Archived Hurricane Harvey Relief and Guests

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you dealing with guest calls asking about Target donations to Harvey relief? I read that Wal mart donated (up to) $20m while Spot has issued this:

We stand alongside the communities impacted by Hurricane Harvey. ❤ We are working closely with the American Red Cross, The Salvation Army USA and Team Rubicon USA to support the recovery efforts. For more details and to view a current list of area store closures: Target’s Response to Hurricane Harvey

Spot again fails the PR war.

wouldn't it be nice if the government provided here instead of needing to rely on public donations

Probably proportional to the gross sales of each corporation. Wal-Mart is much bigger than Target. I'm sure someone has the numbers.

And no, I haven't received a single call at guest services for that .

Probably proportional to the gross sales of each corporation. Wal-Mart is much bigger than Target. I'm sure someone has the numbers.

And no, I haven't received a single call at guest services for that .
That was my initial thought - Wal-Mart makes exponentially more than Target, so, of course they are in a position to donate more. However, Wal-Marts profits aren't even close to 40x what Target makes.

Stores in my area are donating products to people in Houston. From what I heard, it's going specifically to team members and their families but I'm not 100% sure. I don't think it's directly connected to the official monetary donation from corp. At my store we just had people pulling a list of stuff out of the backroom and the GSTL charged it to a store account at the register. Then I guess someone is going to take a truck full of stuff down there.

Several TMs in my store have family in Houston so they've been pulling together lists of needs - not only for THEIR families but for neighbors & other folks.
TMs have been kicking in whatever they can spare - $5-$20 - to help them out.
HR is helping cover shifts for those taking loads of donations.
Nearly all the BTC bedding has flown out the door, men & women's underwear, toiletries, flashlights, etc.

I think someone from corporate reads here. Cornell just sent an email with a total change of tune

So from the 500K initially

Target donating an additional 3 million.

Disaster response fund where team members can give and Target matches dollar for dollar up to 1 million.

100 gift cards given to the 10,000 team members affected by the storms in the Houston region

Additional 500k to community organizations

Always fucking Red Cross and Salvation Army. Garbage.

What is with people always whining about Red Cross? They spend around 90% of the money they take in on the charitable programs they run. This is FAR better than most charities I have experienced.

Sandra Bullock (sometimes Austin native) pledged $1M & Michael Dell has pledged $36M.
Several TMs are headed down to help friends/relatives with trucks of supplies this weekend.

Last edited:
While donating is nice no matter the amount, the original amount seemed rather small compared to other companies. Now they are stepping it up. Though I kinda feel the $100 to give to team members is a slap in the face. Granted they have to spread it throughout all the team members and fortunate they even gave anything but I feel like they should have been given a little more than that. $500 would have been a nice gesture, even $200 would have better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stores in my area are donating products to people in Houston. From what I heard, it's going specifically to team members and their families but I'm not 100% sure. I don't think it's directly connected to the official monetary donation from corp. At my store we just had people pulling a list of stuff out of the backroom and the GSTL charged it to a store account at the register. Then I guess someone is going to take a truck full of stuff down there.

They do this to keep better tracked of counts/$$. If it is charged out to a fake account, that is much easier than having it mixed into an actual store.

I remember the time we lost power at my store and threw out about $95,000 Dollars worth of out of temp food. We had to Qmos it out through a different (fake) store. I was never told why, but mostly likely it was due to insurance purposes.

What is with people always whining about Red Cross? They spend around 90% of the money they take in on the charitable programs they run. This is FAR better than most charities I have experienced.

Haiti. They have a track record of mismanagement from all the way at the top. I'd compare it to giving one disaster victim a 500 dollar dish of caviar instead of responsibly buying bread and bologna to feed hundreds. It's easy to say 90% goes to victims when you're irresponsibly spending it. With their volume of money, that 10% taken out is nothing to sneeze at, either.

Haiti. They have a track record of mismanagement from all the way at the top. I'd compare it to giving one disaster victim a 500 dollar dish of caviar instead of responsibly buying bread and bologna to feed hundreds. It's easy to say 90% goes to victims when you're irresponsibly spending it. With their volume of money, that 10% taken out is nothing to sneeze at, either.
They often also insist on cash only donations which leaves perple waiting when you could already have clean clothes on their backs. Our local chapter pissed me off the last time they stepped in on a house fire literally two blocks from me. I offered to bring out blankets, fresh clothes and pet food and was told they were only taking cash donations til they could assess needs. The home burnt to the ground, they literally needed everything.

They do this to keep better tracked of counts/$$. If it is charged out to a fake account, that is much easier than having it mixed into an actual store.

I remember the time we lost power at my store and threw out about $95,000 Dollars worth of out of temp food. We had to Qmos it out through a different (fake) store. I was never told why, but mostly likely it was due to insurance purposes.

Yeah, when you do a qmos due to power loss and toss more than $x there is a process that tells you what to do differently. It goes under a different number for tracking purposes. I did it back when Sandy hit. Nuts, we threw out almost everything refrigerated/frozen. Guests still wanted to buy things, but we legally couldn't let them due to the temp change.

Couple of teams from our area have already been down to Houston & back with trucks of donations.
The pictures from the area are staggering; one store at least will likely be gutted down to the walls.

They often also insist on cash only donations which leaves perple waiting when you could already have clean clothes on their backs. Our local chapter pissed me off the last time they stepped in on a house fire literally two blocks from me. I offered to bring out blankets, fresh clothes and pet food and was told they were only taking cash donations til they could assess needs. The home burnt to the ground, they literally needed everything.
If they are only taking cash it goes to their pocket. Its a polite fuck you.

Don’t Give $20 to the Red Cross. We Need a New Kind of Humanitarian Relief.

Officials respond to Haiti Red Cross scandal - CNN

Why Haitians are urging people not to donate to American Red Cross

That $10 doesnt go to anyone in HOuston or the gulf coast. Its goes to them for their own purposes.

I think someone from corporate reads here. Cornell just sent an email with a total change of tune

So from the 500K initially

Target donating an additional 3 million.

Disaster response fund where team members can give and Target matches dollar for dollar up to 1 million.

100 gift cards given to the 10,000 team members affected by the storms in the Houston region

Additional 500k to community organizations
I would love to know how 10000 tms are at these stores:

• Beaumont, 5850 Eastex Fwy, Beaumont, TX
  • Humble, 20777 Hwy 59 N, Humble, TX
  • Houston South, 8503 S Sam Houston Pkwy E, Houston, TX
These are the only ones flood damaged. those gift cards are something that should be on workbench somewhere.

Couple of teams from our area have already been down to Houston & back with trucks of donations.
The pictures from the area are staggering; one store at least will likely be gutted down to the walls.

Houston South, 8503 S Sam Houston Pkwy E, Houston, TX

at least 6 feet of standing water because its in the meyerland Pearland area of the city and that area got 40 inchs of rain

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back