Archived Hours that Your Store is Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewCashierLT

Working for Target today and tomorrow
I was just curious about what you thought of the hours that the Target store you work at is open. The store I work at is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 12:00 AM, and Saturday from 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM. I just thought it is odd that our store is open later on weekdays compared to Saturday night. I would assume that since it's busier on Saturdays, my team leaders need more time to close the registers and count money and perform the other tasks that they need to.

What do you think about the hours at your store and the reasoning for why the hours are set up the way they are?

By the way, my store is closed on Sundays due to Blue Laws.

Spot need to open as many hours on those 6 days to maximize profit for closing on Sunday. They have to close at 11pm to get every employee home before the blue law takes effect at 12:00AM. The target store I used to work for open at 08:00AM to 11:00PM Monday to Saturday and 08:00AM to 10:00PM on Sundays.

I'm sure the hours set for the stores in my area are set, at least partially, on yearly sales. Of the four stores within the five miles radius from where I live:

Top grossing: 8-12 mon-sat, 7-11 sun
2nd grossing: 8-12 mo-sa 8-11 sun
3rd grossing: 8-11 mo-fr 8-12 sa 8-11 sun
4th grossing: 8-11;mo-sa 8--10 sun

Sunday-Thursday 8 am-10pm
Friday-Saturday 8am-11pm

Holiday hours though will change that.

At one time we did have a neighbor store that opened early at 7 am but it has since been pushed back to 8

Last edited by a moderator:
8 am to 10 PM 7 days a week

I'm new but I think it's 7 am to 11 pm after Thanksgiving and then Open until Midnight the week before Christmas

7am to 10 or 11 depending on the day.

It's odd you guys close early on Saturdays that's the day we are open latest.

Some dumb religious thing.
Thats actually an offensive statement. Don't be that way.
Those people then believed that certain things shouldn't be done on certain days, and their was legistation when outliers refused. People called them sunday laws because thats the day they were enacted to promote rest. Yes they can be religiously motivated. The U.S. Supreme Court has held blue laws as constitutional numerous times, citing secular basis such as securing a day of rest for mail carriers, as well as protecting workers and families, in turn contributing to societal stability and guaranteeing the free exercise of religion. The origin of the blue laws also partially stems from religion, particularly the prohibition of Sabbath desecration in Christian Churches following the first-day Sabbatarian tradition. Both labour unions and trade associations have historically supported the legislation of blue laws.

Most blue laws have been repealed in the United States, although many states still ban the sale of alcoholic beverages or cars on Sundays. Bergen County, New Jersey is notable for their blue laws banning the sale of clothing, shoes, furniture, home supplies and appliances on Sundays kept through county-wide referendum. I am assuming your store is either there or Utah.

In the United States, judges have defended blue laws "in terms of their secular benefit to workers", holding that "the laws were essential to social well-being". Chief Justice Stephen Johnson Field, with regard to Sunday blue laws, stated:

Its requirement is a cessation from labor. In its enactment, the legislature has given the sanction of law to a rule of conduct, which the entire civilized world recognizes as essential to the physical and moral well-being of society. Upon no subject is there such a concurrence of opinion, among philosophers, moralists and statesmen of all nations, as on the necessity of periodical cessation from labor. One day in seven is the rule, founded in experience and sustained by science. ... The prohibition of secular business on Sunday is advocated on the ground that by it the general welfare is advanced, labor protected, and the moral and physical well-being of society promoted.

— Hennington v. Georgia, 163 U.S. 299 [1896]

In Texas, for example, blue laws prohibited selling housewares such as pots, pans, and washing machines on Sunday until 1985. In Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, New Jersey, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, car dealerships continue to operate under blue-law prohibitions in which an automobile may not be purchased or traded on a Sunday. Maryland permits Sunday automobile sales only in the counties of Charles, Prince George's, Montgomery, and Howard; similarly, Michigan restricts Sunday sales to only those counties with a population of less than 130,000. Texas and Utah prohibit car dealerships from operating over consecutive weekend days. In some cases these laws were created or retained with the support of those whom they affected, to allow them a day off each week without fear of their competitors still being open.

Blue laws may also prohibit retail activity on days other than Sunday. In Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Maine for example, blue laws prohibit most retail stores, including grocery stores, from opening on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Thats actually an offensive statement. Don't be that way.
Those people then believed that certain things shouldn't be done on certain days, and their was legistation when outliers refused. People called them sunday laws because thats the day they were enacted to promote rest. Yes they can be religiously motivated. The U.S. Supreme Court has held blue laws as constitutional numerous times, citing secular basis such as securing a day of rest for mail carriers, as well as protecting workers and families, in turn contributing to societal stability and guaranteeing the free exercise of religion. The origin of the blue laws also partially stems from religion, particularly the prohibition of Sabbath desecration in Christian Churches following the first-day Sabbatarian tradition. Both labour unions and trade associations have historically supported the legislation of blue laws.

Most blue laws have been repealed in the United States, although many states still ban the sale of alcoholic beverages or cars on Sundays. Bergen County, New Jersey is notable for their blue laws banning the sale of clothing, shoes, furniture, home supplies and appliances on Sundays kept through county-wide referendum. I am assuming your store is either there or Utah.

In the United States, judges have defended blue laws "in terms of their secular benefit to workers", holding that "the laws were essential to social well-being". Chief Justice Stephen Johnson Field, with regard to Sunday blue laws, stated:

Its requirement is a cessation from labor. In its enactment, the legislature has given the sanction of law to a rule of conduct, which the entire civilized world recognizes as essential to the physical and moral well-being of society. Upon no subject is there such a concurrence of opinion, among philosophers, moralists and statesmen of all nations, as on the necessity of periodical cessation from labor. One day in seven is the rule, founded in experience and sustained by science. ... The prohibition of secular business on Sunday is advocated on the ground that by it the general welfare is advanced, labor protected, and the moral and physical well-being of society promoted.

— Hennington v. Georgia, 163 U.S. 299 [1896]

In Texas, for example, blue laws prohibited selling housewares such as pots, pans, and washing machines on Sunday until 1985. In Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, New Jersey, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, car dealerships continue to operate under blue-law prohibitions in which an automobile may not be purchased or traded on a Sunday. Maryland permits Sunday automobile sales only in the counties of Charles, Prince George's, Montgomery, and Howard; similarly, Michigan restricts Sunday sales to only those counties with a population of less than 130,000. Texas and Utah prohibit car dealerships from operating over consecutive weekend days. In some cases these laws were created or retained with the support of those whom they affected, to allow them a day off each week without fear of their competitors still being open.

Blue laws may also prohibit retail activity on days other than Sunday. In Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Maine for example, blue laws prohibit most retail stores, including grocery stores, from opening on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I hadn’t heard the term but I was vaguely familiar (I live in Wi) with it occurinf. I was unaware that some states extend this to most businesses. I disagree with the practice but that’s besides the point...

Monday through Thursday: 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM
Saturday through Sunday: 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM

I'm glad I don't live in a state that has blue laws. 6pm open is as early as I want as that still gives time to eat Thanksgiving dinner.

But I highly enjoy getting a ton of hours in one day that's time and a half. And add on top that the day is rather fun to work/easy and the time goes by super quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back