Archived Hello! I need your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I finaly dicided to post something today.
I've been reading a lot of your posts for almost a month and it helped me when I was confused about my job.
I recently moved to KC. I got a job here as a GM sporting goods. is it normal that I had one day of training?
For the past 2 weeks, they made me work on sporting goods and toys. I barely finish to take care of my flats that my shift is over. I feel like all I do is open boxes and talk to some customers. My coworkers have at least one person with them to cover their section when they have a lot to do with the boxes.
My leaders use a language that I don't understand and when I ask for more details or more explanations, they get mad or have an attitude.
I am definitely not happy right now and I dont know what to do.

As far as "language", check out the sticky'd thread "Target Talk: Modernization Version".

One day of training is unfortunately very common across all Targets.

Are leaders happy that you are opening boxes and talking to guests? Or are they asking more and the vernacular is what is confusing?

Find a TM at your store that can help with explaining what leadership wants.

Welcome!

I'm Softlines so I can't speak to specifics regarding GM, but when I was first hired I definitely had a few months of feeling like I was on my own and just had to figure things out. It helped that I had tons of retail experience. I also asked a lot of questions, mostly of other TMs because leadership was not always around. It sucks that your leaders are not helpful. I know they are under a lot of pressure, but still, they should be willing to guide new hires. That's Leadership 101 in my book. We have a couple of TMs who were very nice and helpful and always willing to answer questions - see if you can find one or two in your store who have been around a while and are willing to talk.

Also peruse this site, there is a TON of great information here - good luck!

Hey guys, I finaly dicided to post something today.
I've been reading a lot of your posts for almost a month and it helped me when I was confused about my job.
I recently moved to KC. I got a job here as a GM sporting goods. is it normal that I had one day of training?
For the past 2 weeks, they made me work on sporting goods and toys. I barely finish to take care of my flats that my shift is over. I feel like all I do is open boxes and talk to some customers. My coworkers have at least one person with them to cover their section when they have a lot to do with the boxes.
My leaders use a language that I don't understand and when I ask for more details or more explanations, they get mad or have an attitude.
I am definitely not happy right now and I dont know what to do.

You got a day of training? Count yourself lucky. Some people at my store get less.

Welcome! Like the others said, check out TBR for info and translations of Targetspeak, and see if some of your co-workers will help you out with understanding expectations and store culture. Do your best with Spot, but keep your eyes open for better opportunities at other companies. The hours drop after the holidays won’t be pretty, and I’ll bet no one mentioned that at your interview. Good luck!

Your job is, at it's very essence, to put stuff on shelves and help people buy that stuff.

So in that sense, you are doing fine. Is the issue with backstocking, pulls, exfs?

Or is the issue that your actual native language isn't the one your store uses?

Or is the issue that your actual native language isn't the one your store uses?
Industry specific terminology is hardly a matter of native language. Do you understand "elead" or "otd" or what "ur" is and how it is both the same and different from "mp" and "vqr" or what "k stock" is, or do you say that yeah, you don't have a clue and need to learn it but recognize that it's still English just otj terms?

Industry specific terminology is hardly a matter of native language. Do you understand "elead" or "otd" or what "ur" is and how it is both the same and different from "mp" and "vqr" or what "k stock" is, or do you say that yeah, you don't have a clue and need to learn it but recognize that it's still English just otj terms?

Right, I'm asking is the problem that s/he doesn't understand what qmos is, or does s/he not speak (not read/write but speak and hear) English to understand the explination of the industry specific term?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back