Archived HR-ETL Telling other team members I put in my two week notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I've never posted on this site before, but I've been working at my Target for a year and 7 months. I accepted another job at an insurance company, so I put in my two week notice with spot. I wasn't malicious about it, and I've been showing up for all of my shifts and will continue to do so until my last shift next week. I only told ONE other TM besides the STL (who I put my notice in with), but one of the softlines TMs asked me why I was leaving. Now, I fully expected the HR-ETL to find out from the STL since she takes care of all of the paperwork. Anyway, I asked the softlines TM, "who told you that?" (The only TM I told, doesn't talk to anyone in softlines.) He said our HR-ETL told him. Should I call the integrity hotline and report this? I don't think it's right for her to be telling people that I'm leaving. Isn't it confidential information between a TM and HR?

Edit: Okay guys. I get it. I'm not offended, I just didn't like HR talking about me. I understand now HR did nothing wrong and I'm not calling the integrity hotline. I just thought it was unprofessional.

Last edited:
Meh, I wouldn't count it as confidential.
There are people who need to know that shifts are going to need to be covered, so of course word gets around.
Calling the Hotline isn't going to change anything.

Good luck on your new job.

Yeah, I get that. The thing is though, I'm covering all of my shifts so there shouldn't be any conversation with other team members about it. She also has a history of gossiping with TMs and telling secrets.

Honestly, if it bothers you, I would ask for a quick meeting with STL and ETL HR. Tell them you didn't tell anyone about your departure because you wanted to avoid gossip. The hotline will just tell the STL, and as you will have left by that time, I don't think anything will be done.

Is it really that big of a deal? Say you're leaving because you found better opportunities elsewhere. I don't want to sound too harsh in a time when everything has to be so politically correct, but geez, this seems like such a non-issue.

Confidential = why you are leaving
Not confidential = that you are leaving

In the future if you want no one to know you are leaving let it be known. Your ETL HR did nothing wrong here

I understand the sentiment. Once an ETL knew what my major was even though I never spoke to them about it directly. This ETL told me that the ETL-HR told him once in a conversation. Not really a big deal either, but I don't like the thought of ETLs talking about me like that when I'm not around.

I have seen in the past that if you're in your work center (not sure your area) it will get around to ask people to cross-train or pick up/open availability for more hours as the result of a tm leaving. It's one thing if they say you're leaving and opportunities arise others may want to take, such as more hours. It is completely different if they are going around telling people your leaving and the reason why. The store is just trying to ensure that that position gets covered in the upcoming future so they don't have a plan in place.

@theanimal That makes sense. My position is hardlines/instocks. Thank you for explaining it in a nice way.
Its natural when tm are approached about different hours/ days/ work centers to ask why there is a need. Etl-hr may have only said a tm was leaving without giving a name. It's not hard to work out who it was.

I understand your feelings, when I transferred I wanted to go without much ado but within hours of talking to HR, I had people from completely unrelated departments running up to me about it. But like the others said, there's really nothing to be done about it. Except be glad you're escaping that gossip-fueled environment!

Yeah, I get that. The thing is though, I'm covering all of my shifts so there shouldn't be any conversation with other team members about it. She also has a history of gossiping with TMs and telling secrets.
Yea, but someone's still gonna have to cover after you leave until they hire an actual replacement.

Is it really that big of a deal? Say you're leaving because you found better opportunities elsewhere. I don't want to sound too harsh in a time when everything has to be so politically correct, but geez, this seems like such a non-issue.

I agree. He/she had a week left. Who gives a rip.

. The topic may have come up in general conversation etc. Not saying its right . Or the etl hr could had been running her mouth and being very unprofessional . If it bothers you I would just say something to them. You could start out by asking what the policy is etc and take it from there.

When we have TMs who don't want people to know they're leaving, they say so when they give their notice. Nobody who knew beforehand says anything until after their last day.

If you didn't ask HR to keep it quiet, it's easy for it to come up during normal, professional conversations with other TMs (letting them know they'll be working more hours, different shifts, training someone new, asking who might want to train in the department, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back