Archived How to deal with call outs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone's store do "attendance raffles?" Our does for the holidays, and it's for the whole store rather than one department. Personally, I'm not a fan, but it's something worth considering.

This. But in my store at least, those changes are almost always denied.
I'm guessing most of the reasoning is the time asking to be "unavailable" is the weekends or during shifts they almost rarely have coverage for. I have seen this during my time at Spot.

Too bad they are confidential. We had a team lead put on a final for leaving one out lol
It really is too bad. Then again, team members could also use them as a defense as to counter arguing there TL as I'm sure some of you all have WAY better attendance for some of the actual TL's as THEY TOO are also on those reports as well. :p:rolleyes:

I'm sure some of you all have WAY better attendance for some of the actual TL's as THEY TOO are also on those reports as well. :p:rolleyes:

Haha, so true!

A lot of the them are late, have tons of missed punches, etc. The SrTLs are the worst offenders at my store.

Last edited:
Reactions: Him
You can set the expectation for attendance. If some etls don’t care, well that’s on them but it’s your work center, your results at the end of the day. Start having these conversations and team members will talk and either improve, quit, or be fired. I don’t believe in the “they are great workers but just don’t show up.” That’s inconsistency in their performance and they need to know that.
Yeah my etl is my TM’s enabler. I have to wean them off of each other. He is too involved in my work center and has let TMs run a muck . Its a fcking nightmare.

Correct. It's hard getting rid of team members. That's why although there are exceptions, I feel like people just get themselves fired. It's a ton of work.
Give anyone enough "Rope" and they will "Hang" themselves. It definitely takes partnership with the ENTIRE leadership team. I can't stress enough how leadership can come off as (That TL/ETL riding my ass) and honestly it's just a leader upholding accountability or best practice.

Does anyone's store do "attendance raffles?" Our does for the holidays, and it's for the whole store rather than one department. Personally, I'm not a fan, but it's something worth considering.
We have done "Attendance Survivor." If you call out or are late you're off the island. If you make it through you get a baked good from the STLs wife usually.

Start off with the conversation of "is everything okay, I noticed you were late or call out" offer to help that TL or TM to get over hurdle that is making them late. If they keep a good track record reward them or at least attempt to try to do better. Then do coaching if no resolution.

Sometimes I wish i could rewire some of these TMs brains. They are Comatose. The words hard work and pride doesn’t exist in their vocabulary. I lead a work center that is a “ specialty” and training new TMs takes alot of time. It might be time well spent though. Today two of my TMs called out ,Two! I wasn’t able to complete some of my tasks because of it.
Make sure you tell them that you were not able to complete all the tasks you needed to, as they were absent. I had to speak to someone today about her inconsistent attendance and that we would not keep her after the holiday's if it did not improve. If they are a seasonal hire or permanent hire not at their 90 days they need to know that their attendance record will be considered when deciding if you are going keep them or not. You might also have your HR print you out a copy of their attendance record to show them during this conversation.

Make sure you tell them that you were not able to complete all the tasks you needed to, as they were absent. I had to speak to someone today about her inconsistent attendance and that we would not keep her after the holiday's if it did not improve. If they are a seasonal hire or permanent hire not at their 90 days they need to know that their attendance record will be considered when deciding if you are going keep them or not. You might also have your HR print you out a copy of their attendance record to show them during this conversation.
I have actually started doing pdds, and have gotten mixed reactions. The TMs know they are on notice and their actions/attendance will be scrutinized diligently.

My store has a thing up where everyone who is on-time, in compliance for breaks, and doesn't call out gets entered for raffle. Not sure what the prize is, but the whole thing is a little squicky, to me.

But then we had both electronics closers call out on Friday, which put us all in a bind. Hell, they even gave me keys for half hour, out of sheer desperation.

We have one of those up in our TSC as well. "Will you be the last TM standing?" Ugh. (that said, it'll be easy for me to stay on the board with only one shift a week until Christmas....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back