1. The Break Room is NOT an official service of Target Corp.
    This is a site run by regular people who are off the clock.
    We do not perform any HR related services, or affect any internal information regarding Target.
    Dismiss Notice

How to ask someone out

Discussion in 'Off The Clock Chatter' started by unknown, Dec 18, 2016.

1. unknown

unknown Team Trainer

There's a guy at work I think is nice. Rather attractive. We chat once in a while. He's backroom. I'm signing. How do I ask him out.

The issue is ... I can't tell if he's gay.

I've asked around subtlety if he has a gf, but everyone says he never talks about it.

Do I just act courageously and ask him to go out?

2. Target NPC

Target NPC Hecking stAp!

Here are some ideas.

Testing the waters:

"Do you have a girl friend?"
    "Are you dating anyone right now?"​

Ideas for initiating an actual date:

"Wanna go see Rogue One and get something to eat?"
    "Wanna go (insert common interest)?"
    "Wanna go get a drink after work?"
    "Wanna go get food?"​

More straight forward options:

"I'd like to get to know you more outside of stupid Target. Would you like to go on a date?" (plan accordingly based on answer)​

Lastly, I'd like to add, that asking someone out isn't a big deal. If you fear he will go and tell it all to your fellow coworkers and shame your interest in him....then that means he was an asshole all along and you get to shame him back for that. Chances are, he's a nice guy, and he's either going to say yes, or explain no for whatever the reason.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    HardlinesFour and Leo47 like this.
  3. carramrod

carramrod Store Detective

I always tried to do it kinda casual if I was getting good vibes off the person. If it was someone I work with, I always would say something like "hey we should hang out outside of work so I don't always have to be back here distracting you while you're working", something like that. Honestly don't hype yourself up and make a big deal out of it, just be cool and it'll work out way better. Good luck

Leo47 and LaTarjetaRoja like this.
  4. Nokiddiegloves

Nokiddiegloves Yes. My hair is actually red.

I recommend getting to know said person first by conversation. That way you can set it up for the initial question.

Pelon1071, HRZone and Hardlinesmaster like this.
  5. Redzee

Redzee Team Leader

Dating someone from work can have serious repercussions if it doesn't work out. Think it through.

6. PassinTime

PassinTime Guest

If you know any of his interests, plan an outing around that. Just ask if he'd like to (insert his interest here)
    Don't sweat it. Either he says yes and you've got a date; or he declines and you are right where you are now.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Hardlinesmaster likes this.
  7. SomeBodysSlave

SomeBodysSlave Team Leader

Hes in retail -- he works for Spot -- is he overly neat - very clean shaven every day - neatly trimmed beard -- ?

Better than 51 % chance to start with ?

If that makes any difference to you ?

Let flaming commence [​IMG]

qmosqueen likes this.
  8. LaTarjetaRoja

LaTarjetaRoja New Team Member

The first thing you gotta do is grunt at him. That's how you get their attention. Then walk manually over to the guy, point at his chest, and say "you." Then point at your chest, and say "me." Then shrug your shoulders and say "Dinnerrrrrr?" During the last bit, open your eyes really wide for maximum effect. Bam! You just punched your ticket for a one-way trip to Pound Town.

9. Target NPC

Target NPC Hecking stAp!

Then puff out your chest and fan your feathers to show you're a suitable mate.

Pelon1071, HRZone, SnorlaxTM and 3 others like this.
  10. phibot

phibot The Lord of the Things

Just walk up to him and press A.

BackroomAlpha, Target NPC and soyaxo like this.
  11. Kaitii

Kaitii You're gushing all kinds of fluids again

If someone asked me out like this I would legitimately be interested in them

Pelon1071 likes this.
  12. buliSBI

buliSBI Former Team Member

Don't date the store. Drama can only be the result.

qmosqueen and Yetive like this.
  13. SomeBodysSlave

SomeBodysSlave Team Leader

My store was a regular Peyton Place --

qmosqueen likes this.
  14. Yetive

Yetive Servant of 2 Masters

LOL, that's before even my time.

qmosqueen likes this.
  15. Kartman

Kartman Gimme Moar Ours!

Just say "Hey, did you know I'm not gay?"

"How about you?"

16. smashandthrash

smashandthrash The Baddest RC Driver in The West

Don't and save yourself the heartbreak.

Or do.

Be yourself, that's all I can tell ya

PassinTime likes this.
  17. carramrod

carramrod Store Detective

I won't say not to date someone from work unless of course they're AP or a TL, just because you can get in trouble for that. Honestly there's always a potential for there to be big problems with a work relationship, especially after a breakup, but it can go either way. I've dated a lot of people that I worked with at one point or another (maybe I'm weird and I don't get out enough). One ended really bad but luckily I was well liked in the store and nobody listened when she tried to spread rumors about me. On the opposite front, I met my now fiancé at work, and that has worked out pretty well so far. You never know where it might go.

18. oath2order

oath2order Sexy Bond Girl

"hey you wanna fuck"

BackroomAlpha and qmosqueen like this.
  19. TheLurkerBelow

TheLurkerBelow Team Trainer

Just put some feeler questions out there to find out if he has a girlfriend,etc.

Then just ask him if he wants to grab drinks sometime/after work,etc. Pretty easy.

20. HardlinesFour

HardlinesFour Super Ninja & Site Mod. Moderator

This isn't Grindr :p

BackroomAlpha and Pelon1071 like this.