I guess I will never have my own set of keys for powered equipment...

I worked at places thirty years ago that required documented training.
Spot used to and were very strict about it, too. Heaven help the person caught using any powered equipment without being certified and certification required both instruction and practical training. Then we had an SD (STL at that time) and HR-ETL change, and all the old rules and standards seemed to go out the window along with all the better parts of store culture. Sad, really. 🙁

Really? At my store, they showed me how to use the wave for like 15 minutes and then I got my own key lmao. Technically speaking I'm not certified on paper though.
One of my shift leaders showed me how to use the wave a long time ago, but she never gave me a spare key. She only told me that if I needed to use the wave, to let her know or to ask another shift leader...

When my old boss was there, he used to say "if the bale ever gets full, I'll show you how to make a bale!" I'm still waiting! I still joke around with my shift leaders about that, whenever they ask me to process everyone's cardboard...

Hehehe

I’ve been a member of the red and khaki cult for some time now… [redacted]

drat the following story was rather good but a little to specific. No need to give the target IT forensics team an easier day. But that opening line was rather to good not to use.

The overnight team turned the key to “on” and broke it off in the lock. Not a great respecter of rules, our overnight team…
Our baler works differently, so it's not an issues for us, but as an overnight TM, I sympathize, even if it is vandalism. We deal with such a HUGE amount of cardboard -- for each department! -- that having to wait for a single person/leader with a key would seriously hinder workflow/speed. And yes, if it's not immediately convenient to dispose of their cardboard, people would just leave it.

Hell, even my own best practice for disposing my own cardboard -- pre-crush, fill and crush as needed for volume, final crush before leaving -- would be difficult if there were a single key holder.

Last edited:
Our baler works differently, so it's not an issues for us, but as an overnight TM, I sympathize, even if it is vandalism. We deal with such a HUGE amount of cardboard -- for each department! -- that having to wait for a single person/leader with a key would seriously hinder workflow/speed. And yes, if it's not immediately convenient to dispose of their cardboard, people would just leave it.

Hell, even my own best practice for disposing my own cardboard -- pre-crush, fill and crush as needed for volume, final crush before leaving -- would be difficult if there were a single key holder.
Yes, same here, that running for a key constantly would have slowed things down and caused more of a mess than we had anyway, which is why store leadership turned a blind eye to that broken key. In fact, if it hadn’t been discovered on a rare visit that included even more rare safety checks it probably never would have been fixed, and a short time after it was fixed, guess what happened again?😁

Yes, same here, that running for a key constantly would have slowed things down and caused more of a mess than we had anyway, which is why store leadership turned a blind eye to that broken key. In fact, if it hadn’t been discovered on a rare visit that included even more rare safety checks it probably never would have been fixed, and a short time after it was fixed, guess what happened again?😁
We used to just leave the key in it but then after a visit I was told that was not allowed anymore so I put I nail in the wall by the baler & hung the baler key on it. Next visit I was told nope baler key needed to be locked up, so out of spite I hung a lockbox on the wall put the baler key in it and hung the lockbox key next to it. Next visit & I was told that was fine, go figure...Target logic in a nut shell right there

We used to just leave the key in it but then after a visit I was told that was not allowed anymore so I put I nail in the wall by the baler & hung the baler key on it. Next visit I was told nope baler key needed to be locked up, so out of spite I hung a lockbox on the wall put the baler key in it and hung the lockbox key next to it. Next visit & I was told that was fine, go figure...Target logic in a nut shell right there
I'm going to suggest this at my store.

#1 You have to be certified on power equipment.
#2 you can buy crown keys online, not that you should waste your money.
#3 your TL's sound shitty.
I coworker of mine has a bootlegged one that he lets me borrow whenever I need to use the wave.

Very useful

Despite being a key carrier, I get the runaround when I ask for keys, so I've resorted to scrounging a nearly full set from departing TLs. Of which there are plenty.
Good plan. My last act before leaving was to ride the wave one last time and pass on my key to a very deserving, hardworking TM who needed one.😁

That's why I keep my crown and baler key on a separate ring. I can give it to a TM without giving away more important keys.

Key control . Are you a key carrier ? If you aren’t also in the handbook you won’t see that you are allowed to have keys either .
Yes I am. I needed to show the rule. We have 20 extra keys floating around. One guy left his car keys in the baler and had 3 new gold baler keys on there. Thanks for the info!

Back