I'm Lost! How to even approach fixing the fixture room

mizl

Beauty TM
Our fixture room isn't nearly as bad as some of the pics I've seen but it could still be a lot better. TLs have done overnights in the past to fix it and I think their focus is more like... putting like things together and finding shelf space for stuff. Is there a way to actually audit fixtures and see if there's stuff we don't need? Like if stuff is majorly old/not in use anymore or we have way too much of it? In a perfect world there'd be some kind of Greenfield report for current/upcoming POGs that lists all the fixtures we need... in a REALLY perfect world we could actually "backstock" fixtures to at least shelf locations and when we tie a POG it adds the fixtures to the pull list... imagine having an actual inventory of fixtures, knowing what we have and what we need... that sounds too smart.

edit: ooh, I just saw there's more info on workbench about the fixture room refresh for 2020. I will have to investigate when I'm in. I'm guessing it's not gonna be as useful as I want it to be.

Last edited:
I typically approach any room from the main entrance, generally a door. I have had some luck approaching rooms from windows/ceilings, but those historically have been destructive methods.
Our fixture room is only approachable from a door way. There seems to be*“chicken wire/mesh fencing ” that separates it from the backroom in one 8 foot section. I presume if we weren’t able to approach the fixture room from the doorway. The mesh fencing can be cut to allow access, however that would *be a destructive approach.
I have seen rooms approached via tunnels that are dug, but only in movies, and again this method was largely destructive.
Although, I have seen instances where a room was successfully approached through a sewer system. This was also in a movie, so ,Not sure if that applies to you.
To be safe, I’d just approach the fixture room from the door, or have someone physically show you how its done.

Last edited:
The keep/toss list for the refresh is a joke. It only really calls for extra lockboxes to be recycled. Everything else it says to keep.

Way back in the day, fixtures were located in the fixture room (same with ISM). It was a waste of time and everyone stopped. Since it is damn near impossible for everyone to put any fixture away in the proper place as it is, imagine trying to pull fixtures backstocked in a handful of locations instead one. And how would you know if you have the right fixture if they don't all have a barcode on them? No one is going to sticker every fixture. Saves a lot of time just going in and grabbing what you need.

If you really want to know what is needed to keep, ask a former Plano TM. They've used all the fixtures in there and if they've been there awhile, they'll know exactly what can be tossed or how much to keep. It can depend on the time of year as to what looks like excess fixtures. For example, right now thru Feb, most stores will have next-to-no 4ft shelves stored on the wall because they will all be in use. But come spring, there will be so many shelves the wall will be at max capacity and there may be pallets of them stored too. Or peghooks. All of my 12" pegs are in use in Seasonal but when we reset, both my grey bins will be full again. 16" scanning peghooks (backpack peghooks) come to mind as well, overabundance all year except during Halloween.

There have been fixture shortages a lot in the past year. I'd hate to toss something and realize you need it badly and not be able to get any in.

Order lots of grey bins for sorting and a few rolling trash cans.

Things to keep:
Shelves, Pegs, Dividers, Fencing and Pushers are all first level items. Make sure you have label holders for every type and keep all sizes and styles of dividers. Use trash cans for pegs.

Signing is secondary, simplify between 36" and 48". You'll need a lot of 36", but less of 48".

Cosmetic stuff can be simplified. Rule of 3. Keep 3 of anything, toss the rest.

Specialty brackets and fixtures. If you sort these to department use, you'll only need two sections. Domestics uses brackets for bedding and hanging stuff. Both take up a lot of space. You might want to requisition some blue sterlites for that. I don't know if they still send Magna bar stuff, but it's useful for outdoor living. Keep it all.

If you organize your room for DBO use, put your signing and endcap stuff near the front and specialty stuff near the rear. Put lesser used shelving high. I don't hang shelving below chest level though. Anything lower becomes a dumping ground.

I typically approach any room from the main entrance, generally a door. I have had some luck approaching rooms from windows/ceilings, but those historically have been destructive methods.
Our fixture room is only approachable from a door way. There seems to be*“chicken wire/mesh fencing ” that separates it from the backroom in one 8 foot section. I presume if we weren’t able to approach the fixture room from the doorway. The mesh fencing can be cut to allow access, however that would *be a destructive approach.
I have seen rooms approached via tunnels that are dug, but only in movies, and again this method was largely destructive.
Although, I have seen instances where a room was successfully approached through a sewer system. This was also in a movie, so ,Not sure if that applies to you.
To be safe, I’d just approach the fixture room from the door, or have someone physically show you how its done.
You missed several methods of approach. Air ducts most importantly. Also transformational methods, such as (but not limited to) shrinking (access through cracks or riding on a host), phasing, becoming a gas, becoming electricity (access through electrical outlets), teleportation (telekinesis or technological), and establishing a psychic link with a person already inside

You missed several methods of approach. Air ducts most importantly. Also transformational methods, such as (but not limited to) shrinking (access through cracks or riding on a host), phasing, becoming a gas, becoming electricity (access through electrical outlets), teleportation (telekinesis or technological), and establishing a psychic link with a person already inside
touche.

1. Order dump truck.
2. Order construction dumpster.
3. Throw metal only items in dump truck. Throw non-metal or mixed metal in construction dumpster.
4. Call for pickup of construction dumpster. Drive dump truck to metal recycling business, sell the metal, and use the funds for pizza delivery for anyone that helped load.
5. Sweep and dust empty fixture room.

Back