Archived How to use sick hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what all the accruals on the pay stub mean. Is the "sick remaining" all the sick hours I can use? Also, how do I use these hours after calling off? Also, I have available vacation hours, too and I am unsure of how those hours work.

Yes, sick remaining is all of your accrued sick time. You can only use sick time when you've been scheduled and you've had to call off. You're supposed to submit for sick pay (via mytime or the paper time off request) the day you return. On the paper time off request, fill in the date and time of the shift you missed and check off "sick hours". Give it to your HR. Your ETL doesn't need to sign it. Some HR may be more flexible with the deadline but it needs to be done before the end of the pay period.

Vacation hours can be requested in the similar way. You need to request it 19 days before the new schedule is posted. Fill out the form, check off vacation hours/personal hours, and give it to your ETL. Once it's been approved your ETL will give it to HR. Initially it'll be entered in as unpaid vacation (as a placeholder so that you're not scheduled). When HR process the paycheck, they'll change it to paid time off. You'll only get paid up to your weekly average. So if you average 40 hours and request 2 days off, you won't get any paid time if your ETL still scheduled you for five 8-hr shifts throughout the rest of the week.

This is how it works in my state. I'm not sure if it's different in other parts of the country. Definitely check in with your HR and/or call Team Member benefits.

I was wondering what all the accruals on the pay stub mean. Is the "sick remaining" all the sick hours I can use? Also, how do I use these hours after calling off? Also, I have available vacation hours, too and I am unsure of how those hours work.

The vacation, personal holiday, sick, and well-being accruals are hours that you have in your bank that you can use.

For sick time, you can only request it using the paper Time Off Request form. MyTime Self Service doesn't allow you to request sick time for some reason. You must submit this paper form to HR within 3 days of returning back to work. Example: If you called off on Monday and your next shift is Wednesday, you should have the form turned in by Saturday at the latest.

For vacation time, you should submit a Paid Time Off request in MyTime Self Service. Do not use the paper form because that is just making it harder for HR to approve your vacation hours. If you submit the PTO request on the computer, we can just do a quick glance and click approve. Trust me when I say that the computer simplifies the process. Submit this form before payroll closes for the week that you want to get paid. Payroll closes every Monday morning for the previous work week. You don't actually need to take time off to use vacation hours but we can only approve the amount of vacation hours to bring your total hours up to your average hours. Example: If you worked 20 hours for the week and your average is 25 hours, we can only approve up to 5 vacation hours.

Also, there is a difference between the Unpaid Time Off request and the Paid Time Off request. Unpaid Time Off request is asking to take time off from work. Paid Time Off request is asking to get paid using vacation, personal holiday, or well-being hours. This is an important distinction. Submit whichever form(s) apply to your situation, whether that entails just one or both. Both forms are in MyTime Self Service.

If you can, please avoid using the paper form for anything besides sick time. MyTime Self Service streamlines the tedious paper process.

Last edited:
The vacation, personal holiday, sick, and well-being accruals are hours that you have in your bank that you can use.

For sick time, you can only request it using the paper Time Off Request form. MyTime Self Service doesn't allow you to request sick time for some reason. .
Huh just out of curiosity how does it work in states that let you take off for preventative care where you'd know about your appointment in advance? You have to be scheduled, then call out and use it? Seems like a lose lose as you get dinged for calling out and store has to make up for you calling out.

Huh just out of curiosity how does it work in states that let you take off for preventative care where you'd know about your appointment in advance? You have to be scheduled, then call out and use it? Seems like a lose lose as you get dinged for calling out and store has to make up for you calling out.

Yeah, unfortunately, that is how the policy works. You can only use sick hours when making up for missed shifts, which makes sense since that is indeed the purpose of sick hours. We get a lot of call offs which suck. TMs cannot get written up if they use sick hours although they should be aware that there may be an annual use limit (varies by city/state).

Another way is to do it is to request time off and use well-being time, vacation time, or personal holiday instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back