I'm Lost! How Screwed am i?

StargazerOmega

Jack of All Trades - Front End
So, I accidentally took a mag key and walkie home with me. How screwed am I If I bring them back in the morning?

Depends on how strict your equipment control is....

Key is noticeable especially if it's for electronics.
It's not specifically for Electronics. In fact there are no actual keys to anything, just the magnet. Planning on going in ASAP to return them though.

If you are not opening, get to your store about 15 minutes before it opens and hand the key off to a TL or ETL. Tell them it was an accident and you wanted to get them back ASAP. If you can't do that, call before store opening and tell the opening TL/ETL what happened and when you will be in with them. If you just return them without fessing up it could look kind of shady.

I'm sure a lot of people have accidentally taken stuff home before. The important thing is always returning it. Someone I know took the GSTL keys home and they were gone for a couple of days. The other day I forgot to unclip a walkie and didn't realize until I was almost home that it was still attached. Returned without a fuss! I'm glad your TL was good about it :)

If you are not opening, get to your store about 15 minutes before it opens and hand the key off to a TL or ETL. Tell them it was an accident and you wanted to get them back ASAP. If you can't do that, call before store opening and tell the opening TL/ETL what happened and when you will be in with them. If you just return them without fessing up it could look kind of shady.
No. Just put the magnet back quietly. No one will know.

Keys being taken home were the reason I had my own personal keys made for the cart pusher.

People used to take keys home at least 1-2 times a week at my store. I know because part of my closing duties was to check for any keys missing when locking up the lockbox. I don't believe anyone ever got in trouble for it.

I did it a few times. Response from HR TM @ TSC was: thanks for bringing it back. Ended right there. I never had any important keys though and two times I brought them back after my shift. Only lived a few miles from the Store on Neptune.

Hasn't everyone taken a walkie home at some point?
I did, just recently, for the first time and I've been a TM for over 5 years. Didn't realize it was still attached to my pants pocket until I was almost home. Took it back when I went for my next shift, no biggie.

You'll be more screwed if you DON'T bring them back.

Don't sweat it, just return them and be quiet about it.
100% this if you bring them back immediately the first chance you get and don't say sorry just return them. You'll be fine. I've taken equipment keys home 10+ times in the 4 years I've been here. I never get in trouble I just bring them back asap.

Back