/deny returns.

We had a guest return 12 Hatchimals. Was asked if anything was wrong with the items and he said they were fine. He was candid about his return saying that ebay is limiting how many you can sell in a week (three) and there is no way he can sell that many before Christmas because the resale market has taken a nose dive. Said he wanted to get them back on the shelf so others could buy them before Xmas. He had receipts for all the toys and all were returned. We were sold out of his returns within the hour.

Good on ebay!!

Extracted from eBay Community:

Selling Limits For Hatchimals

freddie0017
Explorer
(13) Helpful

Kudo
Answer

Comments (3)
Comments (3)

cobra-jet-nj

Pathfinder
‎11-05-2016 08:57 PM
I encountered the same - and just like you, I've been selling on eBay since 1997. For eBay to now dictate to Sellers how much quantity of a product the Seller can or cannot sell is beyond words. It is ridiculous that we are being notified AFTER we have already created a listing. What does it matter to eBay anyway - they are already raking in the profits on all associated fees, such as insertion fee, Reserve fee, final value fee, "shipping fee" (which is ridiculous as well) and any other "upgrade fees" - plus not to mention PayPal fees (yes, they get a percentage of those fees as well). So if anyone wants to list 100 Hatchimals in a single shot, then list another 100 - it should be a Sellers RIGHT to do so - because you know what eBay, if it were not for Sellers, eBay would not exist today - eBay grew because of Sellers. eBay is STILL making out in the end with all of the fee charges, so eBay should be happy Hatchimals is HOT and they're raking in the $$$ because of OUR multiple listings!! Hey eBay higher ups - this is the absolute WORST decision you have ever made by limiting Sellers to quantities of merchandise they can sell - you know why, because we all go someplace else and sell - and even though it's not the "majority", you (eBay) lose all of those fee profits. Please REMOVE the Seller "limitation" on Hatchimals listings! It's also not fair that the "pop up" warning the Seller comes AFTER they have already invested time into creating their ads and listing the merchandise. Why not place the warning on the eBay HOME PAGE? Why not? Because you (eBay) will lose Sellers even faster if we saw that FIRST, rather than LATER, that's why. That's a real shady and an unfair practice to implement without warning.

(7) Helpful

Kudo

picks-by-liz

Explorer
‎11-06-2016 01:37 AM
Hey Cobra, totally agree! So you can only post once every 7 days and you only get that notice after you typed in your while ad with pics and all. And after you spent some time hunting after these Hatchimals and now have maybe 3 or more to sell.. Not a smart Ebay decision. Amazon won't allow me to sell them either. Bummerrr

(0) Helpful

Kudo

occasioness

Pathfinder
‎11-16-2016 12:09 PM
I have $131,000 + in sales over the last 4-5 years and I am told I can only list 3! What a load of **bleep**! Thanks Ebay for ruining yet another Christmas season for me and my business!

(0) Helpful

Kudo

Accepted Solutions (0)
Answers (17)
Answers (17)

imagination1000

Enthusiast
‎11-12-2016 01:42 PM
I have been trying to buy one and hls really been upset with the outrageous pricing So if you are a seller that has been really taking advantage of parents wanting Hatchimals for their children. I applaud ebay for taking this action

(5) Helpful

Kudo

Comments (3)
Comments (3)

callum.irvine

Explorer
‎11-14-2016 01:49 AM
But we can't even list at $1 reserve. How is that "outrageous pricing"? The market sets the price for an auction.........

(4) Helpful

Kudo

jenchills1222

Enthusiast
‎11-15-2016 06:03 AM
This is simple supply and demand. If someone is willing to pay twice as much they should be able to. These are selling out in less than a minute on regular store websites and before they are to floor in brick and mortor. My target is getting 2 or 3 in- so it's not like some is going and buying all the stock and selling them at artifically high prices. Ebay is actually going to drive the prices HIGHER if they limit the stock. If I have 6 and I can only sell 3 a week, the closer we get to XMAS the more people will be willing to pay- ARTIFICALLY pushing the prices higher. Straight 6th grade economics.

(3) Helpful

Kudo

occasioness

Pathfinder
‎11-16-2016 12:09 PM
not for nothing I list at $0.99 cents and it still sells for $100+ that is not a sellers fault and you should not be blaming a seller for supply and demand.

(3) Helpful

Kudo

boardergirl811

Explorer
‎11-09-2016 06:41 AM
I just got off the phone with eBay. They said that all Top Rated Sellers have a limit of 3 per 7 days, and all other sellers have a limit of 2. This limit will not be lifted until Hatchimals are taken off the "hot item" list, which likely won't be until after Christmas.

(2) Helpful

Kudo

Comments (0)

Now if only we could decline returns on these so that these resellers a stuck with whatever they have left.

It's funny that these guys are talking about supply and demand when they're furthering the supply shortage by creating an artificial one as well.

Low life douche bags. I wish they had bought thousands of them. Part of the problem, though, is parents raising kids who simply want something because it's popular. You wouldn't be standing in the cold if your kid understood things better. Bad parenting ahoy.

Low life douche bags. I wish they had bought thousands of them. Part of the problem, though, is parents raising kids who simply want something because it's popular. You wouldn't be standing in the cold if your kid understood things better. Bad parenting ahoy.
I remember back in 2007 my dad drove me around looking for a DS Lite after mine had been stolen out of my bag at school the week before. I still have that DS, and it's one of my favorite Christmas memories.

On the contrary, I think it's the parents that want it for their kids because it's popular. Bad parenting nevertheless.

On the contrary, I think it's the parents that want it for their kids because it's popular. Bad parenting nevertheless.

Wait. Parents are buying these awful toys without the kids wanting them? If that is the case, I hope they remain limited

Everyone wants to be the 'cool' parent who scored a hot toy whether the kid wanted it or were 'meh' about it.

One of those commenters got it dead right. eBay is actually pushing prices even higher by restricting the supply.
Not necessarily. Ebay is going to make it so These Re-sellers are having to return the products in order to not sit on dead money. Once the holidays are over the store shelves will be stocked from returns, and the Manufacturer actually keeping up with demand, or the Product will die down due to its limiting features as a product. If these re-sellers would think about something other than their pocketbook they would not be in this predicament. The resellers created the Demand by buying them up as soon as stores open. If the resellers did not buy them the "craze" of them being out and High demands would not exist. Ebay is Just going to punish them for creating such a high demand, and High price.

This is one of the reasons Re-sellers are not allowed to get tax free at target, and why we are not supposed to sell to them.

If I were the ETL-GE at my store, I would definitely tell my front end team to deny any Hatchimals returns. We've done it with hot items that are popular for resellers. I remember a year or so ago, we were told by our DTL to limit returns for Amiibos to 4 per guest/family since we had this one ring of resellers buying up all of the new releases.

One of those commenters got it dead right. eBay is actually pushing prices even higher by restricting the supply.
Not necessarily. Ebay is going to make it so These Re-sellers are having to return the products in order to not sit on dead money. Once the holidays are over the store shelves will be stocked from returns, and the Manufacturer actually keeping up with demand, or the Product will die down due to its limiting features as a product. If these re-sellers would think about something other than their pocketbook they would not be in this predicament. The resellers created the Demand by buying them up as soon as stores open. If the resellers did not buy them the "craze" of them being out and High demands would not exist. Ebay is Just going to punish them for creating such a high demand, and High price.

This is one of the reasons Re-sellers are not allowed to get tax free at target, and why we are not supposed to sell to them.
eBay is artificially limiting the supply. Resellers have plenty of them but are being limited to only selling a few per week, thus starving the market of however many others they have. This will lead to fewer listings, which will in turn drive up the prices on the few listings that are allowed. That is literally how supply and demand works.

eBay is not forcing anyone to return anything. Resellers will simply get more creative and find other places to sell. But it is still going to drive up auction prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back