Archived I am going to get fired (before I offically quit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been a employee for almost 2 years. I started as a TL hired outright for my original store. I transferred after about 18 months for my hubby to get his dream job and to be closer to family. As a result I went to smaller store and voluntarily stepped down from being a TL and became a regular TM (mostly pricing with some hardlines).

I knew it was going to be hard to get hours but I get maybe 20 a week tops now. And I drive almost 60 miles round-trip every day I work. So it has become too burdensome to maintain this job.

I picked up what was going to be a second job at an employer much closer to my home. I was originally going to balance Target and them, but I also got the opportunity to substitute teach at one of the school in my area (I really want to be a teacher. Its what my degree is in, just have not had the chance). I also interviewed for a full time teaching position and just waiting to here back.

Since I landed the two jobs I will likely need to support myself, I turned in my notice to Target for about 12 days (so not technically 2 weeks). I also had to call in to my last two shifts because of conflicts with my second job (not the subbing). Both times I called in with over 12 hours notice, and the first time I spent over a week trying to find someone to cover for me (but literally no one could or would. The one person that didn't have conflicts decided to pick up a different and conflicting shift that day). I emailed in my notice (and I kept it very professional, just sighting that I was able to purse teaching. My store knew why I originally called off, but they don't know Ive been looking for teaching jobs).

Big thing is... Am I going to get fired for the call ins? I know that the reason (conflicts with my other job) are unexcused (as far as I know), but I did give more than 2 hours notice. In fact I gave over 12 hours the second time, and told them for days while I was working on someone to cover the first time. I also told them now that I wouldn't be able to work the last shift they have me down for as of now.

The big thing is where some stuff is in the air, I don't want to be fired and have it reflect badly on background check.

So... Am I toast?

P.S. If I am termed, should I refuse to sign anything?

You won't be fired as you've given notice but they'll likely mark you as non-rehirable, which would matter only if you ever came back to Target.
There shouldn't be any 'background' or bad review kind of thing because - should a prospective employer call - all Target can do is confirm that you worked during xxx-xxx time.

Yeah they will most likely key you as non rehireables for not finishing your final week but like redeye said sounds like you are getting ready to move on and don't intend to look back.

Target does not tell employers if you did a good (or bad) job. The most they can do is verify you worked there at one time. Hang in there and congrats on the new job

Giving notice at Target is usually giving enough notice before the next 2week schedule is made.
Because every store is different, giving a shorter notice may be kosher with your store as long as your swapped shifts are approved.
I had one management that was well aware and I was interviewing elsewhere outside of retail. But the next management would have died if they knew I was actively looking.

My understanding is that they would only fire you if you were a NCNS for 3 days in a row. Calling in ahead of your schedule shouldn't land you in hot water, but it's Target and they tend to do whatever they please even if it means shooting themselves in the foot.

Dude, you got two jobs lined up. Getting fired from target would be the last thing on my mind. Make sure you use all your sick and vacation time before you get fired though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back