Archived How can a cashier maintain an excellent score with slow guests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any tips or tricks around the system that you know that will help cashiers maintain a good speed score even though the guests take an eternity to pay?

Also, how can i be faster and more efficient?

lastly, do you count the change first or the bills?

thanks

Don't look for bar codes vibe with guests pick items in cart. Ask them how their paying tell them to leave bulk items in basket.

If a guest is taking too long to pay you can hit some random buttons here and there so POS thinks you're still doing something lol. You won't go red for a while longer.

There is no real way to control how long a guest takes to pay. I don't pay any attention to the Rs or the Gs. I think I'm pretty fast so the 1 or 2 slooooowwww guests don't really effect my score.

Focus on accuracy first, speed will come later. A slow cashier who makes little to no mistakes is worth more than a speed demon who always screws up.
In the almost-year I've been a cashier with spot my speed score has been mentioned twice- once after my first or second week when it was really low, and once a few months later when it had improved. Slow guests happen, R's happen, unless you're constantly R no one will really care.

Personally I count the bills first, then the change.

"Personally I count the bills first, then the change.[/QUOTE]"

me too lol. it was weird seeing another tm count the change first so that's why i asked. although, it does make sense though so you can get a better grip

As soon as the old ladies, paying with cash, open up their change purse I hit the Suspend Sale. I know it's going to take a while for them to dig out that exact change.

Change is supposed to get smaller from left to right, correct? I think my store does it backwards.

Honestly there's nothing you can do if you have pokey people digging out change at the last minute or people writing extra slooooooooooooooooooooooow with their checks. Yes I do ask about those debit cards:mad: I hate people who write checks and refuse to get the debit card. I mean yes you could suspend the sale but I know at my store we aren't allowed to. GSTLS are always watching!!

At my store it takes forever when you try to retrieve a suspended transaction....the retrieving almost always takes way too long.

Giving guests their change back......I give the guests the change first......this way when they get the cash (over the change) they are less likely to drop any change.
At my store they really don't expect us to count the change back to the guests. Actually, counting the money back to the guest doesn't really help if you don't count it back based on the original total.

What I mean is if a guest gives you $10.00 for a transaction amount of $6.50 the proper way to give the change back is to count it by saying .50 makes $7.00....and (as you give the cash back...count)...$8.00...$9.00 and $10.00.

The way most people count change is to say: Three fifty is your change....then give the guest $1.00, $2.00, $3.00 and say .50 cents.
Since this isn't the proper way to count the change back, you tell the guest that their change is $3.50........give the guest the change and then give them the bills. They get their money back and you haven't counted it back incorrectly.

Make it even easier by telling guests that you are way low on money in your drawer......and ask them to pay with a Red card or some other credit card!! Just make sure that your management people don't hear you say this!!

Or, what I really wish I could do is come out from behind the register and call guests over to my line....but they have to get a red card to check out! That sure would make upper management unhappy. But you know, if they expect us to get 2 cards a shift, doesn't it make sense to just have people come in your line for a redcard?

It actually says in the cashier training guide not to suspend transactions for the purpose of manipulating your speed score. Plus, with how glitchy suspended orders have been lately, it's just not a good idea.

Our GSAs and GSTLs and our LODs tell us to suspend......but it does go against the training guide. So, you follow the guide you'll get slower speed scores....or you listen to the LOD tell you to suspend......and then you are wrong. This is one issue that you can't win.

I don't suspend because it takes so long for the system to retrieve it......sometimes longer than the original transaction takes! Waiting for the system to retrieve then the guests behind the one you are helping get annoyed as they have to wait for the system......that takes forever to retrieve..and then you get unhappier guests who then complain about long it takes them to check out. So....no matter what you do people will be unhappy.......personally you have to decide if you want to piss off the guest or do you want to piss of the GSTL?

I dunno....an express lane for red card users only?
Could work.

Our cashiers suspended the transaction until the guest could get their shit together. I don't know how you can be so unprepared when you get to the register. I make sure I have everything I need before I even put my shit on the counter.

Yeah, suspending the orders makes you look faster, but overall slows you down. Especially when the system loses the transaction and you have to redo it.

Get the change first, then the bills.

Word.

you can always try to suspend the order and bring it back up if you really have to. In the grand scheme of things it really does not matter. Even if you have one slowpoke granny who is looking for every single cent or a foreigner who does not understand US currency too well. As long as you are not consistently Red you will be good. :)

Sussssspendddd! all the time. I use it religiously.

if you don't and hit below speed score goal ; we will bring up during one minute huddles. so yeah suspend.

Yea...

Huddles about cashier's speed are reel importants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back