Archived How Do You Deal With Night Responsibility (Mixed Schedule)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Finally A Guest Again
I had a set schedule from HR and one of my ETL's just told me that he wants me to move to mid and late shifts. I live in an apartment with 2 dogs who no one else can take care of for me. I have family at home in the morning but not in the afternoon. I can't leave them alone for almost an entire day. My family have their own jobs and work the late night shifts and come home around 2am and 3am. From the sound of it, they want to move me to a 3pm to midnight shift. I simply can't do that because of my pets. Do you think the ETL and HR will understand this or am I about to have a really bad time at work from now on?

When my team lead start putting me on closing shift, I tried telling them how scary it was to ride my bike through the ghetto at night and they basically told me to fuck myself.
I've gone through that. I take public transportation to go to work and back home. I said that to my last employer and I got the same result. People are cold hearted... I don't think they will ever understand how messed up the streets can be after midnight. Not even if we got shot and stabbed and put in a 3 week coma. It's like you have to be sacrificed to Satan, go through hell for 666 years and then swallowed by a shark at revival in order to even be let out an hour earlier than closing...

You must have open availability. Try changing it and be honest why you are doing it. Maybe they like animals.

I've had to bargain my schedule in lean times. Hubby works nights and often picks up double shifts. We have two dogs and nobody I trust to let them out...my husky would be halfway to Canada by time I drive home if she skipped out on them. I've had to split a double or come in later/earlier or leave earlier than they wanted. But I've worked every conceivable shift over the years and longer shifts than the tls when needed. They don't give me crap if I say I don't want to move shifts or I can't. But it took sweat and blood and bruises to earn that right.

Why not pay a neighborhood teen to let them out? You can check local Facebook "mom groups" for a good kid who wants to make an extra $20/week or whatever. (Try paying child care out of a Target salary, lol! I feel your pain. :/ )

Is this change within your availability?

You could just tell them you can't due to family responsibilities.

How many of your ETLs and TLs work a set schedule only opening or only closing? And how many do you think have pets? They won't feel sympathy.

Definitely change your availability asap and get it signed off or approved. Open availability means they can schedule you wherever and whenever they like. Granted they try to do that at times anyway but at least if it is outside your availability you have more leverage to work with. And remember all stores are not the same. Only you know the type of leadership you are dealing with.

Yea close your availability up because of your pets. Then watch your hours dwindle down to nothing.

Thanks everyone. I'll try to set my availability to leave at an earlier time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back