Answered HR, what are the traits you look for in an ideal candidate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My job is to screen candidates and invite them for interviews. What I look for in a candidate when looking at their application is job history (if available), longevity at said job and their responsibilities at that job. Also, I look for good availability, position interest, and assess the answers provided from the questionnaire to see if you are a good fit for an interview in a certain area of the store. Hopefully an ETL/TL can answer your question specifically about traits they look for

Well, I was able to get the interview and get past the initial phone screening, I only had one interview with the TL of Specialty Sales. I was looking to be in electronics but they canned me. I think the major points I messed up in was mentioning school (even though our district will be all digital first semester), availability (I said 8am to 7pm) and the fact that I'm only 17 years old (so I guess this means I'll be unreliable coupled with a myriad of other things) and my stories in the interview weren't spectacular. I guess they were looking for something specific? I dunno.

I'm not entirely sure what they expect. I go to a good school, have good grades, I have the trifecta from CompTIA (although irrelevant) so I especially know my stuff with basic things regarding technology, and I'm around 30 minutes walking distance from the store. I would've been happy to learn new things in the role. It was my first interview ever and it could've been my first job.

After the interview I got the whole "we'll email you within 1-3 days" spiel. Called in the next day to find out that they "went with someone else." and that I could apply again during the holidays. A buddy called in and there's still a position in electronics, figures. It would be great to know where I went wrong so I could improve, but it seems like HR isn't allowed to tell you that you weren't good enough, so I'm at a loss.
Being a minor means you are limited on how many hours you can work. Its likely just your availability is holding you back. At my store we do not normally hire minors for gm roles but it has happened, if you dont get anything else apply again in a couple months for fourth quarter. There may be more positions that your limited availability would be able to fulfill. Also eye contact, confidence, and excitement for working at target goes a long way in interviews.

Its likely just your availability is holding you back.
I didn't know that 8am to 7pm was "limited" to Target. Regardless, it seems like company policy is up to 9:45pm for minors which I can't understand could still be too limited as it's 15 minutes before closing for this store (I can reasonably do anything besides overnight) I guess state laws were in the way, who knows, but my only personal limit is no overnight jobs. The interview might've been horrible to them I suppose.

Last edited:
I didn't know that 8am to 7pm was "limited" to Target. Regardless, it seems like company policy is up to 9:45pm, which I can't understand could still be too limited as it's 15 minutes before closing for this store. I guess state laws were in the way, who knows, but my only personal limit is no overnight jobs. The interview might've been horrible to them I suppose.
I think being a minor also limits the amount of hours you are allowed to work. But that is probably a state regulation so it may be different where you are. I wouldnt worry too much about not getting the job its a difficult market rn and jobs are limited, so having any limitations may be a deal breaker because there will probably be multiple candidates that don't have limitations

In retail, any availability limitations are a hindrance, as well as being a minor. Don't take it personally.

When I screened applicants at my former job, I would bypass anyone who could not work nights until closing and anyone who could not work weekends. Nights and weekends are a must.

Reactions: Dog
Having limited availability and being a minor, and all of the scheduling restrictions that come with it, are probably why you didn’t get the job. Spot likes to have open availability. Basically, they want your availability completely open so they can schedule you whenever they need you, then they schedule you for one four hour shift a week, and often that shift is something undesirable like closing on Sunday night. Just saying.
Beyond availability, can’t speak for the ETLS, but as a TL I was looking for someone who was interested in the job, seemed motivated, appeared to be intelligent enough to handle the job and responsible enough to show up when scheduled, and, most importantly, someone who would be pleasant to work with and would fit in with the team, because I wasn’t just hiring a new TM for Spot, I was hiring a new member of my team, and it’s all about the team. Being dressed appropriately helps, and it’s a plus to say something nice about Target, but you don’t have to go overboard with it. Everyone is nervous answering the questions, those who are interviewing for their first job especially so, and I took that into consideration. There is no “right” answer to the questions, your answers just give us a clue about your experience, how you approach problem solving, how you think on your feet, and how you fit into a team.
The thing is, every interviewer is different, what would get a job offer from one might be a dealbreaker for another. Sometimes it isn’t you, it’s them. Don’t beat yourself up over not getting this job, your availability and age were likely the dealbreakers, and now that you have been through the interview process once, you will have that experience to draw in for your next interview, whether at Spot or elsewhere. Good luck!

Tech is tough to get into for new hires. Everyone (not literally but close enough) under the age of 30 thinks they know tech and applies for it. In reality, what they really want is someone who knows but someone who can learn and who can sell to Boomers. It's a tough task for minors. There's also an issue with giving minors keys and access to all of the security items. Not that minors can't be trusted necessarily, but it's a job where you need people to be extremely responsible and diligent.

Apply for GM. You will need to be able to work nights, but apply. Prove yourself and then ask about moving to tech when there's an opening.

Finally, don't worry that the tech job is still listed as open. Target's policy is always to list jobs as open, even when they aren't so they can collect applications. The store very well might be telling you the truth and just went with another candidate.

I moved on to another company. Every other Target is far away from me or they don’t have a position available in Tech. I’m not in a spot where I need the money but I just wanted to get out of the house and make some money. I was genuinely excited excited about the job and did some research on Target. But it’s no hard feelings, just disappointed I couldn’t make it in because of some unknown reason. I also wanted experience with having a job and having a little more freedom. But I get the gist now, thanks guys.

The job market is screwed right now so I’m assuming the only jobs available are the ones nobody wants to do, and I don’t need to do them. It seems like the half decent ones are being filled with people who got laid off or overqualified for them.

Availability, then experience, then hours requested vs/ department needs, finally in the interview, personality. Target interviews are really focused on energy, passion, and fit.

Even though your school is online, the store must still abide by minor scheduling rules during the school year, effectively making your availability 3pm - 7pm during the week. Someone needs to close Tech, and it would be hard to find someone else who wants to work 7pm - 10pm.
Also, minors cannot sell cell phones, so if that store is plus mobile, you could not be scheduled alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back