Archived How do sick days work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where this question would go but today I called in sick for the first time and I was wondering how sick days actually work. Will I be paid for the 8 hour shift I'm missing today? I don't have my most recent pay stub on me but I think I average around 25 hours a week. I've been at target for about 4 months now. I feel really guilty calling in sick even though I've been working with a cold all week (this morning I decided I needed a recovery day, can't be a good cashier without a voice). Luckily my LOD is super sweet and understanding and didn't make me feel bad about it. Anyone have any general info on sick days?

Sick pay is only offered in locations where Target is legally required to offer it: California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Hawaii, New Jersey, New York, New York City, Jersey City, Oregon (including Portland), Rhode Island, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and Emeryville.

If you work in one of those locations, you generally will start accruing sick time on your date of hire at a rate of 1 hour per every 30 or 40 hours worked.

You can find out what specifically applies to you at Your Benefits Resources -- Greeting Page on the my pay tab.

It works the same as vacation time. Only difference is you have to fill out a paper form. You can't use sick time through ehr/mytime. You can use it up to your average hours. You don't "call in sick." You call out, then after the fact, you can choose to use your sick hours.

It works the same as vacation time. Only difference is you have to fill out a paper form. You can't use sick time through ehr/mytime. You can use it up to your average hours. You don't "call in sick." You call out, then after the fact, you can choose to use your sick hours.

Definitely check out your local laws, though. In some states it is illegal for spot to cap sick time use at average hours, but spot may still pull that garbage, I'll leave it at that.

Definitely check out your local laws, though. In some states it is illegal for spot to cap sick time use at average hours, but spot may still pull that garbage, I'll leave it at that.

For clarity, I'm in nj and this is what I'm told by hr. Though, they've passed off incorrect information due to misunderstandings in the past so that could still be wrong.

For clarity, I'm in nj and this is what I'm told by hr. Though, they've passed off incorrect information due to misunderstandings in the past so that could still be wrong.

Sick time is still capped at your average hours in NJ.

Can sick time be used as vacation time? Like let's say I have over 50 hours of sick time, I can't take a week off up to my average hours using sick time?

Can sick time be used as vacation time? Like let's say I have over 50 hours of sick time, I can't take a week off up to my average hours using sick time?

Yea, you can. Don't need a doctors note... Unless that's another one of those things that differs by state. I honestly write "poverty" in the reason for requesting line of the form. Every time.

Yea, you can. Don't need a doctors note... Unless that's another one of those things that differs by state. I honestly write "poverty" in the reason for requesting line of the form. Every time.

I believe a lot of things vary by state. In mine you need a doctor's note only if the absence is 3 days or longer.

Yea, I'm thinking even if there's a doctor's note law in nj, it's written in a way where the employer can only ask for one under xyz conditions, but that not asking for one doesn't go against anything.

My store seems pretty lax on sick hours in general. When hours get cut they're all "this is a great time to pad your checks with vacation and sick hours!"

I think you have to have a doctors note

Hmm. I hope I don't need a note. I just want to take a vacation, but I'm probably going to use up all my vacation time padding hours if they don't start scheduling me up to my average at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back