Archived How can this be legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many things wrong here. Volunteering can not be required. Decorating display trees is work that needs to be on the clock. Family members are not allowed in the backroom.

volunteering cannot be coerced under any circumstances. it defeats the whole purpose call the hotline ASAP. also I would recommend documenting the event, (what it entailed, times ect ect.) because if this is your STL trying to be clever and save payroll by circumventing the rules then his ass is gone by nightfall

Hours are given to plano to decorate these trees. The store is literally saving payroll with this "volunteer" event. This can turn out to be a huge PR nightmare....remember when Wal-Mart had the "Donate to Team Members in Need" shit?

I would compare this event to creating a volunteer event to bale cardboard, clean the freezer, clean the compactor, scrub the backroom floors, or building new shelves. All things that need to get done, are off stage, but don't want to waste payroll on it. Hell, bring your family - they can help out too. I'll even throw in a Target volunteers T-Shirt.

This is borderline wrong. Plano is given hours to do this each year. Having TMs do it for free and calling it an event is sketchy. I understand it's supposed to be fun but one complaint could be a lawsuit. For instance, volunteer for it - video yourself doing it - show the trees being displayed in the store - prove the trees were sold to guests - boom lawsuit. Free work directly contributing to sales. Actually, just displaying the trees in the store would be marketing because guests will be enticed to buy the items on the tree or the tree itself - ultimately contributing to Target's pocket.

Tell that to my management. The signing TM always gets stuck building, setting, and decorating the trees.

Same thing at our store, one TM (signing) builds everything - the hours come from Plano.

bullshit.jpg

I'll just reiterate what everyone else said : this is ridiculous and a potential lawsuit. That is presentation's job. We get payroll for this task. Doing this for free is working off the clock and a potential lawsuit. Unless this somehow benefits your community I don't see how this can be considered a volunteer event.

Sorry all for the delay in responding. My neighbor confirmed that the event occurred within the past few days, and that the trees were in fact store dispay trees that are now out on the sales floor. :( No one was on the clock.
She is furious. She says she's called the hotline, and is also considering contacting other "channels."

Way back in the 90s when we had to decorate every tree display, we did it as a volunteer family activity. Do you have an old timer Etl or stl in your store?

Way back in the 90s when we had to decorate every tree display, we did it as a volunteer family activity. Do you have an old timer Etl or stl in your store?

I don't know anything about the STL or any of the ETL's. (Not my store.) However, I know with the current "no working off the clock" policy this would highly fly in the face of it in my store.

I wasn't going to say anything because I just lurk here, but this post is about my store. The event happened earlier this week and it was my STL's idea (who's been with the company for decades now).

Damn guys, it isn't as big of a deal as you make it out to be. Most people and kids enjoy building and decorating Christmas trees. Instead of looking at it as a potential lawsuit, think of it as the STL thinking it would be some good team member bonding time. It will be a time for enjoying the season, and having some fun. I mean he could just have 1 tm member do it like usual and have that person hate building 10-15 trees.

This seems a lil shady on Spots part. I might could see it being a true volunteer event IF they were going to donate the decorated trees after the holidays. However, even if that was the case I still don't think that its right...the trees will be used as displays of the merchandise Spot SELLS for a profit. Maybe, the Stl has the best of intentions but I just don't think its right. If this is ok ...then I say we have a backstocking party....hell I will even make cupcakes.

There was a time when something like this wouldn't have been that big a deal.
A mom and pop operation getting ready for the holidays, having a party with the families coming in, how American is that?
It would be fun and a great team building effort if it was the 1970s.

Here's the problems now.
The company no longer treats TMs like family.
The TMs won't be home with their family for Thanksgiving because of the company and they aren't getting paid in real dollars what they were back then.
There are hours set aside for the trees that are now going to something else.
As @tgtguy pointed out those trees are going to be used to make a profit and will be sold not donated to charity.

This is not a volunteer event, it's someone wanting the good old days of Target back which is well and good but not possible without some major changes in the way Spot handles their people.
Forcing people to decorate trees isn't going to do it.

And on a side note, how many of the Jewish TMs got to beg off because it just isn't their holiday.
I didn't mind building Christmas displays if I was getting paid for it but unless folks are going to be making potato latkes and spinning the dreidel at this party there's no reason for me to be there.

Damn guys, it isn't as big of a deal as you make it out to be. Most people and kids enjoy building and decorating Christmas trees. Instead of looking at it as a potential lawsuit, think of it as the STL thinking it would be some good team member bonding time. It will be a time for enjoying the season, and having some fun. I mean he could just have 1 tm member do it like usual and have that person hate building 10-15 trees.

I can think of a lot better ways to bond. Like how about build and decorate a tree to donate to a soup kitchen or homeless shelter. Then it's all good. But creating a volunteer event to avoid using payroll hours just seems shady to me.

There was a time when something like this wouldn't have been that big a deal.
A mom and pop operation getting ready for the holidays, having a party with the families coming in, how American is that?
It would be fun and a great team building effort if it was the 1970s.

Here's the problems now.
The company no longer treats TMs like family.
The TMs won't be home with their family for Thanksgiving because of the company and they aren't getting paid in real dollars what they were back then.
There are hours set aside for the trees that are now going to something else.
As @tgtguy pointed out those trees are going to be used to make a profit and will be sold not donated to charity.

This is not a volunteer event, it's someone wanting the good old days of Target back which is well and good but not possible without some major changes in the way Spot handles their people.
Forcing people to decorate trees isn't going to do it.

And on a side note, how many of the Jewish TMs got to beg off because it just isn't their holiday.
I didn't mind building Christmas displays if I was getting paid for it but unless folks are going to be making potato latkes and spinning the dreidel at this party there's no reason for me to be there.

When , I first started with Spot every Christmas they would donate trees to needy families and or the agencies that assist needy families . All the trees had lights on the them and were fully decorated. The last few years, the trees are just trees...no decorations. I even heard a stl in my store tell the log etl ( when the United Way came to pick up a tree)...well gosh you could have at least picked a tree that was pre- lit to give them now they are going to have to buy lights ...and then they laughed about it . I wanted to tell the lady picking the tree up to just throw it in the dumpster and I would buy her one myself .

I can think of a lot better ways to bond. Like how about build and decorate a tree to donate to a soup kitchen or homeless shelter. Then it's all good. But creating a volunteer event to avoid using payroll hours just seems shady to me.
Or how about treating your team members right to begin with....that's a great way to bond with them !

Still waiting for my bin building, overhead putting up party to be approved. I have the wine and cake all ready to go, that makes it a party right?

The only tree that was suppose to be decorated is the 10.5 foot tree. It came with display ornaments. How are they going to make an event out of that?

The only tree that was suppose to be decorated is the 10.5 foot tree. It came with display ornaments. How are they going to make an event out of that?

At the event they put the trees together. Singing TM decorated the 10.5 foot one on the clock

Are you 100% sure he is doing it to avoid payroll????? no you dont know.

Or how about treating your team members right to begin with....that's a great way to bond with them !
Are you aware how that STL treats his team members?? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back