How to get the training you've been waiting six months for.

So, I have an issue and I don't know how to go about handling it. You all have been great at helping me before so here it goes. I've been in IB for a combined sixteen months over two stints in the department. I am the most tenured IB TM on my key. I have been asking my OMs for RC processor training for around six months. They kept putting it off since I was a trainer which I got, but with the hiring freeze, I figured I would ask again since we won't be getting new hires for a while. My OM told me that they couldn't commit because I may get pulled out of the department to ICQA or depal. They did ask me to give them a month to figure it out. Mind you this same OM apologized to me a few weeks prior because they said they knew I wanted the training but they kept putting other people ahead of me. I am at my wits end. Any advice will do.

No good answer to that one. The only thing you can do is ask to speak with your SOM or maybe the Training OM and see if they can help leverage anything.

No good answer to that one. The only thing you can do is ask to speak with your SOM or maybe the Training OM and see if they can help leverage anything.
My SOM will be the last option due to their arrogant attitude. Do you think PC would be of any help?

My SOM will be the last option due to their arrogant attitude. Do you think PC would be of any help?
I think it would depend largely on their relationship with you as well as your OM. If they know you and you arent some random person begging them and the OM respects the PC then it might.

You’re talking about driving in ART, right? Your DC has actual training for that? We just throw people there and see how they do.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Easily my least favorite function in IB.

OM's don't report to the PC. So there's very little guarantee that they will do anything.

I would just be patient. There's some big changes coming to the training world that you should be hearing about fairly soon.

You’re talking about driving in ART, right? Your DC has actual training for that? We just throw people there and see how they do.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Easily my least favorite function in IB.
Training is done in the sense of just having someone mentor the new driver. I know the role because I went through all the job breakdowns when I started training. I've also covered (in the modified manual) when the drivers needed to take a break. I drove in ART for a half hour at the end of my shift on Monday and I had no issues. I just want the consistency

OM's don't report to the PC. So there's very little guarantee that they will do anything.

I would just be patient. There's some big changes coming to the training world that you should be hearing about fairly soon.
Yeah, I just have a better relationship with the PC than I do my SOM (we butted heads when I was learning line loading in depal and they are just so arrogant its off-putting)

So they are changing the model again. The one they just rolled out last summer works well. The only thing I want is for the trainer needs to be able to do all functions in the department

I would be patient. If you are a good tm, they will get you the opportunity when they are able to. I wouldn’t expect anything until January.

Going above your om to get something you want isn’t a good look. At the end of the day it’s the om’s discretion, but like I said if you are a tm in good standing, I don’t see them not training you intentionally.

Anything you could tell us about? Im a trainer who’s a little frustrated with the training process as it sits now.

Anything you could tell us about? Im a trainer who’s a little frustrated with the training process as it sits now.
Sorry its confidential and I don't want to reveal too much. But its a big change.

You should find out by 1/8. Any OM's will find out by 12/21. Seniors and above already have the info.

Hal confirmed either Training OM or Senior level or above 😁

I would be patient. If you are a good tm, they will get you the opportunity when they are able to. I wouldn’t expect anything until January.

Going above your om to get something you want isn’t a good look. At the end of the day it’s the om’s discretion, but like I said if you are a tm in good standing, I don’t see them not training you intentionally.
I agree, I won't be going above my OM. I think I'm frustrated because they apologized to me about skipping me over since I had expressed interest and then they continue to do so.

Sorry its confidential and I don't want to reveal too much. But its a big change.

You should find out by 1/8. Any OM's will find out by 12/21. Seniors and above already have the info.
Appreciate and respect to you Hal. I think its ironic because my OM told me to give them four weeks to work out my request and that day is the exact time of four weeks.

That’s fair. I appreciate the time frame. We don’t even have an OM as both of ours quit on us over a few weeks.

Can someone proficient in the job you want to learn train? Or does it have to be an officially trained ‘trainer”
‘I started a new position as a back up, got trained last week, she’s on vacation the next two, nobody wants to train me. Is it because of targets
policies or they just don’t want to be held accountable?

Can someone proficient in the job you want to learn train? Or does it have to be an officially trained ‘trainer”
I’ve trained people on a lot of stuff and have never been a “trainer”.
If someone else wanted to train you and the OM thinks they’ll do a good job, they could, as long as it’s not PIT training.
If nobody is interested in doing it, they won’t usually force them to.

‘I started a new position as a back up, got trained last week, she’s on vacation the next two, nobody wants to train me. Is it because of targets
policies or they just don’t want to be held accountable?

Yes. They call it mentoring. I've trained many. But... I've also had an OM tell others that I can't train them because I'm not a trainer but in reality they're just a lying POS that tells you they won't hold you back if you think you can advance but they are.

Yes. They call it mentoring. I've trained many. But... I've also had an OM tell others that I can't train them because I'm not a trainer but in reality they're just a lying POS that tells you they won't hold you back if you think you can advance but they are.
There’s a reason there’s an official trainer program. Those OMs are correct that only official trainers should be doing the training

I’ve trained people on a lot of stuff and have never been a “trainer”.
If someone else wanted to train you and the OM thinks they’ll do a good job, they could, as long as it’s not PIT training.
If nobody is interested in doing it, they won’t usually force them to.
OM shouldn’t have anyone train that isn’t an official trainer. PIT or not

The trainer does ESIM/ blood born pathogens test with teammate then they send them to damages for me to train. I’m not a fan, feel like i don’t have a choice

There’s a reason there’s an official trainer program. Those OMs are correct that only official trainers should be doing the training

🤣 But I trained the trainers! The official training program as it is now is garbage and I hope whatever @Hal is hinting at is going to fix that. If you can't hit numbers in a function how the fuck can you train someone else to? There's no playbook for that. It's not on the sharepoint. If you want someone to walk them in the door and tell them all the target bs and give them a little time on the machine and get comfortable cool. After that put them with someone who can actually do the job successfully instead of some dumbass who's just reciting a basic simplified job breakdown from a piece of paper but can't give any pointers so they can be productive and meet\exceed expectations.

🤣 But I trained the trainers! The official training program as it is now is garbage and I hope whatever @Hal is hinting at is going to fix that. If you can't hit numbers in a function how the fuck can you train someone else to? There's no playbook for that. It's not on the sharepoint. If you want someone to walk them in the door and tell them all the target bs and give them a little time on the machine and get comfortable cool. After that put them with someone who can actually do the job successfully instead of some dumbass who's just reciting a basic simplified job breakdown from a piece of paper but can't give any pointers so they can be productive and meet\exceed expectations.
Yup, that about sums it up right there.

That sounds like you just have trash trainers.

Back