Archived Hello! Just got hired at Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

TargetBePurple

I am so cool ;D
Hello everyone. I was just hired to be a part time cashier at Target so I could have a job while I go to school.

I worked full time at a warehouse for 3 years, and full time at a desk job before this. It will be nice working part time!

My first questions are;
1) How hard is to get hired on if you start off as seasonal?
2) How difficult is it changing positions at Target after your first 90 days?
3) Anything else I should know?

Thank you!

Hello! I was just hired on at Target, and while I posted some of these questions in the Introductions forum, I thought I would post them here for more visibility.

My first questions are;
1) How hard is to get hired as permanent on if you start off as seasonal?
3) how many hours do people generally get after the holidays, in the summer, etc?
4) Anything else I should know?

I'm excited to get back into retail, as crazy as that sounds. I have worked a desk job for a long time and it's so boring. Plus I've gained 20 pounds from just sitting around!

I'll be starting off as a cashier, since I had to give 2 weeks notice at my current job.

Thanks for the help :)

Welcome welcome!

It really depends on how much they are needed. If you're a good cashier, there's a good chance that you will be kept on, just make sure that your ETL knows that you want to stay on afterwards. Changing your work center will be different from store to store, as some leadership teams aren't very good about allowing TM's to move around.

Thank you Firefox! I've been a cashier before at other big box stores, I feel pretty confident. They originally wanted me in hardlines, but because I had to give 2 weeks notice, they said my only option was cashiering, take it or leave it. Pretty odd to me, but oh well.

Hi, welcome to The Break Room.

It's usually better if you keep questions to one thread, that way people can focus on one place and you will get the best results so I merged your two threads since there were other questions you had.

It varies greatly from store to store, depends a lot on how many decent regular folk they have on hand already.
That also depends greatly from store to store, some have a culture of cross training others not so much.
No matter the important thing is to prove you can handle the station you are at and shine at any task you are handed.
Hours can vary wildly depending on the season.
Right after 4th quarter there will be a major drop.

Make yourself a stand-out whenever you can by:
Getting to work early; never be late without calling the store to let them know.
Come in early when called, stay later when asked.
Take the initiative to get tasks done without having to be told.
Keep a change of red & khaki in your car & your cell phone on in case they call to see if you can pick up a shift. Even if you can't, let them know & thank them for calling you.
Be willing whenever cross-training is offered; the more areas you know the more hours you can pick up.
Avoid store politics & trash talk; anyone talks smack about another TM/TL/ETL in front of you just say "That's too bad."

Demand to be a Cart Attendant! Best job in the hizzhouse!

Hello! I was just hired on at Target, and while I posted some of these questions in the Introductions forum, I thought I would post them here for more visibility.

My first questions are;
1) How hard is to get hired as permanent on if you start off as seasonal?
3) how many hours do people generally get after the holidays, in the summer, etc?

1. At my store, very easy. The seaonals are not let go, they choose to work or they ire themselves. ie. If they put effort into doing well, they're staying.

2. Not very difficult, some positions have low turnover and are harder to get into than others, but in general stores love when someone is willing to learn multiple positions because it makes it easier to fill shifts.

3. Going to vary a lot here person to person and store to store, but I averaged 33 hours a week as a TM (only TL+ are guaranteed hours), least hours I had in a week was one week of 19 hours in February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back