How to Get Noticed to Be Team Lead

I've been working with Target for 1 1/2 years, and I have an interest in becoming a team lead and moving up with the company. My team lead knows of this already and has worked with me a bit. I noticed a sign last week saying if you're interested in becoming a TL, speak with HR. I did and I have something set up Friday to with the HR ETL and the SD. My ETL told me today about how I'm not on the pipeline for this as I have no ETLs to advocate for my work. Now, I have open availability and get scheduled to close 95% of the time (even after constantly asking for some morning shifts). We have a TL that closes but she isn't an ETL and can't vouche for me. I'm a good worker and have been recognized for it but essentially I have to get noticed. I feel like that's easier to do with day shifts, so how can I accomplish this with closing shifts??

You shouldn't need an ETL to explicitly vouch for your work. You're either capable or you're not. Right now they feel you're not.
Ask them how to prove you can bring the leadership needed to the table.

You're going to get a bunch of answers with a bunch of target lingo and telling you to do things like drive sales or improve process. That's all well and good but it has nothing to do leadership. They might get you promoted at Target but they're not going to do you any favors down the road. If you want to be a team leader, learn how to lead a team. You do that by watching and learning from other great leaders. Leaders dont bring results by being idea people. They do it by taking great ideas and implementing them through a team, and those ideas often come from that team.

Great leaders always bring results, but results aren't always due to great leaders. Teams managed by strong leaders always have three things in common.

- they're cohesive (visually, they smile and talk)
- they have low turnover
- they're productive, the leader is ever present but never knee deep in the actual work.

Find that team and watch that leader.

Back