Archived Hi! New external hire TL here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! Last week I interviewed for a position as a TL at a local Target and got the job offer! I'm a bank teller right now and I'm going to be starting at Target at the end of the month. I'm really excited to get my training done and to find out what department I'll be a TL in. I've been lurking around the forum and reading up on different things to get familiar with how working at Target will be.

You get to skip the somewhat awkward transition where you are now in charge of people you were a team member with. I wish I had transferred when I got tl.

It's just strange to have to coach somebody who helped train you in the first place. Worst part of it to me. :p

But. Welcome. Hope all goes well.

Be ready to hustle. I was in my old store this week and the GSTL was running the lanes AND service desk.

What department will you be in charge of running? If its logistics, keep their spirits up and let the ones with experience teach you. Be on your feet at all times! Move around constantly, ask for help dont yell for it! These people work their asses off to make your day go by smoothly, they deserve reasonable recognition and a team lead that can oversee the things they cannot. Make them feel protected but enforce accountability when it is necessary. This isnt a leadership role where you can spend 60% of your day conversing with other leadership, you've got to be on the ball and helping steer it in the right direction. Good luck, and dont take offense to other leaders or TMs making you feel like youre not doing a good job. Just listen with an open mind and be above the issues and fix mistakes gradually. Listen to your ETLs advice, dont hold their hand but ask for guidance when you feel something is too foreign because theyve already dealt with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back