Help on building a routine?

That BackroomGuy

Resigned Fulfillment TL
Hey TBR!

I need some help developing a routine and ways on how to be a better lead to my team. I've been with Target for about 5 years, I was an unofficial Backroom TL for roughly a year and a half and was recently promoted to become the Food and Beverage TL.

ASANTS, but my entire time with Target I've only been taught Backroom, Order Fulfillment, Truck and HR. So far in F&B, I'm pretty familiar with pushing the truck and dropping 1F1. I'm currently in the process of understanding Produce, Planograms, Revisions, Transitions, Price Change and Check Dates, and I need some help understanding it. How often should I be reviewing my revisions? We usually have one or two people set all of market on a daily basis, but I want to help out and assist whenever possible.

As for Revisions, Transitions, and Planograms, how are they different? They're all essentially set the same and seen the same on TWT right? How can I plan them out? Do I always have to refer to the store map to find out where it goes? Right now it's a bit hard to remember how to read it. I've seen threads of people setting two weeks ahead, how is that possible? How do you plan time to set? So far I've just been confident with replenishing from the truck, dropping 1 for 1s on a nightly basis and pushing what we can to help out the morning crew. I'm currently working on purging out my entire Market backroom and auditing every location to improve our BRLA.

Do I have to do Price Change on a daily basis? What about Check Dates? What does your routine look like? Are there any tools on Workbench I can use to help me out? Is Workbench what we still call it? I never bothered learning if there was a new name, oops.)

Hey TBR!

I need some help developing a routine and ways on how to be a better lead to my team. I've been with Target for about 5 years, I was an unofficial Backroom TL for roughly a year and a half and was recently promoted to become the Food and Beverage TL.

ASANTS, but my entire time with Target I've only been taught Backroom, Order Fulfillment, Truck and HR. So far in F&B, I'm pretty familiar with pushing the truck and dropping 1F1. I'm currently in the process of understanding Produce, Planograms, Revisions, Transitions, Price Change and Check Dates, and I need some help understanding it. How often should I be reviewing my revisions? We usually have one or two people set all of market on a daily basis, but I want to help out and assist whenever possible.

As for Revisions, Transitions, and Planograms, how are they different? They're all essentially set the same and seen the same on TWT right? How can I plan them out? Do I always have to refer to the store map to find out where it goes? Right now it's a bit hard to remember how to read it. I've seen threads of people setting two weeks ahead, how is that possible? How do you plan time to set? So far I've just been confident with replenishing from the truck, dropping 1 for 1s on a nightly basis and pushing what we can to help out the morning crew. I'm currently working on purging out my entire Market backroom and auditing every location to improve our BRLA.

Do I have to do Price Change on a daily basis? What about Check Dates? What does your routine look like? Are there any tools on Workbench I can use to help me out? Is Workbench what we still call it? I never bothered learning if there was a new name, oops.)
I (Pfresh)do check dates and auditing daily. I do the price change weekly. I do all the planograms in market. I keep all 4 cooler/freezers cleaned. I am not a TL. FDC guy pushes all dairy/freezer and does his 1 for 1’s. Another team member does the 1 for 1’s for gr 1 2 3 snack bev. He does revisions and transitions. Also he stays on top of keeping the back room organized. It’s super organized. The other 2 push truck/backstock. Our team lead does not help with any of that.

I started as a Food & Bev TL about 6 months ago and it's definitely been the most challenging TL position I've had but I find it the most enjoyable. The most important thing is to work with your team and make sure they're owning their areas. You can't do everything yourself so you want to make sure they're owning their areas: pushing, zoning, backstocking, 1 for 1s, setting sales planners, revisions, pricing, and for Food & Bev SFQ and Audit are extremely important.

For me I don't really have a typical day where I'm doing the same thing. I always check with my team and make sure they're doing what's assigned and assess what areas need the most help. Usually I'll prioritize getting through the set workload. I'll have the dbos set as much as they can in their areas, but I'll hop in on them because theres really no way I can expect a team member to set 6 endcaps including pulling and backstocking while still getting all their other workload complete. Otherwise I'm working on 1 for 1s if they're heavy or helping push in areas that are behind. A lot of times I'll sub into a dbos area if they're off and I don't have coverage.

As far as your questions on Plano my main suggestion for you is that you ask your ETL for training if possible, maybe working with a GMTL for a couple days. The Planos you'll see are transitions which are major changes to an aisle that will be timely. At my store Presentation Experts handle transitions but ASANTS. Revisions are pretty simple, you'll have a set of label strips that you'll just need to change out and move items on the shelves as needed. Usually they'll add a few new items or just change the facings of some items. Then there's the Salesplanners which roll about every 4-5 weeks in f&b. These are all of your endcaps, focals, and the bunker. They can be a pain and often you'll find yourself with a huge workload and wondering how you're supposed to get all of it done with the payroll they gave you. I will usually give a couple a day to dbos for their area. The goal is to have everything set by Friday.

Looking up your workload is extremely easy now that it's on the Zebra. Try to take a look at it at the beginning of the week. You can see what your workload will be up to 2 weeks out so you can keep in mind what's coming. I try to find time time to look at next week's workload and figure out how I want to divide it between the team and myself over the week. I'll print out the Salesplanners and map them out as well. As far as setting ahead, I usually don't unless the endcap is light or I see we're getting a ton of stuff in at once to save the trouble of backstocking and repulling everything.

Workbench has plenty of tools to use. Just click under areas and look for food and bev. It will have areas for produce, dairy, frozen, bake, and dry grocery. Take some time and go through each one. There's a ton of information so give yourself time to look up areas you're really unfamiliar with like produce an maybe dairy. There are links on the sidebar that will be very helpful too.

Back