Hats on the clock?

Hey break room, so I’ve been a Target employee for about a year and a half now. I’ve been a cart attendant the entire time and I love my job, but my frustration is building. Since I’ve started I’ve always worn a hat on the job. I always wear a hat and at first my leaders all said it was fine. Sometimes I was asked to take it off inside the store but it was never a problem outside. Today however, one of the LOD’s sent a message in our front of store group chat that hats will not longer be allowed for any position (except the yellow safari hats provided by target). Is this normal? Is there supposed to be a set rule about this across the country? Lastly, is there any way I can get in touch with some level of corporate to ask about this?

When I first started hats weren't allowed, but somewhere along the way that changed. Now we have hats aplenty, all kinds, even TLs wear them.

Nope, just older and more experienced than most Target employees. I had a good time while I was there due to excellent management. The changes that have occurred in the last several years have all but ruined the morale of many very good hard working people. Some stores are very well run with good management and some are terrible.

When I started hats weren’t allowed. Pretty sure “no hats”was part of the dress code outlined in the handbook, but once p-fresh started and people had to work in the coolers and freezers, hats were allowed for them, and it spread to the cart attendants. In fact, we had one cart attendant that I never saw without his cap. Our PMT also wore a hat, but sales floor/backroom were not allowed to.
I don’t know what the official policy is for cart attendants and hats, but my two cents is that people who have to go outside in 100 degree or 40 degree weather to round up carts should be allowed to wear a hat for sun protection or heat retention. Wearing your own hat seems a lot safer than sharing a Target issued safari hat, especially these days. Just saying.
Whether or not you can fight it, and whether you win or lose, there could be repercussions for you, so like happygoth says above, make sure that you think it’s worth it to potentially have your hours cut, get the worst shifts, or be performanced out over it, since some in leadership don’t like to have their authority questioned and can be quite vindictive when it is. Good luck!

I know of at least 2 tm's that were termed for wearing hats after being told not to wear them in the store and another termed for not wearing one while working in the cafe. That was a long time ago, but I believe it was in the dress code of the time. I thought it was stupid then and I still do.

If someone's working outside in the winter, or in the freezers, I'd say they have every right to wear a hat. What kind of stuck up schmuck can someone be to not let you wear a hat when it's sometimes necessary, especially if it's done not even on the salesfloor? Plenty of tms wear hats just take it off when needed.

Only Starbucks and FOS attendants are allowed to wear hats. Attendants can only wear them outside and they have to be the safari hat or a veeery generic plain colored cap. Last year anyone could wear a hat. 5 years ago, 2 tm's were termed for wearing them in violation of the dress code.

Starbucks, cafe, pmt and cart guy wear hats. The cart guy even wears big sunglasses. If the sun is blaring down I think that is necessary protection from the sun. If our ELT helps out in Starbucks he keeps the hat on most of the day. (Maybe it makes his hair weird and he keeps it on) It’s a good thing though because he looks so hot in that hat.

Unfortunately, I'm not a Target employee, but I completely understand your frustration. While I can't speak to Target's nationwide policy, it's possible that they are instituting a more standard dress code or want to do extra publicity for their own brand in this way. To contact someone from the corporation, I suggest getting a human resources representative or supervisor.

They should be able to give you the most accurate information and address any concerns you may have. At the store I work at, I can wear any kind of headgear, so I chose to wear an emf shielding hat to protect myself from the hot weather. Hang in there, and hopefully, you find a solution that works for everyone!

Last edited:
My snapback got mixed feedback back in the day…OG boss man didn’t care, second boss man said to ditch it at store opening time and last and final boss man (a literal zoomer) said company policy be like, no cap, no cap, on god, fr fr

Our Cart Attendants and Grocery team wears hats occasionally.

However sometimes female TMs wear head scarves or bands and nothing is said.

In most cases I see no reason why most TMs need to wear hats in the store.

Back