Archived How do you handle working two jobs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodil

Tech Savvy ~ Former Collegiate esports player
Hi everyone, I just started as a Seasonal Team Member. I'm here to ask for those who are working/worked two or more jobs a few questions.

Kind of early to say since I just started as TM but I've given it some thought if I do want a second job.
I ask, this because if I manage to not get an offer for a job after the seasonal period ends. I will have the second job so I wouldn't need to worry about looking for another if thats the case.

1. How do you balance / make your schedule flexible?

2. Do you prioritize one job over the other? (ex: better pay, better hours, better benefits)

3. Tips on handling exhaustion / burnt out?

4. Do you have a specific day off?

Thanks, Prodil 😄

How many hours do you work at your primary job?

Also, how many hours do you want to work at Target, and how many hours did your store 'suggest' they would be able to give you?

1.) When you applied did you put down you have open availability? If so they will hold you to that, and as a new hire they probably won't let you change your availability for 90 days.

2.) Yes. Go with the job with the better pay, better hours, and better benefits. Remember, the job with the higher hourly rate isn't the best choice if you are not getting many hours. Also, decent benefits (healthcare) at Spot don't kick in until you have been there for a year AND you have worked enough each week to get your average weekly hours up to or greater than 29.5 hours.

3.) Others who work a second job will have to address this for you.

4.) Refer to answer #1.

I've worked two jobs on a number of occasions.
I worked a full time M-F 9-5 job then a weekend only job that was pretty much also 9-5.
7 days a week is a bitch but if you get enough sleep every night you can make it.
You just don't have time for much of anything else.

I also worked a day job and a night job.
8-3 and 5-1 Sun - Thur
That leaves the Friday to basically do all my sleeping and Saturday to sort of have family duties only I was still a zombie.
I did that for almost a year before my wife put her foot down because she never really saw me.
I'm not the type who can go half way on any job.

The 2nd possible job is Starbucks I recently got a call for an interview this Saturday.
I've asked the Starbucks manager if I do get hired if I could split hours with both jobs if my target is willing to cooperate as well. Which he was all down for.
Yeah, I did put open availability for target im hoping they will be nice about a schedule change because everyone there has been helpful and nice so far. But I shouldn't assume things of course.
I'm working 27 hours this week and 30 next week for Target. Funny though one of the LODs asked if I wanted more hours on my first day I was like yeah no thanks.

Thanks, for all your advice and experience!

I'm coming at this from a different angle, Target is my second job. When my office job needed me to cut back because business was slow, I worked with my immediate supervisor to determine the best way to set my schedule for business needs and then gave Target a 6-day availability with hours that worked around the office job. And because I was giving them 6 days, even if it wasn't 6 full days, they were okay with my absolute refusal to work Sundays. As the situation changed at the office job and they were able to give me more hours, I reduced my Target availability to fit. But, Target knew from my interviews that they were supplemental income and that the office job would always come first in a schedule conflict.

You can do it just do not make target your primary job. Set your availability at target low because they won't give you hours till the holidays ...maybe...excellent at other job...coast target because it is not worth the stress of bs.

Like @GoodyNN, Target is my 2nd job. My other one is a 8-4 M-F set schedule. Target is 5:30-closing 3-4 nights a week and Saturday but not set days/hours.

I was very clear when originally hired that my availability during the school year would be limited.

It's tough but I make it work. I've thought about ditching both for just one better paying job but that isnt' quite as easy as it sounds.

I would never try to juggle 2 retail/fast food jobs though. Too many moving parts IMO.

I had it easier than most doing the double jobs. The bulk of my hours at my career are Thursday and Friday. I wasn't available at Target on Thursday. Friday got a bit tricky, but I managed. I usually worked both jobs on Saturday too, but Target was only a few hours mostly in the morning.

I had my own business that I was able to work 7-3:00 and give Target nights and weekends : M-F 3:30-11:00, any 8 hour shifts on weekends. I was GSTL at the time and the other GSTL LOVED that they worked all DAYSIDE shifts and NEVER needed to work a night or weekend - she actually had quality family time working retail - very rare.
The truth is: no time for ANYTHING but work & sleep.

1. How do you balance / make your schedule flexible?

2. Do you prioritize one job over the other? (ex: better pay, better hours, better benefits)

3. Tips on handling exhaustion / burnt out?

4. Do you have a specific day off?
I've been working multiple (sometimes more than 2) jobs the whole time I've been working at Target (more than a few years).
1. Part of this depends on what the other job is. If one job has no flexibility, you'll have to set up your availability for Target to work around it and maybe pick up other shifts on the fly.
2. I put priority on the permanent job, whether or not it paid more. When Target became permanent (I hired in as seasonal), I prioritized the one that paid more.
3. Exhaustion and burn-out, yeah those are real issues. But it was for me back when I had a salaried job, supposedly only 40 hours a week. It had great benefits but it had a lot of stress too. Juggling two jobs can be tricky, but for me the reduction in stress is worth it. Life is full of trade-offs; decide what you're willing to trade for what you need.
4. Ha! Seriously, I take my days off as they come. Usually, it's only a half-day and I'm glad for even that. Sometimes a client with my other job cancels and even though that means less money, it also means some unexpected free time so I don't complain. 4th quarter can be a bear, but I just keep telling myself it's only short-term until early January and I can get through it.

Most TMs I talk to work two jobs, but I'm not sure how many have two part time jobs vs. a part time & a full time job. They make it work.

Me, I have a full time professional job and Target is a side gig. I started seasonal working 20 hours a week, and I did that for the Q4 season and then when I went permanent I backed off to 15. With a full time day job, house, husband & 2 (not severely) special needs kids 20 hours was too much, given that my store schedules me on 5 hour shifts. I don't mind 5 hour shifts, generally speaking, but 3 nights is manageable week-to-week (four+ is not). I work every Saturday & Sunday night, unless I specifically take a weekend day off, and then one day during the week.

As to how to make it work? I dunno, I just sort of suck it up and do it. My husband was laid off a few years ago and hasn't been able to find much and then when the youngest started school and was later diagnosed with autism we found really couldn't have him working because Youngest wasn't able to be in after school care and we needed someone to handle all the school shit and whatnot and then the severance ended and unemployment ran out and my income wasn't quite enough so I supplement with 15 hours a week at Spot. Would I much rather not to have to work the second job? Hell yeah, but it is what it is. My husband would rather be working, too, but, again, it is what it is.

I do prioritize my day job over Target, but it's pretty much never been an issue. I'm fortunate my day job is flexible and rarely has crises of the type that necessitate working off hours, and I actually enjoy my day job so it's not like I'm juggling a miserable day job situation with a second job.

Target is my second job.

I have a primary one where I make about double what Target pays me an hour so I don't prioritize Target over it.
I have my 8-5 M-F and I told Target I can only do 5 days out of the week after 6:00 PM M-F and generally free on weekends.

I make sure they don't keep me too late as I wouldn't get enough rest to start my main job the next morning.

*UPDATE*
I just did my starbucks interview today. It went well I’m hoping target will be nice to reschedule my open availability.

I’m most likely going to make starbucks my primary job.
For starbucks I have my schedule set for mornings M-F 4am-2pm

Today will be my third day working at target.
My second day was hell. I learned a lot on my own because I only had one day of training and only for working cashier. (there’s more to the story but i don’t have time to type it all) Learned how to backstock, and use the target app to help guest where things are and what not. I wish target has a better training system for seasonal team members. Wish me luck on my third day. 😔😔😔 Working closing..

I’m a morning person. I would like to have my evening open and what not. It may subject to change. 😅

i do want to warn you that being so new, an attempt to close your availability at all may be met with resistance from your leaders and HR. we typically don't allow team members to limit the availability that they confirmed with us at orientation for their first 90 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back