Archived Head up, shoulders back, integrity restored

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was the day for me. After 20 years and 2 months, I left a job that I love and am good at. I did not give notice and I don't feel bad about that at all. I have been struggling with the way my store has decided to treat team members and my position in the store. I can no longer be a willing participant in the destruction of human beings. Modernization is here and will be implemented. The manner in which it is being rolled out in my store is a shit show at best. The casualties are the team members who are being humiliated, Instead of being upfront and letting them know the endgame, we (Team Leaders) are being told to cut shifts to 4 hours per week for people we want to quit. No matter what these people do, how much improvement they have shown in a short time we are told they need to go. We are not suppose to know or care about their personal life, what issues they are facing, what drives them, what inspires them basically who they are when they are not wearing red and khaki. I have always wanted the people who worked for me and with me to feel like they are making a difference, that they are worthy of respect and that they are part of team. The new norm seems to be every person for themselves, step on whoever you need to so you can reach the top and Target is the single most important thing in your life.
I had a talk with my team to let them know I was leaving and why. I took the time to reiterate what a great team they are because of how well they work together for a common goal. I have/had the best team and I would put them up against any team in the company.
I leave knowing that I gave my all ever shift. That I treated everyone with respect. When I did need to coach someone I always did it with the intent to make them better, not to hate themselves.
Because of this I leave with my head held high, my shoulders back and ready for the next chapter. I did not sell my soul or integrity to this company that I once respected. Good luck and peace to all of you.

Nope. The ability to retire is now up to the store I found out after a phone call to TMSC. There is no longer a rule of how much notice you need to give. But you must leave in good standing. Good standing is to interpreted by your stores HR. The HR at the store I was at is a real piece of work. I decided that the discount was not worth her smug face telling me for whatever reason I was not in good standing. That is the only benefit to retire vs quit. Yes I gave up a wonderful parting GC of $100. But to be honest my $100 anniversary GC had $58 of tax, so not such a great deal. And there is no way I would ever work at Target again, I would rather work at McDs.

You are an awesome team lead and human being, exactly the type of person that any normal company would be dying to recruit, and that any sensible company would value and want to retain. Every team lead should treat their team the way you treated yours! Congratulations on leaving with your soul and integrity intact. Good Luck!🍀😁

latest

I can so relate to your situation! The only difference being that instead of quitting I was terminated. I loved my team and they worked very hard and I did what I could to help them through all the new processes. Like you, I cannot lower my self to tear others down and that is what was expected of me. I only hung on until I was termed due to my financial situation and insurance needs. I watched my team do their very best only to get coached myself by my ETL for not coaching them for not being able to make the new processes work. I was belittled and coached in front of my team on a daily basis. I was told the reason my team had a "poor attitude" was my fault. When in fact they were stressed from all of the new expectations and no praise what so ever for their efforts other than what I gave to them. I have never in my life felt so helpless and defeated as I did my last few months as their leader. I loved my job and I loved my team, and after over 20 years all it took was an ETL who seemed to have a personal vendetta against me, a STL who backed her all the way without actually seeing what was going on (Trying to talk to him was like talking to a brick wall, he took her word over mine as gospel) Best of luck to you and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who believes in treating team members like actual human beings with feelings versus drones that need to meet ridiculous unattainable goals!

We lost our long time Lead in the past few months too... they left, the morale left as well.... because this person was the ONLY straight shooter. They'd tell you like it was, honest, respectful and you could depend on their word. They had our back and I watched as they put another store in their place for talking out of turn to one of our TM 's a few years ago. We absolutely know that this person and 4 other leaders & leads were pushed out in the last few months. I and a few other OG's will be following suit very soon as well. The good ones are leaving in droves from this store. Sadly District cant see the forest for the trees...blind to what is happening and I am sure being fed a pack of lies about these goings on.

This is the saddest post ever. What a shame to lose such a caring employee. I pray you find an employer that sees and appreciates your work ethic.

What exactly has happened to Target?? I know the new modernization thing going on but why did they decide to change things up so much? What did they feel was wrong with the old way of doing things? What’s the end game? Can someone explain this?

This is the saddest post ever. What a shame to lose such a caring employee. I pray you find an employer that sees and appreciates your work ethic.

What exactly has happened to Target?? I know the new modernization thing going on but why did they decide to change things up so much? What did they feel was wrong with the old way of doing things? What’s the end game? Can someone explain this?
Based on some research I have done Target is not the only retailer making changes. It is supposedly to help compete with wal mart and amazon. However, the changes do not work and it created more work. Upper Leadership is just shifting the blame to etls and tls and a culture of every man for himself.

You did the right thing. You recognized toxicity. You left. I’ll bet you will have a great job in no time.
I did find another job. Funny thing is as much as I miss most of the people I worked with I Target, I keep in touch with them too. I am so sad when I hear whats going on in this store though. I believe in change, if you don't change and adapt in retail you will no longer exist. However I don't think you need to ruin people to do that. I don't regret my decision for one minute.
This is the first time in 20 years I will have the week between Christmas and New Years off (with pay). Christmas Eve (all day) will be spent with my family. There is life after Target
Merry Christmas all!

I can so relate to your situation! The only difference being that instead of quitting I was terminated. I loved my team and they worked very hard and I did what I could to help them through all the new processes. Like you, I cannot lower my self to tear others down and that is what was expected of me. I only hung on until I was termed due to my financial situation and insurance needs. I watched my team do their very best only to get coached myself by my ETL for not coaching them for not being able to make the new processes work. I was belittled and coached in front of my team on a daily basis. I was told the reason my team had a "poor attitude" was my fault. When in fact they were stressed from all of the new expectations and no praise what so ever for their efforts other than what I gave to them. I have never in my life felt so helpless and defeated as I did my last few months as their leader. I loved my job and I loved my team, and after over 20 years all it took was an ETL who seemed to have a personal vendetta against me, a STL who backed her all the way without actually seeing what was going on (Trying to talk to him was like talking to a brick wall, he took her word over mine as gospel) Best of luck to you and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who believes in treating team members like actual human beings with feelings versus drones that need to meet ridiculous unattainable goals!
I say without my team I wouldn’t be a leader .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back