I just got COMPLETELY screwed over by HR and my store. Holy crap. I think I'm gonna lose it

A few weeks ago, I went on the computer at the store to schedule time off from July 18th to July 24th. I will be going on vacation with my family on that date. It's been long planed. I thought everything was gonna be good. However, I checked my schedule this morning and saw that I'm scheduled for four shifts that week. That's f*cking bullsh*t. I went on the computer today and saw that my request for time off was auto-denied.

I went and talked to the STL (right now we don't have an HR because she quit) and she told me I'm responsible for all of those shifts because I didn't tell anybody that I wanted time off. I told her that I've been working at Target for 4 years and if I ever wanted time off all I had to do was go on the computer and request it there. Nobody told me I also had to let a TL know about it until now. She basically said "Too bad you still have to work those shifts"

So basically my options are cancelling my vacation, cancelling the flight, cancelling the hotel reservations, and telling my family I can't go because the store messed up, or calling out 4 days in a row which will surely get me fired.

F*ck Target. F*cking assholes

Sorry to hear about your trip. I know your pissed but your STL is right. I always let the TL "and" ETL know ahead if the time off would be fine and following up with them before the 2 weeks schedule is made. Putting in a request on the computer is just part of the process. From experience, putting in a request too early can cause an auto denial. As soon as I put in the request in the system I let my ETL know.

Can you try to find someone to take your shifts?

so in 4 years of working at target every single time off request you ever put in was approved and none were ever denied?

i’m not like gonna call you a liar or anything but that’s some real unicorn shit. i don’t know a single person who hasn’t had a time off request denied at least once and then had to talk to their etl about it

Sorry to hear about your trip. I know your pissed but your STL is right. I always let the TL "and" ETL know ahead if the time off would be fine and following up with them before the 2 weeks schedule is made. Putting in a request on the computer is just part of the process. From experience, putting in a request too early can cause an auto denial. As soon as I put in the request in the system I let my ETL know.

My vacations always seem to be auto denied. I always remind my tl and their boss I made the request. I've even sent emails reminding them.
I remind them the week they would be making the schedule. So guess what it goes auto denied again. I point it out to them that they didn't schedule me off. They've never told me I couldn't take off. I think the just fail to follow up and goes auto denied the week they do the schedule.

That sucks and kind of fucked up. However you should at the least check amd make sure that it was approved in the system. To be safe always tell your TL, ETL, HR, SD and anyone else that will listen just to make sure.

A few weeks ago, I went on the computer at the store to schedule time off from July 18th to July 24th. I will be going on vacation with my family on that date. It's been long planed. I thought everything was gonna be good. However, I checked my schedule this morning and saw that I'm scheduled for four shifts that week. That's f*cking bullsh*t. I went on the computer today and saw that my request for time off was auto-denied.

I went and talked to the STL (right now we don't have an HR because she quit) and she told me I'm responsible for all of those shifts because I didn't tell anybody that I wanted time off. I told her that I've been working at Target for 4 years and if I ever wanted time off all I had to do was go on the computer and request it there. Nobody told me I also had to let a TL know about it until now. She basically said "Too bad you still have to work those shifts"

So basically my options are cancelling my vacation, cancelling the flight, cancelling the hotel reservations, and telling my family I can't go because the store messed up, or calling out 4 days in a row which will surely get me fired.

Don't panic. The same thing has happened to me, even after I've told them I requested off and had them say OK. Just go around the store and ask TLs if they know of anyone on their teams looking to pick up hours. Then, ask those people if they can take the shifts. If you really get along with any of the TLs, they'll do the asking TMs for you because they want their people to get their desired hours.

I would NOT cancel the vacation.

Best - find coverage for those shifts - I know plenty of people are looking for hours - I just hope it’s doing something they know

if you can’t, then call out - EACH day. The only consequence should be a conversation with you about the 4 call-offs and probably documented to see if your attendance improves - will go away as long as your attendance is good the following month.

Post the shifts. Then call in. Chill on vaca.

No we shouldn't have to ask and beg for time off cause they can't do a basic function of their damn jobs. They spend enough time in the fucking office ordering food they can at least do the damn paperwork while they are sitting on their asses..

<yes I am on a tear, it's been a day.>

See it's shit like this that is one of the many things wrong with this company. They give all this time off but won't let you use it. It's like what's the point of requesting time off if it's just gonna get auto denied and I have to go my leader to get the time off. That makes absolutely no sense. What if I forget about telling my leader becuase he/she's not there when i request. The company response is to get fucked that's what. My response would be to call in and not show up.

It drives me fucking batty that nobody checks time off requests when the ETL that would normally check those requests goes on vacation. I have no fucking idea when my ETL goes on vacation, nor is it any of my business, so it's not like I can plan my requests around his time off. I work 3 nights a week. I see my ETL maybe once every 3 weeks, on average. My TLs don't control the schedule (and I don't see them consistently, either, especially since one often works overnight).

When an ETL goes on vacation someone else should be checking the time off requests for their team. It's generally a once-a-week thing, so really not that hard to cover.

I REALLY hate auto-deny. I also think that whomever makes the schedule should have to put in an override code when they go to schedule someone on a day that they requested off and it was approved. It's just rude.

Whenever you request time off, you have to double check to see if it was approved, auto-denied, or denied. Never assume that it is fine.

I REALLY hate auto-deny. I also think that whomever makes the schedule should have to put in an override code when they go to schedule someone on a day that they requested off and it was approved. It's just rude.

Whenever you request time off, you have to double check to see if it was approved, auto-denied, or denied. Never assume that it is fine.
I have worked at Spot for six years and just heard of auto-deny.

I just resubmitted and had my vacation approved because I heard of that.

As to whether your TL knows your gone or not is not my problem IMHO.

I will print out of my vacation approval before hand to have a paper record.

No we shouldn't have to ask and beg for time off cause they can't do a basic function of their damn jobs. They spend enough time in the fucking office ordering food they can at least do the damn paperwork while they are sitting on their asses..

<yes I am on a tear, it's been a day.>
Amen

I’ve put in request 6 months prior and never had auto deny for putting in too soon. I’ve had auto deny for putting in too late.

so in 4 years of working at target every single time off request you ever put in was approved and none were ever denied?

i’m not like gonna call you a liar or anything but that’s some real unicorn shit. i don’t know a single person who hasn’t had a time off request denied at least once and then had to talk to their etl about it
Only once in my ten years did I have a request denied by a leader and only a about 2 of 3 auto denied.

I always put in my requests as soon as know I need the time off. I’ve done it 6 months in advance before. Only once in 10 years did a leader deny my request. I’ve had auto deny maybe 3 times just because I put in request late.

Back