Archived How do you respond to the people who want your help off the clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlowChick

Expect The Unexpected
So I guess I pissed off some lady today...

After clocking out for the day, I went to go purchase some stuff. I got my purse and a bag and product in my hands.

This lady behind me is on the phone blabbing away about how she's going to Walmart because Target is too expensive....

So then she says "Excuse me, can you help me with..."

"Sorry I can't, I'm not working."

"What do you mean you're not working!?"

"I mean I'm off the clock."

"Well can't you just help me????"

"Umm no, and actually it is illegal for me to....."

"Huh..That's weird!" And storms off...

Haha...great response.

I'm not trying to be rude. Some people totally get it. Others not so much.

I have in the past helped someone off the clock Ie showing them where something is etc. Now, I simply say that I have clocked out for the day. If I see a fellow team member near by I will direct the guest to them....or tell the guest to pick up the red phone etc.

If the guest is nice, I apologize for the inconvenience but they'll have to find another team member. If they are totally nasty, they either get ignored or flat out just told "No, I will not help you." The worst I ever had was one person who demanded I sell him a prepaid phone after I clocked out and was looking at phone cases, I was clearly not working wearing a dark sweatshirt and holding a gallon of milk, after I gave him my first spiel and he demanded I go check the back "Stop bullshitting me, do your fucking job and get me this phone, I don't have time for this" so I said "certainly, let me go check for you." Let the other electronics TM know what was happening and just visibly walked out the front door and left. He later complained to the other electronics guy that I didn't help him and his response was perfect: "He doesn't work here anymore, as of (shift end time) today." because if I'm not on the clock, I don't work there (that's my opinion). The next day he came in to complain and he was stuck dealing with me until the LOD (and AP because he was full on screaming) showed up where I reiterated to him that if I'm not on the clock, I don't work there and can't help him. He was so aggressive that AP trespassed him.

From all this, my advice would be just a polite "I'm not working right now. You'll need to find someone else because it's against policy and the law for me to help you when I'm not working." If they don't listen or become rude, too bad for them, you're under no obligation to even acknowledge their presence and any decent LOD will back you up 100%.

If I could point to something like I would have done as if I was any other customer no problem.
Telling someone where something where to go can make your day.
Anything beyond that I'd say, see that red shirt over there... they can help you, I can't because I'm clocked out for the day.

If the guest is nice, I apologize for the inconvenience but they'll have to find another team member. If they are totally nasty, they either get ignored or flat out just told "No, I will not help you." The worst I ever had was one person who demanded I sell him a prepaid phone after I clocked out and was looking at phone cases, I was clearly not working wearing a dark sweatshirt and holding a gallon of milk, after I gave him my first spiel and he demanded I go check the back "Stop bullshitting me, do your fucking job and get me this phone, I don't have time for this" so I said "certainly, let me go check for you." Let the other electronics TM know what was happening and just visibly walked out the front door and left. He later complained to the other electronics guy that I didn't help him and his response was perfect: "He doesn't work here anymore, as of (shift end time) today." because if I'm not on the clock, I don't work there (that's my opinion). The next day he came in to complain and he was stuck dealing with me until the LOD (and AP because he was full on screaming) showed up where I reiterated to him that if I'm not on the clock, I don't work there and can't help him. He was so aggressive that AP trespassed him.

From all this, my advice would be just a polite "I'm not working right now. You'll need to find someone else because it's against policy and the law for me to help you when I'm not working." If they don't listen or become rude, too bad for them, you're under no obligation to even acknowledge their presence and any decent LOD will back you up 100%.

Holy cow! I would of been horrified by that experience!!!

If I could point to something like I would have done as if I was any other customer no problem.
Telling someone where something where to go can make your day.
Anything beyond that I'd say, see that red shirt over there... they can help you, I can't because I'm clocked out for the day.

I will do that. I think Customer Service just lets you see the BEST and WORST of the Humanity among us...

I remember actually snapping at my boyfriend because he was gonna make a big deal that some cashier was helping a customer and turned their light off. Because he wanted to bring his stuff there. I told him to shut the hell up. Haha. I explained to him that when someone does that it means they need to close. They can get in trouble if they don't take their break or clock out when they are supposed to. There IS A REASON why they are doing that.

Dear husband forgot to get his coupon out.
When he started winding up his whine, I said he'd better not even THINK about being "that guest" in front of my fellow TMs or I'd b*tch-slap him all the way out the door.

Dear husband forgot to get his coupon out.
When he started winding up his whine, I said he'd better not even THINK about being "that guest" in front of my fellow TMs or I'd b*tch-slap him all the way out the door.

LOL! I just can't stand anyone being an pompous ass.

I had a guest ask me where to find something while I was on lunch and heading to checkout (food and drink in my hand). It was really busy and everyone was backing up on a checklane so I kind of looked around helplessly before pointing them in the general direction and saying someone down there can show you.

Another time, I was shopping after work, several items in my cart, looking at my phone. A lady said "Excuse me...never mind you don't work here...wait do you work here?"

I just ignored her and walked away while still looking at my phone.

The other day I stopped by our closest store on the way home after work...got stopped by a guest and said sorry I don't work here. She started with the you're wearing a red shirt, don't be lazy, etc. I told her I could help her, but first I'd need her address so I could stop by and insist she help me with something it wasn't her job to deal with at an inconvenient time. She got even more pissed after that. Lol.

Normally I say sorry I'm not working and rush past.

But I get stopped everywhere I go. I clip my keys to a belt loop and people think I'm a manager. Three people stopped me at Wal-Mart last night. I was there five minutes. In red and khaki. Two of then said it was my shirt color. Wtf?

But I get stopped everywhere I go. I clip my keys to a belt loop and people think I'm a manager. Three people stopped me at Wal-Mart last night. I was there five minutes. In red and khaki. Two of then said it was my shirt color. Wtf?

A few months ago I got sick of putting my electronics keys down and forgetting them so I got one of those retractable key things so my keys find their way to a convenient location by themselves. Well my STL saw and decided this looked professional and got all the ETLs, GSTLs, and TLs one from Bullseye Shop to use alongside their now required collared shirts. I now consistently get manager questions because the guests have learned to associate key retractor with manager. Sometimes team members even do it.

I worked at Target years ago and left. For months after whenever I shopped any Target people asked me to help them, must be a body language thing. I'll probably be helping people find stuff in pergatory at this rate.

I worked at Target years ago and left. For months after whenever I shopped any Target people asked me to help them, must be a body language thing. I'll probably be helping people find stuff in pergatory at this rate.

It definitely is body language. Unfortunately for me every time someone asks me, there's no other TM to be found so I just look rude. I guess I just don't want someone to complain about me for being rude.

I think a confused and slightly annoyed, "do I know you?" would drive away most guests. If they think you know them from somewhere, that means you can tell their friends or other people they associate with what a pompous ass they are.

Loved the time a guest shouted at me because I didnt hear him while I was on the phone, in a black jacket, and he wanted me to get more cashiers up to the front. He huffed and puffed about what horrible customer service that was, luckily my GSA stood on my side

tumblr_lpxxc5ZHG91qartaso1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back