Archived How to move up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't necessarily want to move up as an LOD or anything like that, as I have plans to attend grad school and don't want to stay with target long term, but does target hire HR team members internally, or so they look for external hires? Because I would be very interested in the HR position if it opened up in my store. What is the process like for that?

but does target hire HR team members internally, or so they look for external hires? Because I would be very interested in the HR position if it opened up in my store. What is the process like for that?

The challenge with getting into HR is there are so few positions available and it's not something you cross train into.

Some stores have the same person in the position 5 to 10 years and then when they quit they open the position and applicants fly in. When I was hired in 2016 I was one of 14 applicants for the position.

It all really depends on what the etl hr is looking for. At my current store she didn't want an internal hire because of the confidentiality required so she took me as a transfer over 4 internal applicants.

Some stores prefer an internal hire because they want to know what they are getting.

For you it comes down to what the current hrs plans are. If they intend to stay you are SOL, but you can start making an impression on the etl hr now. Also if you really want to get into HR you will probably have to be willing to transfer.

Target.com/careers will show you the number of open HR positions in your state and send you an alert when one opens up. I am in a big state and there are only 3 or 4 HR openings a month, some 200 miles away

Btw target HR pay sucks. I hope you aren't in it for the money. It's the same as flow

The challenge with getting into HR is there are so few positions available and it's not something you cross train into.

Some stores have the same person in the position 5 to 10 years and then when they quit they open the position and applicants fly in. When I was hired in 2016 I was one of 14 applicants for the position.

It all really depends on what the etl hr is looking for. At my current store she didn't want an internal hire because of the confidentiality required so she took me as a transfer over 4 internal applicants.

Some stores prefer an internal hire because they want to know what they are getting.

For you it comes down to what the current hrs plans are. If they intend to stay you are SOL, but you can start making an impression on the etl hr now. Also if you really want to get into HR you will probably have to be willing to transfer.

Target.com/careers will show you the number of open HR positions in your state and send you an alert when one opens up. I am in a big state and there are only 3 or 4 HR openings a month, some 200 miles away

Btw target HR pay sucks. I hope you aren't in it for the money. It's the same as flow
Nice post. I was curious about this too, not that I have a "HR-desire", just a curiosity. For those wishing to continue with a career in the field I've always heard and seen this position can be a very good entry-level slot to get your feet wet and learn the basics. I've seen some move from Target HR on to other companies. In many areas companies that are currently expanding nationwide such as Amazon are snatching up retail HR (and TL/ETL peeps) due to their real-world on the job training. Knock Target or retail all you want but depending on your performance it can be a nice stepping stone into a lucrative career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back