I don’t care anymore. Next week is my final day at Target. Should I just clock in and walk out?

I’ve been at Target for 4 years and I’m pretty much done with it. I’ve been treated like garbage by everyone. From the GSTL’s to the STL to the ETL’s to the self check out people. I’m pretty much done. I’m leaving for school soon and don’t plan on coming back once I’m on break either.

On my final day, I’ve decided I’m gonna walk in and clock in, then walk out and go home. Should I do this? Can I legally be in trouble if I do this? Can target withhold my money if I do this? All answers would be appreciated

Because then I wouldn’t be getting paid on my final day. I still wanna get paid that day, I just don’t wanna work for it.
That would be timeclock fraud. If you did that they’d just add an out punch one minute later and you’d get paid 25 cents (15/60). Don’t burn the bridge, you’ve made it this far, just work the last shift and be done.

OK you're a kid with a lot of growing up to do. Hopefully you will. A shitty self serving attitude like yours is detrimental to your future and you will pay for it. Be an adult, grow up, put in your 2 weeks and work it out. Another thing you must realize is you were there for 4 years. You brought it on yourself and you're not mature enough to admit it. Do the 2, get your check and GTFO.

Because then I wouldn’t be getting paid on my final day. I still wanna get paid that day, I just don’t wanna work for it.
If you want to get paid, then you'll have to actually work. If you want to be petty and think "I'll show them!!!" then you may as well just not even go in at all.

Do you honestly think it's that easy? I hate Tarshit fucking big time but I still clock in and do my job even though I hate the demon spawn of Satan and it's fucking koolaid drink followers aka leaders. Don't show up or do I don't really care but don't screw everybody else. You even flip off the guests while your at it. Even tell the leaders to kiss your ass.

Last edited:

Someday, I hope you might look back on this time in your life, as many of us older folks do, and think "Wow, I sure was a selfish asshole back then."
Until then you asked for advice, take what everyone has said seriously.
If you do go in, just work your shift and be done with it.
If you don't want to work, call out and give them time to find a replacement.
Follow Wheaton's Rule, DON'T BE A DICK!

I’ve been at Target for 4 years and I’m pretty much done with it. I’ve been treated like garbage by everyone. From the GSTL’s to the STL to the ETL’s to the self check out people. I’m pretty much done. I’m leaving for school soon and don’t plan on coming back once I’m on break either.

On my final day, I’ve decided I’m gonna walk in and clock in, then walk out and go home. Should I do this? Can I legally be in trouble if I do this? Can target withhold my money if I do this? All answers would be appreciated
I wouldn't go in on your last day and punch in and leave because they may not pay you for any previous time you worked.

Once they post the newest schedule I would just decide what day you want to quit.

I wouldn't worry whether it is less than two weeks unless you have a lot of vacation hours you could lose.

Write a simple resignation note to your TL (make a copy for yourself) stating your last day is XXX. I would just tell them you are going back to school as a reason otherwise don't give one.

Target might state that you are not rehirable if you give less than two weeks notice which means nothing if you are never coming back.

If a future employer contacts Target all they are going to tell them is when you worked there and MAYBE what you did.

Move on from there. Good luck

If you plan to use Target as a reference, your plan would be a very bad move. Legally, they're allowed to only confirm that you were an employee and what dates you worked. However, there are way to communicate that your mode of departure - and, I'm guessing from your original post, your work performance - was unappreciated.
Used to work HR myself (not at Target) and was on the receiving end of a number of those calls. The caller couldn't see my body language or facial expression, but they could hear my tone of voice. My state allows HR to say if a former employee is eligible for rehire, with either a yes or no answer and no elaboration required (although saying how wonderful a former employee was isn't usually something the person objects to). You want them to say, "Oh, we'd love to have them back again." Not a flat, unequivocal "No."
I remember taking a bit more delight than I should have in my response to that question for an employee who pulled a NCNS move. When we called her the next day, she said she quit. Great, thanks for letting me know and allowing me time to get someone else in place. Was really surprised that she listed the company I worked for as a reference; bad move on her part.

What do you think the op is, a low life, pathetic scum?
From what they've posted so far then yes, yes they are.

Unless OP has any vay-cay accrued, they can certainly burn that bridge.
Punching in & leaving? They'll check cameras to see when you left & act accordingly.

Had a cart attendant years back who walked out in the middle of his shift then came back hours later to clock out.
I'd already made a note of the time he walked out so AP verified on camera & adjusted his hours.
When he picked up his last paycheck he had the balls to complain that he wasn't paid his full hours.
Our ETL-HR was having none of it, walked him thru his last shift & noped him out the door.

Back