How hard is it to term a TM for internal theft?

Also once inventory comes around and see a high shortage, they will lock it down. They will have new routines to reduce shortage and security lock everything over $20.
The only thing stopping them from putting everything in glass cases is they don’t want to look like Walmart and not wanting guest to wait for their items.
Not that it matters at this point because OP deleted their account, but just wanted to chip in on the popular rumor that AP waits to hit felony level before closing out an internal. Whilst this may be true for some stores, it is definitely not best practice and is written nowhere in any training we receive. Some AP teams more than likely do this to boost their own stats or to get a really good case to put on their resume to help them move up the chain, however best practice is to identify the theft, build a case and close it out as soon as it's air tight. I've closed out internals after just a weeks worth of review before. The only time I can say I would wait on closing an already air tight internal, was if the dollar value was less than maybe twenty dollars, I might wait a month to see if they'll take anything else and if not I'd just pull them. I've pulled a team member for stealing a 5 dollar gift card two months before I pulled them.
My store is a high AP risk and we’re supposedly a top store in our district for internals (good or bad depending on how you look).
They don’t wait for it be felony level for internals thefts, sometimes felony for known boosters. Once they find out from other TMs or random surveillance, they will start building a case. We found food wrappers in specific backroom aisles and after reporting it, a TM no longer worked within a week or two. I’ve seen it from $50 to $2K (admitted to everything since hired). I’m not sure if it’s best practice but they’ve actually planted some expensive headphones in an off-stage area and the suspected TM took the bait.
If AP wants to get you, they will find a way to get you.

Last edited:
They will have new routines to reduce shortage and security lock everything over $20.

2d77baa390f8b7817772618580b21a44.jpg

We already don't have enough cases and spider wrap as it is for things $50+. Love to see them try this at my store

When it feels like no one (AP) is doing anything, that can be when they are most busy. If a tm is helping themselves it is important to see if they are acting alone. They also want/need to see the scope and how they are actually ripping the store off. Look at it this way, if Billy Bob is having a few snacks on the house and has lifted a few dvds, did he show it off to another tm? Is that tm doing the same thing. Is this a group thing? Who else in involved. It also can matter in the $$$ amount if they are termed and unlimitedly arrested, petty theft or more. I always find it amusing when people say everyone sees it why aren't they doing anything? Crossing T's and dotting I's is essential in these situations.

Yes the particulars are crucial and can vary by individual and situation. Look at this way, if Billy Bob brings a gun up to the cash office and demands all the money, it's considered armed robbery and AP must act accordingly, but if I do it then it's just a capital raise. All in the details fam!

When it feels like no one (AP) is doing anything, that can be when they are most busy. If a tm is helping themselves it is important to see if they are acting alone. They also want/need to see the scope and how they are actually ripping the store off. Look at it this way, if Billy Bob is having a few snacks on the house and has lifted a few dvds, did he show it off to another tm? Is that tm doing the same thing. Is this a group thing? Who else in involved.

Yes this is important to know for the people who think other team members stealing doesn't affect them. It is part of our job to know the relationships within the store, if your friend is stealing (doesn't matter if you know it or not) then there is about a 100% chance that you're getting looked into too to determine if you are participating as well or even just know about the theft.

Back