Archived How can I help my PMT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone,

Recently I've been getting the feeling like I'm on my PMT's last nerve because I ask him to help out with a lot of projects around the store and they end up taking a lot more time than both of us anticipate. Usually I'm able to return the favor with anyone else in the store seeing as I'm trained in just about every position but with our PMT it's a lot more difficult because the position is pretty isolated in it's workload. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can lend a hand to my PMT? Thanks!

Mysupport your issues rather than calling him over for everything. If you don't know how, ask your TL. If they don't want to do that, well..your PMT is right to be upset.

Don't call the PMT. They aren't there to just build all your shit. Im assuming you're either Plano or Signing because other than them, only backroom builds stuff.

Everything should come with instructions on how to build it. PMT has a bunch of other stuff going on

I do MySupport... The only time I bother my PMT for something is when it HAS to be him to get the job done. Hardlines ETL asked me earlier to move the mirrors in the meat bunker over since we swapped deli with meat and I had to ask our PMT to borrow some of his tools because a regular philips wasn't going to cut it. He comes over and a few moments later he finds out that he has to install the mirrors and drill new holes to fit the new POG which turned out to be a huge pain in the ass and a huge chunk of his morning gone. And then there's expanding the shelf wall in the fixture room to accommodate all of the new remodel fixtures. I've offered to install the fixtures for the wall myself if he lets me use his powertools but he said he's not allowed to so there's that.

Rec out some power tools. We did it to build bikes. There's no reason why you couldn't move those mirror though I can see why you call

Right, well he sort of just took over when he saw that it needed to be installed on the otherside and went to town. You have a good point about requesitioning powertools but I'm almost certain nobody is going to do that for me. I'll ask around.

Getting back to the original question though, is there anything I can do to help my PMT? We get along great, I just don't like not being able to return the favor when he helps out with a project.

I say give him Recognition for always helping out and being available..... in the future maybe you can plan to do projects together instead of last minute things that way he prioritize his work. Also treat him to lunch or something.

Like others have said, talk to your PMT ahead of time to plan out what you need from him so he can prioritize. I often ask my PMT to do things that aren't strictly in his scope of duties, like build online returned furniture, but to counter that I also often take care of some of his rewire projects that relate to plano, like moving lockboxes or installing Apple displays. If I can figure it out myself and I have the time, I do it without him. If you have a good working relationship with him, I don't think he will get annoyed with "extra" requests unless you are dumping them on all at once.

Also, even though he has already done the projects, put in a work order so he gets "credit." I would ask him how you can return the favor. Even if he can't think of anything, he will appreciate the offer.

talk to your PMT ahead of time to plan out what you need from him so he can prioritize.
This.
If you can give him a heads-up so he can work it in along with putting in a work order, it shows his leadership what he's doing & it justifies his time on tasks.
You might have to wait for him to get around to your tasks but - like you - he has to answer to leadership as to why he hasn't gotten something finished within a certain timeframe.
Nothing a PMT hates more than someone always coming up with a 'can-you-do-this-for-me?-it won't-take-long-I-promise' situation.

Right, well he sort of just took over when he saw that it needed to be installed on the otherside and went to town. You have a good point about requesitioning powertools but I'm almost certain nobody is going to do that for me. I'll ask around.

Getting back to the original question though, is there anything I can do to help my PMT? We get along great, I just don't like not being able to return the favor when he helps out with a project.

This is because he got a Corporate Work Order. You can do the same if you put in a Work Order, in MySupport.

What is your position in Target? It would help to know to see where you could help.

This.
If you can give him a heads-up so he can work it in along with putting in a work order, it shows his leadership what he's doing & it justifies his time on tasks.
You might have to wait for him to get around to your tasks but - like you - he has to answer to leadership as to why he hasn't gotten something finished within a certain timeframe.
Nothing a PMT hates more than someone always coming up with a 'can-you-do-this-for-me?-it won't-take-long-I-promise' situation.

This includes Signing TM's. I remember jokingly asking TM's to put in Work Orders as it's a new thing for Signing TM's.

My god, did their heads spin.

I try to get a feel for how busy my PMT is. A lot of work that's asked of PMTs isn't in their workload, so submit work orders when necessary. Consider if you can do the work yourself first.

and as always, recognition for when he does help. The better a PMT is, the less likely you are to notice they're doing their job well. I'm sure most of us have had a bad PMT and can absolutely tell the difference.

Generally when the meat mirrors need to move, the PMT will receive a redwire project for him to move/install them because of the tools needed to complete the move. Which is likely why he took over the installation.

Don't call the PMT. They aren't there to just build all your shit. Im assuming you're either Plano or Signing because other than them, only backroom builds stuff.

Everything should come with instructions on how to build it. PMT has a bunch of other stuff going on

If it's a furniture display, no, it's actually a part of their job description (as said by my PMT) to build the furniture displays.

Backroom building anything? hahahaha get the fuck outta here backroom at my store doesn't build shit and I wouldn't want them to.

I say give him Recognition for always helping out and being available..... in the future maybe you can plan to do projects together instead of last minute things that way he prioritize his work. Also treat him to lunch or something.

Oh yeah I say this to my PMT all the time. Like for today I said "hey so that TV we couldn't put up last week came in, let me know when you're free this week and we can do it whenever"

This includes Signing TM's. I remember jokingly asking TM's to put in Work Orders as it's a new thing for Signing TM's.

My god, did their heads spin.

Someone needs to tell the TLs at my store that Iamnottheonlypersonwhocanorderthings

Give him a jar with his favorite candy and keep it full! Lol

I kind of want to do this for my signing steel. Just keep a small bin of candy for pricing plano and PMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back