How big is your backroom

If you LEFT it like that, that's your fault
Maybe it was my fault...
But I only had so much time to finish backstocking and there were so many obstacles that it would of been very to keep that exit cleared...

Someone even managed to knocked down the fire extinguisher that was behind that ladder! 20220731_044154.jpg

Last edited:
My store is a greatland and we used to be very very very large lol. The backroom used to have 70ish isles. but then with OPU remodel we changed to 52.

I've only ever worked at my store and never seen other stores other than peaking into their fire aisle.

for reference, this is our fire isle lol
Oh you're gonna get a kick over how small the fire aisle is at my store LOL
IMG_4779.JPG
And for reference, I took this at the way back of the wall where the lockers are (which explains why you can see the timeclocks). I can give y'all a tour of our tiny backroom if desired

View attachment 15148
And for reference, I took this at the way back of the wall where the lockers are (which explains why you can see the timeclocks). I can give y'all a tour of our tiny backroom if desired
there is so much going on in this photo

View attachment 15148

What in the gol-durn tarnation.....is your store located inside a repurposed missile silo or what

What in the gol-durn tarnation......am I trippin' or is your store located inside a repurposed missile silo or what
May as well have been! Without making it TOO obvious which store I'm at, it was repurposed in a much older department store that also did double as a nuclear fallout shelter

May as well have been! Without making it TOO obvious which store I'm at, it was repurposed in a much older department store that also did double as a nuclear fallout shelter
There was a time where practically everything was a nuclear fallout shelter. The fellowship hall at the church I was married at was one of those shelters.

There was a time where practically everything was a nuclear fallout shelter. The fellowship hall at the church I was married at was one of those shelters.

My high-school had an active one under the wrestling room.
Of course I was going to school during the MAD old days.

My high-school had an active one under the wrestling room.
Of course I was going to school during the MAD old days.
My high school had a complete basement underneath the one story building.

We actually had a tornado drill down there through a narrow stairway.

If we had to do that during a real tornado drill would have been dead by then.

I would rather take my chances in a inner hallway.

Our backroom is tiny now because they added the break room, offices, and the movable walls.

However we have almost completely empty room that they store nothing.

Didn't want to start a new thread

Did anyone else's store do a survey to measure every aisle of their backroom (width depth and length)?

Any idea why? Surely HQ already knows how big the backrooms are. They kind of built the stores.
Just because it was specced to be built one way, doesnt necessarily mean that is what realistically happened when they were built/installed etc.
Speculating: they might be trying to create a system that tells you where to backstock items rather than leaving it to the TMs choice. With knowledge of specific area they can figure out how much can fit where with an algorithm.

Any idea why? Surely HQ already knows how big the backrooms are. They kind of built the stores.
I actually did this at my store a while back and got to chat with the team that created it. The entire point was to have a specific idea of how much space every store commits to every area. Every year we do bounce back and last year specifically they roll d out a ton of best practices and realized there were more store than not that were too far off best practice to follow along as they asked us to do these things last year. So before they ask stores to get back to pre Covid best practices they wanted an idea how far off it all it.

I actually did this at my store a while back and got to chat with the team that created it. The entire point was to have a specific idea of how much space every store commits to every area. Every year we do bounce back and last year specifically they roll d out a ton of best practices and realized there were more store than not that were too far off best practice to follow along as they asked us to do these things last year. So before they ask stores to get back to pre Covid best practices they wanted an idea how far off it all it.

Thanks. One of the things I've noticed in my store compared to the Greenfield report that shows how much light duty space each area should have is that it underestimates how much style now gets under the current process of having everything backstocked. It resulted in other areas having half of the space compared to what they "should" have such as domestics.

Thanks. One of the things I've noticed in my store compared to the Greenfield report that shows how much light duty space each area should have is that it underestimates how much style now gets under the current process of having everything backstocked. It resulted in other areas having half of the space compared to what they "should" have such as domestics.

What makes it even worse it for a lower volume store like mine, the amount of style backstock fluctuates wildly throughout the year. Most of the time the space sits practically empty, but in between big transitions it's full. We are required to have space for women's swim backstock which my store never has so we end up using it for bras because we have too much and it doesn't all fit into the designated space. If we didn't need to have all the space for style we could utilize it for domestics space which we are severely limited on for what we have in backstock.

Back