Archived How is the experience working at a DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently applied for a target warehouse worker position and received a call back with an interview coming up.

How is the experience working at a DC?
-I understand that the experience can vary from DC to DC.

The HR person told me that I will be lifting up to 50 lbs while working--this number seem kind of low for a working in the warehouse.

Is the day very consistent of loading and unloading trucks? I would think that keeping busy helps with the 12 hours to go by quick :)

What should I expect for my first day working in the warehouse--if I get the job?

I also heard from a friend who works there and a friend who just applied that they removed the physical--is this true?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

It all depends on what department you get sent to:
Outbound-Loading trucks as a new hire. Work is hard, unrelenting and brutal.
Inbound-Unloading trucks on the manual dock as a new hire. Work can vary from brutal to easy, but you can usually work at your own pace.
Warehouse-Start out picking cartons in an order picker. Work is easy, if sometimes boring.
MBP-Like warehouse, but you also have to cut open boxes and grab individual units.

As to the weight thing, usually you wont deal with anything over 60 lbs unless it's noncon freight, and then it's only Outbound and specialty roles in Inbound and Warehouse that deal with that.

For your 1st day, you'll spend most of the day training, either in a classroom for RC (IB) or SP (WHS/MBP) equipment training or in OB learning how to properly work your doors/build walls. At least in my building, you only work 1/2 shift for your first week, to try and acclimate new hires to our hours, esp. for us on the overnight shifts.

Haven't heard anything about dropping the assessment. Can't imagine they would, probably be a liability issue.

I heard about the physical being dropped but I never heard of a hearing test being added.

I want a job at the DC. Hear it pays well, I wonder can a store ETL or STL send a recommendation?

I want a job at the DC. Hear it pays well, I wonder can a store ETL or STL send a recommendation?
When I started my transfer, my BRTL wanted to give me one, but the ETL-HR told them that it's not company policy to accept recommendations for transfers. So then both my BRTL and the STL called the RDC to give me a recommendation, out of spite for the ETL-HR. So I guess officially, no, but they might do it anyways.

When I started my transfer, my BRTL wanted to give me one, but the ETL-HR told them that it's not company policy to accept recommendations for transfers. So then both my BRTL and the STL called the RDC to give me a recommendation, out of spite for the ETL-HR. So I guess officially, no, but they might do it anyways.
HR can kiss my ass. Recommendations go a long way when moving along within a company.

Interesting. Our STL provides and accepts recommendations to other stores. We had an ETL that recently transferred to a DC. STL provided a recommendation.

Depends on DC too as noted. We start new IB TMs in ART.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to assume that the warehouse isn't a controlled climate.?

Are you usually working with someone on by yourself?

Is each individual assigned a target and/or quota for the day?

There's heat and cold in some areas. It's pretty inefficient, so don't rely on it to do a lot. Dress cool in the summer and wear layers in the winter.

You might work with others or by yourself. Depends on workcenter and/or function.

Individuals are usually responsible for a a productivity number each day. Whether you earn it as part of a team or not depends again on workcenter/function. I don't know how numbers work for pallet putters or outbound, but I can give you an idea for pretty much anything else if you are curious.

Good morning. I have a few more questions.

When your shift ends do you leave immediately and have the next shift take over?

I went on my 2nd interview and received a cond offer and completed a background and drug screening the same day. I received an email about the orientation date but they never told me what shift. Im not sure if this is good enough to put in a 2 weeks at my job. I dont know the shift which can be a problem as i have a family. Should i call hr and find out?

You'll probably start within a week of orientation, so it's not a bad idea to get a hold of HR at this point. When the bell rings, go home. Next shift is taking over at that point.

Spoke to a lady with human resources got the shift i wanted.

She said that i will do 2 weeks of doing only half of my shift to get used to it....is it that bad that you need two weeks to get used to it?

It can be a difficult job and expectations are usually very high. I assume they do this so you can become acclimated to the work environment instead of being tossed into it at full blast like a lot of us were.

Any tips or advice working in the DC-- especially for my first 90 days? Do you have any examples of what you mean by difficult job?

Terrible offer letter if they didn't include department and shift. Sorry OP sounds like HR isn't giving you all info up front!

I received a phone call from Hr all i was told was my shift, the confirmation of my orientation date and only working 1/2 of my shift for the first couple of weeks. Nothing regarding which dept....

@DMack your being hired as a seasonal warehouse worker.... not full time team member...that's there new process for hiring employees..once your ramped up in your department then you begin working full shifts ...you'll remain a seasonal for awhile... if you wanna become full time with benefits it takes time and patience just be on time never call off n have a good attitude...

Welcome to the team, I know at least in our DC we do half shifts for the new team members for a week then they go to the full shifts, but I guess it varies by DC. First ninety days be positive and show a willingness to learn

@DMack your being hired as a seasonal warehouse worker.... not full time team member...that's there new process for hiring employees..once your ramped up in your department then you begin working full shifts ...you'll remain a seasonal for awhile... if you wanna become full time with benefits it takes time and patience just be on time never call off n have a good attitude...

They never said anything about it being seasonal. Also doesn't seasonal get paid a bit less than the worker that aren't seasonal? Thanks for the feedback. :)

Welcome to the team, I know at least in our DC we do half shifts for the new team members for a week then they go to the full shifts, but I guess it varies by DC. First ninety days be positive and show a willingness to learn

Thank you for your advice. :) I'm a bit on the nervous side! I still haven't put in my two weeks for my current job. LOL I wish i could do both. :(

If they didn't say you were seasonal, you are probably full time. Our D.C. Has been hiring full time employees for months now. They hired houndreds in that time and then net employee increase is like 10 or something, from what I've heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back