How much trouble would I be in for deliberately making noise on the walkie?

I've reached my breaking point with this place. I've only been a TL for a couple of months, but I'm already dealing with TM's who talk shit about me behind my back, a backroom overflowing with freight, and ETL's who don't support any type of actual leadership decisions that I try to make. I've started looking for a new job and I've already decided that I'm not going to bother with two weeks notice. I've also decided to get my kicks in however possible.

I've spent the last week or so constantly holding down the walkie button and scratching my fingers against the speaker. It obviously creates this annoying static noise on the walkies and it's been driving everyone crazy at my store. It started with a whole bunch of people on the walkie saying "Team, there's someone leaning on their walkie!" but I would keep scratching and now everyone is pissed off. I'll especially revel in making the scratching noises when some of my least favorite TM's are talking so as to cut them off. It even reached a point where our SD went on the walkie and said that whoever was caught doing it was going to be in BIG trouble. I haven't been caught and I've kept doing it whenever possible, but the past couple of days have lead to some action taken by management.

The rumor going around now is that the SD has ordered one of our AP team members to surveil our cameras constantly and keep an eye on any TM's who look like they're messing with their walkie in anyway. But what's even worse is that the AP ETL pulled me into his office yesterday. He told me that he's been keeping tabs on the days that the scratching occurs and he's made a list of TM's whom have the day off whenever there's no scratching. He didn't officially accuse me of being the scratcher, but he just pointed out that I'm on his list.

So now they obviously suspect me and I took drastic actions today. Today is my day off and I knew that it would look bad for me if there was no scratching when I'm not there. I texted one of my friends on GM (we're close friends who party together and hang out outside of work) and told her to create some scratching noises on her walkie to throw AP off my trail. I shouldn't have done that because I ended up outing myself to this TM. I made her promise not to tell anyone and she seemed hesitant. I promised her that I would buy her a six pack from Crumbl Cookies if she helped me out here (she LOVES Crumbl Cookies) and she said "I'll think about it." So now I'm doing everything that I can to cover my tracks and I'm worried that management is on to me. Realistically, how much trouble can I get for making these noises on the walkie?

I've reached my breaking point with this place. I've only been a TL for a couple of months, but I'm already dealing with TM's who talk shit about me behind my back, a backroom overflowing with freight, and ETL's who don't support any type of actual leadership decisions that I try to make. I've started looking for a new job and I've already decided that I'm not going to bother with two weeks notice. I've also decided to get my kicks in however possible.

I've spent the last week or so constantly holding down the walkie button and scratching my fingers against the speaker. It obviously creates this annoying static noise on the walkies and it's been driving everyone crazy at my store. It started with a whole bunch of people on the walkie saying "Team, there's someone leaning on their walkie!" but I would keep scratching and now everyone is pissed off. I'll especially revel in making the scratching noises when some of my least favorite TM's are talking so as to cut them off. It even reached a point where our SD went on the walkie and said that whoever was caught doing it was going to be in BIG trouble. I haven't been caught and I've kept doing it whenever possible, but the past couple of days have lead to some action taken by management.

The rumor going around now is that the SD has ordered one of our AP team members to surveil our cameras constantly and keep an eye on any TM's who look like they're messing with their walkie in anyway. But what's even worse is that the AP ETL pulled me into his office yesterday. He told me that he's been keeping tabs on the days that the scratching occurs and he's made a list of TM's whom have the day off whenever there's no scratching. He didn't officially accuse me of being the scratcher, but he just pointed out that I'm on his list.

So now they obviously suspect me and I took drastic actions today. Today is my day off and I knew that it would look bad for me if there was no scratching when I'm not there. I texted one of my friends on GM (we're close friends who party together and hang out outside of work) and told her to create some scratching noises on her walkie to throw AP off my trail. I shouldn't have done that because I ended up outing myself to this TM. I made her promise not to tell anyone and she seemed hesitant. I promised her that I would buy her a six pack from Crumbl Cookies if she helped me out here (she LOVES Crumbl Cookies) and she said "I'll think about it." So now I'm doing everything that I can to cover my tracks and I'm worried that management is on to me. Realistically, how much trouble can I get for making these noises on the walkie?
So, for fun I will answer like I don't know this is trolling:

I think you just don't know how to be happy. You seem like you are sabotaging yourself. Find inner peace dude. Life is not perfect. Find the good in your situation instead of focusing on the bad, and stop getting in the way of your own happiness.

People are not going to act the way you want - you can't control that, but you can control your reactions. Don't throw your dream job away because of dumb shit. Go in, do your best, go home. Make your money and enjoy your off time.

Who cares if they are on to you? You plan on quitting without 2 weeks notice.

Why else would the AP tell you that they are investigating unless it was to give you a heads up since they suspected you. Technically the AP could get in trouble for giving you confidential information.

I don't know if you'd get fired, but you for sure would go on corrective action for making the noises and so would your friend.

If all that you say is true, I can't believe that you will be happy at any job. All jobs have issues and problems, most people I see leave Target for a different retail job want to come back or end up coming back. The grass isn't always greener.

I think it will be really hard for them to see on camera who is scratching their walkie, if you are doing it right.

The problems you are dealing with are issues everyone at every store has dealt with at one point or another if they are there long enough. My advice to you is, if you are happy with your pay etc, just treat it as a job. Do your best when you are there and forget about it when you leave. Do what your bosses tell you to do, they are the ones who control your raise and are taking directions from the top. Target pays you to do things their way, don't try to reinvent the wheel, just do what's asked.

i thought ap was your friend? i think you got reported or seen by another tl/tm when you were playing with your walkie.

There are so many holes in this story, but the biggest one is that you say you don't care about working at Target anymore and are going to quit, but you're also concerned about getting in trouble? How does that make any sense at all?
I want to go out on my own terms when I actually have a new job lined up.

I can’t get fired without a new job. Not only is it dumb financially, but it’d be embarrassing. Quitting and cussing out an ETL is a hell of a better story than being fired.

I can’t get fired without a new job. Not only is it dumb financially, but it’d be embarrassing. Quitting and cussing out an ETL is a hell of a better story than being fired.
I don't think you know the meaning of embarrassing if you plan on cussing out your ETL. I think it's much less embarrassing to go out as the bigger person. Give your feedback and your reasons for quitting during your exit interview after giving your 2 weeks.

If you word everything properly, your ETL is the one who is embarrassed. Trust me the ETL will have the last laugh after you cuss them out.

Dude if you really are as worried about things as you say you are, coming on here constantly asking questions about this and that, the best advice anyone can give you is this:

STOP DOING DUMB SHIT.

Especially now that you claim to be a leader. You are your own worst enemy bruh. Seriously, stop and think about things before you do them. You are sabotaging yourself over things are that are not that serious. And you are not willing to take any advice or see things from another side. I don't understand why you keep coming on here asking questions when you are not at all interested in the answers.

I don't think you know the meaning of embarrassing if you plan on cussing out your ETL. I think it's much less embarrassing to go out as the bigger person. Give your feedback and your reasons for quitting during your exit interview after giving your 2 weeks.

If you word everything properly, your ETL is the one who is embarrassed. Trust me the ETL will have the last laugh after you cuss them out.
I’m not putting in my notice. These ETL’s have completely denied my shots at being an actual leader. Sure, I got the promotion, but they don’t let me say or do anything to make me stand out from other leaders at the store. You don’t even know the half of it.

I’m not putting in my notice. These ETL’s have completely denied my shots at being an actual leader. Sure, I got the promotion, but they don’t let me say or do anything to make me stand out from other leaders at the store. You don’t even know the half of it.
You did throw your zebra at an etl. Partying with several tm & tl’s… eating donuts in tsc.

Then enlighten us.

Leads don't have any real power. They are sometimes not much more than glorified TMs. ETLs will often use them to do the dirty work so they can keep their hands clean and not be seen as the bad guy. I'm surprised you didn't know this.

Your job is basically to delegate your workload to the team and follow up. That's it.... You aren't supposed to really do much else. If you want to stand out then you should get ahead on your workload, manage a productive team and handle guest issues without escalation or complaints.

Most importantly, make sure the team likes and trusts you. The teams opinion of you goes a long way with the SD and district leadership. It has taken me a long way in all my years with target.

Then enlighten us.

Leads don't have any real power. They are sometimes not much more than glorified TMs. ETLs will often use them to do the dirty work so they can keep their hands clean and not be seen as the bad guy. I'm surprised you didn't know this.
I’ll gladly enlighten you.

My style of leadership involves me taking ownership of wherever I am. Whenever it’s my turn to come in early and run the inbound process, I’ll refer to the line as “my line”. I’ll refer to the sales floor as “my sales floor.”

When it’s time to start the unload, I’ll get on the walkie and say something like “Inbound team, my truck is here and parked in my docks. I need all of you on my line to unload my freight and get it all pushed on to my sales floor.”

Whenever it’s my turn to be the closing leader, I’ll get on the walkie right before closing and say “Team, I need all of you to check my aisles and let me know how many guests are left in my store.”

My ETL and SD have both informed me that my team doesn’t like when I’m possessive and use the word “my” when referring to things and they’ve both told me to stop it. I’m not allowed to make my own choices here. You see what I’m getting at?

No kidding. The op other thread said they were a GM tl.
At my store GM helps out with the inbound process, on days the GM/Inbound TL is off.
I’ll gladly enlighten you.

My style of leadership involves me taking ownership of wherever I am. Whenever it’s my turn to come in early and run the inbound process, I’ll refer to the line as “my line”. I’ll refer to the sales floor as “my sales floor.”

When it’s time to start the unload, I’ll get on the walkie and say something like “Inbound team, my truck is here and parked in my docks. I need all of you on my line to unload my freight and get it all pushed on to my sales floor.”

Whenever it’s my turn to be the closing leader, I’ll get on the walkie right before closing and say “Team, I need all of you to check my aisles and let me know how many guests are left in my store.”

My ETL and SD have both informed me that my team doesn’t like when I’m possessive and use the word “my” when referring to things and they’ve both told me to stop it. I’m not allowed to make my own choices here. You see what I’m getting at?
There is no way you use the possessive wording, that is the most arrogant thing I've ever heard. I've always thought that some of your posts were believable, until now.

If some how this is true, you need to stop acting this way. You need the team to be on your side, it isn't your anything, it's Targets. You can still take ownership without being such a douche.

At my store GM helps out with the inbound process, on days the GM/Inbound TL is off.

There is no way you use the possessive wording, that is the most arrogant thing I've ever heard. I've always thought that some of your posts were believable, until now.

If some how this is true, you need to stop acting this way. You need the team to be on your side, it isn't your anything, it's Targets. You can still take ownership without being such a douche.
Well if I’m the closing lead, then that makes me the lead in charge of the store. It’s my store for the night.

When I’m the only TL in the building at any given time, then it’s my store and my process of running things.

Back