How late is closing duties?

Full disclosure, I no longer work at Spot, but my daughter does, and she just transferred stores. She just likes to vent to her mom!

At the store we both worked at, I used to close back in 2008-2011 or so. If the store closed at 10pm your shift would say 10:15pm but it was really code for “stay for how long it takes”. Sometimes even as late as 1am.

My daughter started working at the same Target in 2019 and by then they had changed. If the store closed at 10pm, some TMs left at 10pm but some were scheduled until 11pm (the Closers). So you would work an hour after close. Get what you can done. But everyone off at 11pm. Personally, I find this the most fair. The burden shouldn’t be left on closers where everyone else on the dayside gets to leave as scheduled.

Daughter just transferred to a store closer to college. She gave them her availability of 4pm-11pm (she has classes and an internship during the day). And it appears their store is “stay until it’s done” type. Last night was 1:45am and she’s heard it’s been as late as 3am- for a store that closes at 10pm.

That seems ridiculous… up to 5 hours of closing duties???

Yet she says this store’s management is a lot nicer than the management team from our old store.

So it must be something about a store’s culture. At least that’s what I’m wondering.

Honestly I just thought that all of Target corporate just got smart from the time I stopped closing in 2011 and my daughter started in 2019. I didn’t think anyone stayed so late anymore.

Does your store schedule closing for multiple hours after the end of the shift?

We close at 10 and everybody leaves then except for the Closing Lead and a few front end folks. Never been asked to stay, it's not a thing at my store.

My closing philosophy is that if you can’t get it done in a hour after close, someone wrote the schedule poorly. When I close we leave on time. I have peers that will stay 2 or 3 hours, but they aren’t allowed to pressure people into staying with them (it was a thing. There was an argument. We didn’t schedule people with them for awhile and they folded.)

There would be far too litlle work to do to stay hours past close if morning and mid did their share so there was no buildup.
Morning and mid push truck. That's pretty much it. Some zoning, which doesn't last because I swear guests are messier than ever. Zero fucks given.

It is a rare day that the night crew doesn't come in to a crappy-looking store and piles of reshop. We do the best we can to recover, but no way two people can do it all. We could easily stay a couple of hours past closing, but screw that, don't give them any ideas lol.

See it is a vicious cycle. If closing TM's zoned and did reshop then the morning team could get right to work. But no we have to zone, reshop then we can think about pushing and doing 1for1's.
Lol. Closing duties for a 4-6 hour shift round here: are 1:1 s to 0 by closing, zone. That's. It. They will NOT do reshop or finish any leftover push. They will NOT push from a night truck. Lil lazy suckers on closing team are now dumping their 1:1 s into reshop or mixing it into left over push. Or tossing it in somewhere s near the actual location. So yah....openers and mids...on top of 200-250 boxes of push , double that with a night before that morning truck also, 1:1 s, constant zoning, back up front end, gs in our department...we ALSO start our shift doing those Closers; unfinished duties. Sucks to be us.

My store has us off schedule at 10p. I've asked them to schedule us till 10:15p since they let guests into the store until 958p and expecting us to stay after... it's okay cause we get paid but don't tell me I'm off at 10 when like last night I'm leaving my register at 10:10p. punching out at 10:12p. I was told what if there's no one in the store and I'm getting paid till 10:15p. My response is, I would be picking up and sorting and putting go backs out and folding etc. But if the lead feels the store is in descent condition.. (there is a morning crew that starts a half hour to opening to organize.), we can punch out at 10p or10:05p whatever it is. But being there till the hours you're mentioning is ridiculous. We didn't even do that during the holidays.

We close at 10 and everybody leaves then except for the Closing Lead and a few front end folks. Never been asked to stay, it's not a thing at my store.
I'm wondering what time your doors on your store close for incoming guests? Whenever I suggest something the robots above me say, " Corporate won't allow it." I'll suggest things like, can we NOT have guests coming it 3 minutes before the store closes cause it's me that ends up on the register after my off time of 10P .. I get paid for those few minutes after but I don't want to be there after 10p.. I've been at the register as late as 10:20 because we have to make sure everyone gets their purchases per 'corporate'.. If I'm off, I want to be off... I've suggested they schedule me till 10:15p and if the store has no guests I'll stay and fold, organize sort put go backs, back etc. or punch out early.

Doors close at 10 and we ask the cashiers to stay until the store is clear. They don’t have a problem bc it’s only 5-10 minutes max. Usually one cashier will offer to stay and the others leave. If it’s getting super long (rare), the closing GSA will finish ringing out and let the cashier go.

I'm wondering what time your doors on your store close for incoming guests? Whenever I suggest something the robots above me say, " Corporate won't allow it." I'll suggest things like, can we NOT have guests coming it 3 minutes before the store closes cause it's me that ends up on the register after my off time of 10P .. I get paid for those few minutes after but I don't want to be there after 10p.. I've been at the register as late as 10:20 because we have to make sure everyone gets their purchases per 'corporate'.. If I'm off, I want to be off... I've suggested they schedule me till 10:15p and if the store has no guests I'll stay and fold, organize sort put go backs, back etc. or punch out early.
If you know you will likely stay to 10:15 because it happens every single night, then whats the big deal if it shows on the paper? You know what the truth really is.

we typically scheduled one 1015 and one 1030
that's awesome... I've suggested it but it falls on deaf ears... we had 3 registers last night off at 10p (me + selfcheck out person after selfcheck out was closed + 1 other) and we're all off at 10p with leads and ETL standing around watching us and they're all off later. I'm so over it.

Back