Archived How Does Leadership deal with “Their Own” in regards to attendance

Do you have Leadership that are Hypocrites?

• Yes

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

We’ve all seen it @ our stores. Said TL has the absolute Worst attendance. Yet they are Still Employed. Also for some, that “handicapped” ETL that’s Always out for periods of time due to medical reasons. So my question goes to the high ups (Former LOG, Sr Merch, STL) etc. How are they “reprimanded”? I already know how tm’s are. I’m sure it goes deeper for Leadership though.

Worked at my current store for over a year now, and I've only heard of a srtl or higher calling out once. If any of the team leads or etls had a real attendance problem, our STL would be all over it.

So my question goes to the high ups (Former LOG, Sr Merch, STL) etc. How are they “reprimanded”? I already know how tm’s are. I’m sure it goes deeper for Leadership though.

For Team Leaders with bad attendance, an ETL does the same thing that a TL would do for a TM. The ETL pulls their attendance, coaches them, writes them up, etc.

For ETLs with issues, I think that the STL would probably have a chat with them. ETLs don't have to use the timeclock but it is pretty noticeable when they are late. Like, if they were "E*" and it is 8:00 AM but they are still nowhere in sight while walkies are going off asking where the LOD is at. :eek:

I like most of my leaders they usually cover for each other so I have seen ETLs do a 7 to 11 for a sick closer.

Our seniors are late a lot but they also take lod calls on their lunch and put up with a lot for meh pay compared to the etls. So I don't hate on them being late occasionally.

Is annoying when the opener is late though. Hate getting 7 punch corrections because the opening LOD was late

My old ETL, before they transferred, used to leave early sometimes. I would always hear the other ETLs saying how they shouldn’t have been doing that. It’s rare for TLs/SRTLs to call out at my home. I probably called out maybe three or less times this year. If we are late, we get the same treatment as a TM, coaching, corrective, etc. Our ETLs are really flexible with each other. They tend to switch their shifts, even when one of the SRs was on medical leave for a month or two they took over shifts like it was nothing.

Last edited:
Because the STL and ETLs are salaried.... I don't think the same "rules" apply to them. They work things out between themselves; ie.... coming in late, swapping shifts, covering for one another on sick days.
However..... I do have a beef with out SrHRTL. She's LATE everyday. E V E R Y D A Y. Hypocrite.

Reactions: Him
My leaders are pretty good attendance-wise. My ETL-GE is kind of a weirdo, though. It's funny, back in SFS one day with me she was helping pack and she was like just super nice to me, I caught her in a good mood or something, but the next day it was back to her old antics.

I feel she has un-realistic goals to achieve and that she expects everything to be done just because she's a boss. It's like she will tell you finish order picks by 1 o'clock and it's already 12pm and you're the only TM in SFS and there's 140 DPCIs to pick still and she won't get help for you, but she still expects it to all be done. This never happened, by the way, I'm just trying to make an over-dramatic example lmao.

So, in that regards, I still voted no, but she's really the only "hypocritical" one when she expects impossible things and when she tries it herself she fails to get it done herself. I called in once and she picked up and I was sick with a head cold with a really runny and stuffy nose and she says "Well, I showed up with the same thing you have, I'm still at work, but it is what it is." and I'm just like "ok thanks bye" and it's just so stupid because at the time I was only at $10.25 an hour and she's making 60k a year as an ETL and I'm sitting here thinking "I'm just a cashier, I get only $300 a paycheck, it's not fucking worth it to go in" but when I'm getting paid 60,000+ a year, hell yeah I have no reason to let a cold keep me from work.

Otherwise, I have pretty great leaders.

Reactions: Him
Because the STL and ETLs are salaried.... I don't think the same "rules" apply to them. They work things out between themselves; ie.... coming in late, swapping shifts, covering for one another on sick days.
However..... I do have a beef with out SrHRTL. She's LATE everyday. E V E R Y D A Y. Hypocrite.
Except that's not how it works. The LOD schedule is unreliable, nobody knows who is opening the door for the team, nobody knows when the closing exempts are coming in, non-exempt closing LOD: be ready to take your mean 2 hours into your shift so the exempts can go home. Our exempts work no where near 50 and some weeks are putting in less than 40.

Like HR Zone stated, if a leader (Tl/srTl or ETL) comes in late but stays late or takes calls when they aren't LOD, then it is not looked at thoroughly unless a consistent pattern. However, at this current time, we have 2 TLs with issues. They have been coached just like other TMs. If they cannot improve, then they will be replaced eventually. Trust me, if you noticed a co-worker being late and you are a TL or above in the store, the TMs knew about it 2/3 weeks sooner as TMs watch leadership closer than anyone else.

Our srtl log loves to brag about how he never calls out. He will talk about how when he has a bad cold, flue etc he is at work. Which is true...but what he leaves out he calls the etl log and switches his days off around. So,while hes not "calling out" he is having his schedule changed. To me its the same thing

I had a SrTL that was late all the time. They were also pretty terrible at their job. Nice person, but a lazy fuck.

I'd have to check, but last I heard he was still working with the company.

No one else had any attendance issues that I was aware of.

I also don't remember an Ops manager having any attendance issues. Much harder to cover for you on the fly in that role

I had an ETL.. Most useless thing on 2 feet that I've ever worked with. Ever. Maybe put in 25 hours a week. Most of that camping out in the office. Called in or went home sick often. Then would have Facebook status updates like great family day at the zoo. Did I say laziest thing Ever? Sad thing, it got an STL promotion. Ran that store into the ground in 4 months. Worst BTS in the district. Quit in lieu of getting fired. Most useless thing ever.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ETL with attendance issues. Granted, we still have those who leave “early” on days when the STL is off, but it’s nothing crazy.

My one pet peeve is when the closing LOD complains about being opening LOD the next morning, by says their peer is covering so they don’t have to be in until 9:00. This is often said in front of other TMs who are due back at 7:00...

My one pet peeve is when the closing LOD complains about being opening LOD the next morning, by says their peer is covering so they don’t have to be in until 9:00. This is often said in front of other TMs who are due back at 7:00...
I had this happen last year, we all stayed until 12:30-1am and I had to be in for an instocks shift at 6:30am

My LOD was supposed to be in at 7 and wrote down on the email that he would be in at 10. :cool:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ETL with attendance issues. Granted, we still have those who leave “early” on days when the STL is off, but it’s nothing crazy.

I had this happen last year, we all stayed until 12:30-1am and I had to be in for an instocks shift at 6:30am

My LOD was supposed to be in at 7 and wrote down on the email that he would be in at 10. :cool:
That's why I feel theirs Hypocrisy with them. At the end of the day yes we are All Human and have lives outside of Spot but don't come at said Tm's when you yourself give those Same type of excuses. If that be the case, give All Exempt workers email addresses and formal training on how to run said processes and we can "Run" ourselves. :D:D:p:cool:

When I was an intern, I had to call off from an LOD because I had stomach issues, and needed to be close to a bathroom. When I came back, I was read the riot act for calling off. I told her that I couldn't be LOD from the bathroom, and she said 'unless someone in your family is in the hospital or dead, don't ever call off as an ETL.'

I will say that in my store, the ETL's policed themselves... it was considered bad manners to be late, etc as an ETL. The one advantage was that they all covered for one another in emergency situations. since they are salary, it is easier to find a replacement since they need not worry about OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back