Archived I got pulled into the office because a guest complained. Will this affect me or impact bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got asked by ETL-GE that supposedly last week while I was working in Electronics which BTW was really busy working on the truck, someone complained that while this person (a woman) was around therr I never provided any Guest Service (asking her if she was doing ok, she needed any help). Apparently I passed by in front of her 3 times, and all those times I made eye contact with her and nothing from my part. She complained to guest services or something, wrote the information somewhere, so tharat why ETL-GE was reading it. This ETL said to be careful because this went up to headquarters or something like that.

WTF! I don't remember any of this. Now all day I've been panicking, I don't know if this was a coaching, and if I'm close to kose my job.

What a sensitive bitch guest. Why the hell you didn't you ask me anything? I constantly get stopped, and I nicely help people, but why screw me like this?

Last edited:
Meh if you usually have good standing, the ETL will brush it off.

If you're known to have an attitude, or dont help guests, or if this is a repeat offense, you might get a written PDD, or CA.

But you should be fine.

To be fair, especially in electronics guests should come first before projects. If you pass a guest multiple times and they're still in the same general area, stop and ask if they need any help.
Worst they can say is no, and then you can head back to your project. It's easy to forget to guest service when you're busy, I'm not immune to that either because there was plenty of times I straight up forgot to help guests because I was so busy, but guests should always come first.
If it was a coaching you would have signed something that basically states you acknowledge that you were talked to about a situation. If not then it was just a one-on-one talk.
Just remember that even if a guest looks like they know what they're looking for, a quick "Can I help you find anything?" or "Need any help?" should be enough to keep them happy.

To be fair, especially in electronics guests should come first before projects. If you pass a guest multiple times and they're still in the same general area, stop and ask if they need any help.
Worst they can say is no, and then you can head back to your project. It's easy to forget to guest service when you're busy, I'm not immune to that either because there was plenty of times I straight up forgot to help guests because I was so busy, but guests should always come first.
If it was a coaching you would have signed something that basically states you acknowledge that you were talked to about a situation. If not then it was just a one-on-one talk.
Just remember that even if a guest looks like they know what they're looking for, a quick "Can I help you find anything?" or "Need any help?" should be enough to keep them happy.

You don't have to sign anything for a coaching. It could very well have been a coaching and the OP wouldn't know unless the ETL told them or they asked the ETL. You're thinking of CAs.

I actively read the MyGuest surveys. Believe me guest complain about everything. Even things beyond anyone's control. Honestly, I find it strange that the ETL-GE wasted his or her time talking to you about this in the office. I would have just told you on the floor to be more mindful of the guest because we have gotten some complaints about guest being ignored, I know you guys get busy but try to work on that.

Simple.

If we we're able to coach ETLs, a lot of them would be fired. That GE probably is guilty of being stopped by guest and instead of using the dedicated MyDevice they have decides to scream over the walkie "team guest assistance in...". Meanwhile a team member would get coach for not assisting the guest o_O

Last edited:
As a regular TM I don''t have access to guest comments anymore.....wish I did.
Most guests who do surveys are either really happy and want to share their good experience with the upper level folks.......the rest of the guests who do surveys are usually pissed off and will gripe about everything....even if it didn't really happen!!

In electronics, you should actively seek out the guest, not the other way around.

The guest is probably feeling and asking the same questions you are. “Why screw me like this?”

This exact reason is why I always, every receipt I get, if it has a survey I will take it. For everywhere. I took a DMV survey today lol. And no matter what happened (I really don’t think I’ve ever had a bad experience at a store, anything worth complaining about at least) I always leave a GLOWING survey, perfect scores for everything. Just because I know how important they are and how much one of those could help the employees.

But I really doubt your complaint was sent to headquarters... everyone (even your ETL even though they can’t admit it) knows that the guest that left that survey was an entitled baby who thinks the world revolves around them and could not believe their presence wasn’t acknowledged. If they really needed help, they had (according to them, however I doubt this happened) 3 instances of eye contact to say “excuse me” and ask for help like a normal adult.

This exact reason is why I always, every receipt I get, if it has a survey I will take it. For everywhere. I took a DMV survey today lol. And no matter what happened (I really don’t think I’ve ever had a bad experience at a store, anything worth complaining about at least) I always leave a GLOWING survey, perfect scores for everything. Just because I know how important they are and how much one of those could help the employees.

But I really doubt your complaint was sent to headquarters... everyone (even your ETL even though they can’t admit it) knows that the guest that left that survey was an entitled baby who thinks the world revolves around them and could not believe their presence wasn’t acknowledged. If they really needed help, they had (according to them, however I doubt this happened) 3 instances of eye contact to say “excuse me” and ask for help like a normal adult.
Yeah ..... actually, if it did happen like that , the TM should have inquired if the guest needs any help. Atleast greet the guest, I mean they are our guests after all. Be welcoming.

In electronics, you should actively seek out the guest, not the other way around.

The guest is probably feeling and asking the same questions you are. “Why screw me like this?”
At stores with target mobile (idk if all do), this can be tricky.
I was covering a GSA/TL shift recently and had a woman ranting and cursing about our electronics TM ignoring her, then stormed out yelling about complaints to corporate and blah blah. I know that electronics TM pretty well and it didn’t seem like him to ignore a guest, so I asked him about this woman (she had distinctive features...). He knew exactly who I was talking about and said that she was trying to purchase a cell phone with the target mobile guy and that HE (mobile guy) kept ignoring her in favor of another guest he was already working with. Electronics TM can’t help with target mobile stuff so he went back to zoning toys.
Can see how guests wouldn’t like that though if there are a few of them waiting around....

No thanks
I guess...
8120b6b943ae734072106fc393d7ed068443ae70898016150189cfdb0d9633eb.jpg

So I got asked by ETL-GE that supposedly last week while I was working in Electronics which BTW was really busy working on the truck, someone complained that while this person (a woman) was around therr I never provided any Guest Service (asking her if she was doing ok, she needed any help). Apparently I passed by in front of her 3 times, and all those times I made eye contact with her and nothing from my part. She complained to guest services or something, wrote the information somewhere, so tharat why ETL-GE was reading it. This ETL said to be careful because this went up to headquarters or something like that.

WTF! I don't remember any of this. Now all day I've been panicking, I don't know if this was a coaching, and if I'm close to kose my job.

What a sensitive bitch guest. Why the hell you didn't you ask me anything? I constantly get stopped, and I nicely help people, but why screw me like this?

Even if you were coached its still nothing serious unless it keeps happening. Greet every guest and offer assistance as much as you can.

urvey was an entitled baby who thinks the world revolves around them and could not believe their presence wasn’t acknowledged. If they really needed help, they had (according to them, however I doubt this happened) 3 instances of eye contact to say “excuse me” and ask for help like a normal adult

I think they do go to corporate, and seem to get passed along quickly. We had a bit of a heated chat between a cashier and a guest. Less than 2 hrs later the cashier was pulled into the STL's office to discuss what happened. She was told it was in response to the guests survey, not that the guest called the store directly.

I think they do go to corporate, and seem to get passed along quickly. We had a bit of a heated chat between a cashier and a guest. Less than 2 hrs later the cashier was pulled into the STL's office to discuss what happened. She was told it was in response to the guests survey, not that the guest called the store directly.

survey responses can be viewed by leadership at the store in myGuest, it probably has nothing to do with corporate unless that guest called Guest Relations

There are people who will make complaints just for fun or who have a chip on their shoulder. And there are guests who will not initiate conversation but expect service promptly.

The mobile scenario is also a good one.

I'll clear up the confusion about going up to corporate. If a guest fills out a survey and gives a 1 they're labeled as a detractor. Detractor = person who will tell others not to shop at Target. When someone is a detractor the ETL-GE is obligated to contact that person who filled out the survey within a certain time frame. If he or she doesn't respond in time it goes up to corporate.

Corporate usually gives these people gift cards and all types of stuff. This is the one job ETL-GE must do or else he will hear it from the STL who will hear it from the DTL.

It's a ridiculous system because some of them who put a 1 have ludicrous complaints.

P.S Team Leads have access to the surveys but can't see the guest names or contact them (we can see the cashier). If an ETL is signed in the guest name is visible and you can contact them if they want to be contacted.

A side note, STLs actively monitor MyGuest too. So sometimes they will email us to address a complaint. However, it is the ETL-GE ownership. Since it can become a corporate issue the STL is always lurking.

My issue is no recognition for the people who provide service that sparked a guest to fill out a survey with 10s and a glowing comment. I'm usually the only one telling the team members about those positive surveys. Above me only care about the negatives.

In my store, you'd be expected to at least ask "Can I help you find something?" because guests first. We also have to sign when we're coached.

Depending on your standing and quality of service, this could have just been a reminder to be more aware of guests but if you have a less than stellar attitude or reputation, it could have been a coaching.

But I really doubt your complaint was sent to headquarters...

Bad surveys are a killer right now. Our GVP came to our store and brought up a bad survey from two months ago.

So yes they are being monitored.

Most stores don't even care about red cards anymore because the NPS score is king right now.

We also have to sign when we're coached.

You don't sign for coachings there is nowhere to sign. You only sign for correctives.

Last edited:
In my store, you'd be expected to at least ask "Can I help you find something?" because guests first. We also have to sign when we're coached.

Depending on your standing and quality of service, this could have just been a reminder to be more aware of guests but if you have a less than stellar attitude or reputation, it could have been a coaching.

Sign what? Coaching document doesn't even have an area for that. Are you sure you're not referring to CAs?

I must have been mistaking coachings for CA's for some reason while typing up my response last night tbh, my bad ya'll.

I have been told that our discussion was "documented", however I never actually signed anything nor saw any documents. This is literally the only experience I have with being "coached" besides a NCNS I had 3 years ago, (Where I actually signed a paper) but someone switched "This Week's" and "Next Weeks" schedule, on our magnet board.

Which is why I woke up at the same time I would have gone to work (2:30am, but instead went quality heavy in Bloodborne)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back